• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Shin Megami Tensei IV
  3. Trumpeter is a mass halucination

User Info: ergspace1

ergspace1
3 months ago#1
Been saving/reloading for about two hours now. I'm averaging about four attempts per minute which means I've attempted roughly 480 times total. Considering his spawn rate is something like 1:256 I feel like I've been pretty unlucky. I actually have a long video essay about probability going on in the background while I'm doing this. These very smart math nerds seem to be arguing about quantum entanglement, one of them co-wrote a book with Stephen Hawking. They cannot help me.

This is probably the point at which I give up for another year or so. Going to give it thirty more minutes and then I'm throwing in the towel. I'm tired of being stuck in Kiccigiorgi, I'm tired of the stupid swirling leaves at the X intersection. If SMTV were out right now I wouldn't be doing this. Considering filing a frivilous lawsuit on Atlus to cover for the carpal tunnel I'm developing in my left thumb.

Yes. I am doing it right. Post-alignment lock, doing a save/reload, just bad odds and bad luck.

User Info: Cogito

Cogito
3 months ago#2
i spend over 7 days to initiate a battle that lasts for minutes.
Hito wa mikake ni yoranu mono
http://imgur.com/cFMo9gI

ergspace1
3 months ago#3
The struggle was real. I did finally get him but it ended up taking something like eight to nine more hours of grinding for the encounter. I don't even want to try for Plasma any more, I've heard he's even more annoying based on where he spawns and my thumbs are pretty sore. I really, really, really, should have just done this on an emulator.

User Info: astralmeson

astralmeson
3 months ago#4
ergspace1 posted...
The struggle was real. I did finally get him but it ended up taking something like eight to nine more hours of grinding for the encounter. I don't even want to try for Plasma any more, I've heard he's even more annoying based on where he spawns and my thumbs are pretty sore. I really, really, really, should have just done this on an emulator.

Genuinely curious, what makes it faster on an emulator? AFAIK whether he's there or not would be 'set' the same way if you use save states, so unless there's a cheat to guarantee Fiend spawns, I don't think it would help.

User Info: Cogito

Cogito
3 months ago#5
congrats, tc.
Hito wa mikake ni yoranu mono
http://imgur.com/cFMo9gI

ergspace1
2 months ago#6
astralmeson posted...
Genuinely curious, what makes it faster on an emulator? AFAIK whether he's there or not would be 'set' the same way if you use save states, so unless there's a cheat to guarantee Fiend spawns, I don't think it would help.

My assumption, and this may be incorrect, is that whatever emulator is out there for the 3DS has the ability to fast-forward as many other emulators do. Which if that's the case would speed up the cycle of load, walk, reload. Also as I understand it the game determines whether a fiend will spawn when you enter the area in which they will spawn, which means, you could also just use a save state just before you've entered the area. This would save time on the re-loading part of the cycle.

User Info: astralmeson

astralmeson
2 months ago#7
ergspace1 posted...
My assumption, and this may be incorrect, is that whatever emulator is out there for the 3DS has the ability to fast-forward as many other emulators do. Which if that's the case would speed up the cycle of load, walk, reload. Also as I understand it the game determines whether a fiend will spawn when you enter the area in which they will spawn, which means, you could also just use a save state just before you've entered the area. This would save time on the re-loading part of the cycle.

Ah, I was purely thinking of the save states, which generally wouldn't actually make it better. Since you can save anywhere, spawning Trumpeter still just means saving in Mikado and running through Kiccigiorgi. So a save state wouldn't actually speed that up. But yes, Citra does let you set the game to 800% speed or whatever for faster running.

User Info: NNNnobody

NNNnobody
2 months ago#8
ergspace1 posted...
I really, really, really, should have just done this on an emulator.
I dropped the fiend hunt for like five years until I could do it that way.
You can call me a fanboy if you feel better then.
The claw is the only true way of camera control.
  1. Boards
  2. Shin Megami Tensei IV
  3. Trumpeter is a mass halucination
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A