Does the game allow alignment with YHVH?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Shin Megami Tensei IV
  3. Does the game allow alignment with YHVH?

User Info: beardedbeard

beardedbeard
5 months ago#1
I'm looking for games in the series that allow alignment with YHVH. It's kind of hard to read the wiki on them without getting spoilers. I know MTII (kind of) and SMT allow it, but I can't tell about this one or any of the other games he's featured in.

User Info: Kuuko

Kuuko
5 months ago#2
YHVH himself is not really present in this game. You can align with Merkabah, who is a fusion of the 4 Archangels and is a step below YHVH. YHVH has a much bigger presence in the sequel game SMT4A but the Law ending in that one is also more like siding with Merkabah than siding with YHVH.
http://i.imgur.com/dzGMd.jpg

User Info: MaxStar360

MaxStar360
5 months ago#3
Following Law in this game is the same as following YHVH's wishes.

But a specific plot twist in 4A kinda ends up.... argh I can't spoil it but you end up pleasing him no matter your choices in 4.
I yearn for a kindred soul, knowing full well I'll never find one. Ah, such are the whims of fate...

beardedbeard
4 months ago#4
Awesome, thanks for the input from both of y'all. I wasn't even interested in Apocalypse all that much, but I may have to check that one out as well. BTW, I'm also looking at the new Strange Journey remake, and was curious how the alignment woks in that as well. I'd ask on the board for that one, but I've already started his thread.

MaxStar360
4 months ago#5
Apoc does NOT end well for YHVH in the proper endings so if you are say... a religious type wishing to idk... serve God in this game or something (?) well... yeah, you won't like Apoc.

Great game, tho.
I yearn for a kindred soul, knowing full well I'll never find one. Ah, such are the whims of fate...

beardedbeard
4 months ago#6
Oh, I misread your first post. I see now. You end up pleasing him in IV, not IVA, no matter what path you take. Yes, I'm quite the "religious type" but really my interest in seeing how he is portrayed in some games, and I figured the games that had alignment would give me the most material to analyze. I only bother having a 3DS anymore so I was just looking at the titles for that.

MaxStar360
4 months ago#7
In SMT series as a whole, he is a vain, egotistical villain.

Only in Devil Survivor Overclocked is he given a much better light. You should definitely check that one out.
(message deleted)

beardedbeard
4 months ago#9
Hm, I looked at devil survivor, but it seems like more of a VN closer to the Persona subseries than a dungeon crawler. I know IV isn't as "crawley" as the original SMT or Strange Journey (the two I'm most interested in), but it seems closer to that style. I'll keep it in mind though since the strategy and time aspect actually looks really neat.

To be honest, the character YHVH doesn't offend me much from the little I've read. The overview I saw was similar to what you described and it actually made me interested because I have a sneaking suspicion that the character YHVH is closer to the nature of YHWH than may nominal Western Christians believe. I could probably go on a rant about it, but suffice it to say Western professing Christians often consider the God of the Bible as some cosmic butler/genie combo that just wants us to be nice to each other and happy in this life. Sadly atheists that are against God can be closer to the truth of God's nature (though there's no philosophical moral ground to stand on when they say His nature makes Him evil or whatever).

The way you described YHVH being pleased no matter what you do in SMT IV sounds closer to the sovereign aspect of God. Not that He's pleased with evil, but he uses the rebellious to achieve His own ends. Also there is scripture like James 4:4 that says friendship of the (fallen) world is hatred of God. So even the Bible draws these hard and distinct lines about allegiance. I won't go much further into theology since this is a game board, and I'll probably get banned lol. But to me the most offensive part is the suggestion in some games that there is a power above him, and that you can "kill" him.

MaxStar360
4 months ago#10
beardedbeard posted...
. But to me the most offensive part is the suggestion in some games that there is a power above him, and that you can "kill" him.

This is exactly what I meant about Apoc. It happens in both proper endings. Spoilers but it'll give you the proper idea...

You kill YHVH by using the power of observation granted to humans by the Axiom (new name for the Great Will) and... welll..... using that power to turn YHVH into a demon. No, I'm not joking...
  1. Boards
  2. Shin Megami Tensei IV
  3. Does the game allow alignment with YHVH?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived