• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy Dimensions
  3. New to the game, a few questions and comments.

User Info: brainfriiz

brainfriiz
8 years ago#1
This game is a BLAST! I was sort of put off at first because the combat design greatly reminded me of FFIV (my least favorite battle system in the FF series) merely with a FFV job class overlay, but five hours in the combat is far better balanced to my tastes than I initially thought and I have had difficulty putting it down the next five hours in until now.

-Questions

1. Does party order affect how often characters are attacked? I feel like characters at the top of the list are attacked more often than those at the bottom and as such have been placing characters in order of hardiness, but this could well be my imagination (yes I am aware of the effect of rows). If this isn't true, well hello Alba/Nacht perma-leads! (especially since I understand the party leader decides the battle music after parties merge).

2. What class combinations should I consider building up, particularly in light of F-Abilities? I don't mean like Alba should be this or Sol that, but as in:

White Mage (15) + Bard (20) + Seer (20)
[x2]Warrior (17) + Dark Knight (10) + Ninja (20)
Red Mage (20) + White Mage (17) + Summoner (3) + Seer (15)
Red Mage (5) + Black Mage (19) + Magus (20)
Thief (10) + Ninja (20) + Dancer (12)

etc, I just made those up.

I'm probably going to answer this myself as I intend to copy/paste the class progression together with F-Abilities from Holy Knight's FAQ and synthesize how I should level each in combination together.

I also intend to not bother with Memorist unless I become really addicted and simultaneously bored with wanting something to do late post game.

3. When exactly do offensive mages drop off? Before Final Boss, before Final Superboss, or only in gamebreaking ultra specific strategies that are truly unnecessary even in taking on the final superboss? They can never seem to make both mages and warriors near-equally gamebreaking, it's always one or the other.

4. I found out about Ramuh's den AFTER I completed the Dragoon. Will I be able to go there the next time I am able to play the Light Warriors? If not and I am plot forced to move on, when will be the next time I can check it out? Hopefully quite some time before the end of the game. As well as I understand the extra cave in Deist that the moogle warned me not to enter was basically lying to me. Is that basically the 'extra' dungeon of the chapter for those buying episodically, ala The After Years? So more or less if I encounter such silly moogles in the future I should take their words with a grain of salt and try my luck anyway?

-Comments

0. <3 <3 Alba <3 <3 WHY OH WHY did they FINALLY have to throw in a twintails character in a Final Fantasy game? And to top it off they gave her the personality trifecta of wit/humor/dirty mind with above party-level average intelligence. It's like they want me to hate every other character in comparison.

It also doesn't help that ALL OF HER SPRITES LOOK THE COOLEST for every job! She was going to be my Black Mage but if her DK looks as amazing as the rest, she will be going the melee route. Black Mage is a terrible waste for her sprite potential.

<3 <3 Alba <3 <3

1. The music is actually pretty good! I definitely need to add these battle themes to my collection. 'Specially dat Warriors of Darkness battle theme. I haven't heard their boss theme yet, I don't recall.

2. I'm ten hours into the game in the cave leading to Yggdrasil. I also missed the first dirty magazine scene in the light chapter! >_< As well hk's FAQ lied to me and I only saw a few in the dark chapter because Alba's lead scene took away the magazine, though the FAQ lists Glaive's as doing that. I'm still trying to find the scenes on youtube because I feel like I am missing out.

3. This game might beat FFX-2 for best ATB system.

4. Any interest in a message board style RPG? This game is inspiring.
(message deleted)

User Info: holyknight14

holyknight14
8 years ago#3
1) Party order doesn't affect enemy priority in any way and the party leader doesn't affect the map or battle theme at all once the parties merge.

2) Hastega, Boost Jump, Final Heaven, Mighty Wall, White Wind, Full Cure / Midareyuki, Phantom Rush... I think that's all the useful ones. I can't even remember half of these anymore.

3) Offensive magic has peaks and valleys throughout the entire game. For all of Chapter 1, Black Mages are basically worthless. They pick up considerably during the first half of Chapter 2, but then fall again until the second half of Chapter 3. Once you get -aga tier and Comet, they are basically uber until the end of the game. At that point, whether or not they are useful is going to be dependent on how you setup your melee characters. If you're into stat maxing and optimization, then offensive magic will be completely dwarfed by your melee fighters.

4) You can use rifts to jump between completed segments of the game to pick up whatever you missed. That cave isn't a challenge dungeon, it's a really tiny, but dangerous, Avenger filled hole with a forgettable sword and a useful accessory in two treasure chests.

User Info: bigdaddyjug

bigdaddyjug
8 years ago#4
Black magic seems to be slightly overpowered for about half a story segment right after you get each new level of damage spells.

In the long run, Fusion Abilities are going to be the best damage, healing, and buffing you can do. An optimized final party might not have any jobs in it that you would consider a "caster" because of the way you can assign abilities to other classes once you learn them and the way F-abilities work.

The final party I am going for is:

Sol - PLD, melee DPSer and buffer
Aigis - DRG, healer and he can DPS when healing isn't needed
Sarah - same exact setup as Aigis
Nacht - NIN, all DPS all the time
Diana - NIN, support and DPS
3DS FC: 2294-8204-2362 | PSN ID: Bigdaddyjug
Founder and pastor of the First Orthodox Church of Bacon

User Info: Sir_Phoenix88

Sir_Phoenix88
8 years ago#5
1. Does party order affect how often characters are attacked?

No. I'm not sure if front-row or back-row might influence it, but I suspect that it doesn't.

2. What class combinations should I consider building up, particularly in light of F-Abilities? I don't mean like Alba should be this or Sol that, but as in:

If you get every single Moogle Coin, You can master 5 jobs, and get up to level 17 in a 6th without beating the game once. If you are min-maxxing, pick your must have abilities (recollect, final heaven, midareyuki, phantom rush), and use the highest level needed for those jobs to pick. Just remember to save yourself 17 jp to max the class you actually want to end with.

3. When exactly do offensive mages drop off? Before Final Boss, before Final Superboss, or only in gamebreaking ultra specific strategies that are truly unnecessary even in taking on the final superboss? They can never seem to make both mages and warriors near-equally gamebreaking, it's always one or the other.

Mages remain very useful until you start grinding out levels and f-abilities, especially if you grind out doublecast early. (Not necessary to enjoy game and not efficient if you're doing the ULTIMATE party (which I don't.))

4. I found out about Ramuh's den AFTER I completed the Dragoon. Will I be able to go there the next time I am able to play the Light Warriors? (snip)

You can use portals to warp back to previous chapters to do things prior. In some cases, you will need to, such as the Dancer's Dance of Veils ability.

On a side note, I love the format of your fusion ability list! I will be looking forward to the rest of it!

User Info: alt_reality

alt_reality
8 years ago#6
Alba is a treasure, huh?

I've littered countless topics with optimal builds but here are some general tips:

Recollect is game-breaking if you gather all of the memories.

Phantom Rush soaks up properties of both weapons (element and strong against x enemy type) in every hit which makes it have more damage potential than any single ability in the game. (Final Heaven is inherently holy but the only way you break 9999 is with the Ultima Weapon or Valhalla which don't have any strong against x enemy type properties.)

Last Resort makes you epically powerful and fast to the point that the doom counter won't matter for the majority of the main game.

Final Heaven is pretty much the only worthwhile endgame DPS option for your light side fighters. Ivory Slash is okay if you don't want to devote the 20 levels into Monk though.

Offensive mages are completely outclassed endgame due to their casting speed but you get three throwaway characters and it can be useful during most of the game.

Alba is the coolest and you should include her in your final party even if she is statistically the worst character.

brainfriiz
8 years ago#7

==============================================================================
-- Fusions Based on Job --
==============================================================================

Thanks to holyknight14 for assembling this information for his FAQ.

The lists are in order of lowest level Fusion to highest leveled Fusion. This way you can easily see how high you need to level a job for the desired Fusion.

You need to use the abilities to unlock the Fusion.

<Name [Required JLVLs] Abilities (Effects)>

+ Light Warriors only
- Dark Warriors only

ST Single Target
MT Multi Target
cHP Current Hit Points
mHP Maximum Hit Points

Warrior
-------

-ID Break [Warrior + Ranger 12] Strike + Quick Shot (ST Damage + Silence)
Thunder Slash [Warrior 1 + Black Mage 1] Strike + Thunder (ST Lightning damage)
Nab Gil [Warrior 3 + Thief 1] Bash + Pickpocket (ST Attack + Steal Gil)
-Taunt [Warrior 3 + Dark Knight] Bash + Draw Attacks (MT Berserk + Provoke)
+Boost Jump [Warrior 7 + Dragoon] Enrage + Jump (ST Aerial attack)
-Misty Charge [Warrior 7 + Ranger 14] Enrage + Backup (ST 100% hit Attack + switch Row)
+Mighty Wall [Warrior 15 + Paladin 7] Warcry + Mighty Guard (MT Protect/Shell/Bravery)
+Valiant Blow [Warrior 17 + Paladin] Assault + Charge (ST Damage proportional cHP/mHP deficit)

Monk
----

Gale Crescent [Monk 1 or Summoner 1] Kick + Sylph (MT Wind Damage)
-Capoeira [Monk 1 + Dancer 1] Kick + Drain Samba (Attack with a random ability)
Self-Destruct [Monk 3 + Black Mage) Focus + Firaga (ST Damage based on HP, sacrifice)
-Smash [Monk 4 + Ranger] Lotus Strike + Precise Shot (ST Heavy damage + Stun)
Piercing Blast [Monk 6 + Red Mage 8] Aurablast + Attune Blade (ST Magic Damage, pierce Reflect)
-Bone Crusher [Monk 11 + Dark Knight] Riposte + Darkness (Invincibility OR Counter Attack taking extra damage)
+White Wind [Monk 13 + Dragoon 6] Chakra + Healing Breath (MT Heal based on cHP)
Dark Judgement [Monk 15 + Summoner] Vacuum Wave + Diabolos (MT Damage 1/4 cHP)
-Tempest [Monk 15 + Ninja 8] Vacuum Wave + Gale (ST Wind damage)
-Phantom Rush [Monk 17 + Dancer 20] Dropkick + Trance (ST Attack x6)
-Sange [Monk 18 + Ninja 17] Raging Fist + Image (#Attacks = #Images)
+Final Heaven [Monk 20 + Seer] Earthshatter + Holy (ST Holy Damage)

Thief
-----

-Steal Hearts [Thief + Ranger 8] Steal + Aim: Heart (MT Confuse OR Berserk Self)
Nab Gil [Thief 1 + Warrior 3] Bash + Pickpocket (ST Attack + Steal Gil)
+Battle Orders [Thief 3 + Bard] Flee + Aiding Anthem (All Allies switch Row)
+Life Divider [Thief 16 + Paladin 3] Mug + Pommel (ST Damage + Heal Enemy)

Red Mage
--------

Magic Bomb [Red Mage] Cure + Fire (ST Magic Damage)
Magic Bomb 2 [Red Mage] Cura + Fira (ST Magic Damage)
Magic Missile [Red Mage] Poisona + Poison (ST Magic Damage)
-Dark [Red Mage + Dark Knight 3] Cura + Curse (ST/MT Dark Damage)
Piercing Blast [Red Mage 8 + Monk 6] Aurablast + Attune Blade (ST Magic Damage, pierce Reflect)

brainfriiz
8 years ago#8
White Mage
----------

-Dark [White Mage + Dark Knight 3] Cura + Curse (ST/MT Dark Damage)
+Aura [White Mage + Bard 5] Protect + Brave Ballad (ST Protect/Bravery)
+White Draw [White Mage + Dragoon 13] Blink + Lancet (MT MP Restore)
+Hastega [White Mage + Bard 14] Haste + Swift Shanty (MT Haste)
+Esunaga [White Mage + Bard 17] Esuna + Angelic Aria (MT Esuna)
+Full Cure [White Mage + Dragoon 20] Curaga + Dragon Soul (MT Full HP/Esuna)
Magic Bomb [White Mage 1 or Red Mage 1] Cure + Fire (ST Magic Damage)
Magic Missile [White Mage 1 or Red Mage 5] Poisona + Poison (ST Magic Damage)
Magic Bomb 2 [White Mage 7 or Red Mage 11] Cura + Fira (ST Magic Damage)
Magic Bomb 3 [White Mage 18 or Black Mage 15] Curaga + Firaga (ST Magic Damage)
Meltdown [White Mage 15 or Summoner 9] Berserk + Ifrit (All Allies/Enemies Fire Damage)

Black Mage
----------

Thunder Slash [Black Mage 1 or Warrior 1] Strike + Thunder (ST Lightning Damage)
Magic Bomb [Black Mage 1 or Red Mage 1] Cure + Fire (ST Magic Damage)
+Aqua Breath [Black Mage 1 + Dragoon 2] Blizzara + Blizzard Breath (MT Water Damage)
Self-Destruct [Black Mage 1 + Monk 3] Focus + Firaga (ST Damage based on HP, sacrifice)
Magic Missile [Black Mage 3 or Red Mage 1] Poisona + Poison (ST Magic Damage)
Magic Bomb 2 [Black Mage 7 or Red Mage 11] Cura + Fira (ST Magic Damage)
Deep Freeze [Black Mage 12 or Summoner 9] Stop + Shiva (ST Ice Damage + Stop)
Grand Delta [Black Mage 15 or Summoner 7] Thundaga + Ramuh (MT Lightning Damage + Paralysis)
Magic Bomb 3 [Black Mage 15 or White Mage 18] Curaga + Firaga (ST Magic Damage)

Summoner
--------

Gale Crescent [Summoner 1 + Monk 1] Kick + Sylph (MT Wind Damage)
+Dispelga [Summoner 1 + Seer 1] Dispel + Alexander (MT Dispel)
-Gigaflare [Summoner 1 + Magus 1] Flare + Bahamut (ST Magic Damage)
-Sunder Earth [Summoner 1 + Ninja 7] Titan + Tremor (Inaccurate ST Earth Damage)
Dark Judgement [Summoner 1 + Monk 15] Vacuum Wave + Diabolos (MT Damage 1/4 cHP)
-Iai [Summoner + Dark Knight 17] Odin + Final Thrust (ST Damage + Instant Kill)
+Mega Raise [Summoner 1 + Seer 20] Araise + Bahamut (MT Revive @ 1/2 mHP)
Grand Delta [Summoner 7 or Black Mage 15] Thundaga + Ramuh (MT Lightning Damage + Paralysis)
Deep Freeze [Summoner 9 or Black Mage 12] Stop + Shiva (ST Ice Damage + Stop)
Meltdown [Summoner 9 or White Mage 15] Berserk + Ifrit (All Allies/Enemies Fire Damage)
-Moogle Dance [Summoner 18 + Dancer 5] Call + Frailty Polka (MT DEF/RES Reduction)

Dragoon
-------

Boost Jump [Dragoon 1 + Warrior 7] Enrage + Jump (ST Aerial attack)
Aqua Breath [Dragoon 2 + Black Mage 1] Blizzara + Blizzard Breath (MT Water Damage)
Lively Lied [Dragoon 6 + Bard 9] Healing Breath + Restful Refrain (All Allies/Enemies HP Restore)
White Wind [Dragoon 6 + Monk 13] Chakra + Healing Breath (MT Heal based on cHP)
White Draw [Dragoon 13 + White Mage] Blink + Lancet (MT MP Restore)
Full Cure [Dragoon 20 + White Mage] Curaga + Dragon Soul (MT Full HP/Esuna)

Bard
----

Battle Orders [Bard + Thief 3] Flee + Aiding Anthem (All Allies switch Row)
Aura [Bard 5 + White Mage] Protect + Brave Ballad (ST Protect/Bravery)
Lively Lied [Bard 9 + Dragoon 6] Healing Breath + Restful Refrain (All Allies/Enemies HP Restore)
Hastega [Bard 14 + Shanty] Haste + Swift Shanty (MT Haste)
Esunaga [Bard 17 + White Mage] Esuna + Angelic Aria (MT Esuna)
Shock [Bard 20 + Paladin 17] Dire Dirge + Wide Slash (MT Magic Damage)

brainfriiz
8 years ago#9
Paladin
-------

Valiant Blow [Paladin + Warrior 17] Assault + Charge (ST Damage proportional cHP/mHP deficit)
Life Divider [Paladin 3 + Thief 16] Mug + Pommel (ST Damage + Heal Enemy)
Mighty Wall [Paladin 7 + Warrior 15] Warcry + Mighty Guard (MT Protect/Shell/Bravery)
Alabaster Veil [Paladin 9 + Seer] Guard + Benediction (ST Protect/Shell/Haste/Regen)
Shock [Paladin 17 + Bard 20] Dire Dirge + Wide Slash (MT Magic Damage)

Seer
----

Alabaster Veil [Seer + Paladin 9] Guard + Benediction (ST Protect/Shell/Haste/Regen)
Final Heaven [Seer + Monk 20] Earthshatter + Holy (ST Holy Damage)
Dispelga [Seer 1 + Summoner] Dispel + Alexander (MT Dispel)
Mega Raise [Seer 20 + Summoner] Araise + Bahamut (MT Revive @ 1/2 mHP)

Ranger
------

Smash [Ranger + Monk 4] Lotus Strike + Precise Shot (ST Heavy damage + Stun)
Steal Hearts [Ranger 8 + Thief] Steal + Aim: Heart (MT Confuse OR Berserk Self)
ID Break [Ranger 12 + Warrior] Strike + Quick Shot (ST Damage + Silence)
Misty Charge [Ranger 14 + Warrior 7] Enrage + Backup (ST 100% hit Attack + switch Row)
Midareyuki [Ranger 20 + Ninja 18] Spreadshot + Assassinate (ST Attack x3)

Dark Knight
-----------

Taunt [Dark Knight + Warrior 3] Bash + Draw Attacks (MT Berserk + Provoke)
Bone Crusher [Dark Knight + Monk 11] Riposte + Darkness (Invincibility OR Counter Attack taking extra damage)
Dark [Dark Knight 3 + Red Mage or White Mage] Cura + Curse (ST/MT Dark Damage)
Iai [Dark Knight 17 + Summoner] Odin + Final Thrust (ST Damage + Instant Kill)
Dark Star [Dark Knight 20 + Magus] Meteor + Ebony Slash (MT Dark Damage)

Dancer
------

Capoeira [Dancer 1 + Monk 1] Kick + Drain Samba (Attack with a random ability)
Moogle Dance [Dancer 5 + Summoner 18] Call + Frailty Polka (MT DEF/RES Reduction)
Malediction [Dancer 17 + Ninja 14] Wonder Step + Stunner (ST copy status to target)
Phantom Rush [Dancer 20 + Monk 17] Dropkick + Trance (ST Attack x6)

Ninja
-----

Sunder Earth [Ninja 7 + Summoner] Titan + Tremor (Inaccurate ST Earth Damage)
Tempest [Ninja 8 + Monk 15] Vacuum Wave + Gale (ST Wind damage)
Malediction [Ninja 14 + Dancer 17] Wonder Step + Stunner (ST copy status to target)
Sange [Ninja 17 + Monk 18] Raging Fist + Image (#Attacks = #Images)
Midareyuki [Ninja 18 + Ranger 20] Spreadshot + Assassinate (ST Attack x3)

Magus
-----

Dark Star [Magus + Dark Knight 20] Meteor + Ebony Slash (MT Dark Damage)
Gigaflare [Magus 1 + Summoner] Flare + Bahamut (ST Magic Damage)

brainfriiz
8 years ago#10
Thanks for the answers everyone. I'll be back with more questions if I have any.

alt_reality posted...
Alba is the coolest and you should include her in your final party even if she is statistically the worst character.

I saw that as well. She earned her final party spot a long time ago! Oh well, a few points of speed and strength isn't gamebreaking. It's not FFXIII where Sazh is 500 points down the next lowest best stat (1500 STR Snow, and he's not even used for physical damage at end game XD) AND is the slowest character...
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy Dimensions
  3. New to the game, a few questions and comments.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A