• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Divinity: Original Sin
  3. This with mods or enhanced edition without mods?

User Info: saviorflender

saviorflender
2 years ago#1
Hi all, I was checking on nexus mods website and i see that there are many mods for Divinity original sin, but only a few for the enhanced edition. Do you know if the same mods for the non enhanced edition are compatible with the enhanced?

If not, which one would you suggest me to play, the "non enhanced" with mods or the enhanced edition without mods?

User Info: mayatola

mayatola
2 years ago#2
The enhanced edition is such an improved version of the game that if you already have it, there's no reason to bother with the old version. Also, yes, many of the mods on the nexus are compatible with the enhanced edition, however, I think many of them are just the cosmetic mods. One thing you will have to pay attention to is the file structure when installing the mods. In the old version, there was a folder called "main", but I think that folder no longer exists and it's just "shared" as the root folder for most of the mods.

I can't be 100% sure since it's been a while (playing with mods), but if you check the posts for some of the problems people were having installing the mods, you'll see how they fixed it (and how others ignored those posts and keep saying the mods don't work - read people!).

Anyway, I suggest you play the enhanced edition, regardless of mods. I'm currently almost finished with Honour Mode and having a blast (gonna wait for Christmas for Divinity: Original Sin 2). With or without mods, it's just way better than the old version of the game.

User Info: saviorflender

saviorflender
2 years ago#3
Thanks a lot, I was indeed reading some mods descriptions and even some of the related forum posts and I had almost made up my mind.

I think I will play the Enhanced edition with the Epic Encounters mod. Do you know it? I have read good things about it. It should increase also the difficulty and I was planning of playing it in tactician mode, but with the compatible 6 Men mod.
Or I could play it with 4 characters but at normal difficulty.

But I really think (also now with Divinity original sin 2) that 4 people in the party are a bit limited. I come from the old D&D school, where the standard party was composed of 6 people, and I always feel I am missing something with only 4 characters.

Your expert opinion is welcome

User Info: mayatola

mayatola
2 years ago#4
I've heard of that mod, but never tried it out myself. I've only tried out some of the cosmetic mods and they have worked properly with the Enhanced Edition of the game.

I think a party of four is fine for this game though. The beginning is the only really brutal part of the game (on Tactician/Honour anyway) as you just don't have much to start. But once you get through it, things get easier as your skills expand and you get better gear. I think Epic Encounters is for people who just want to keep the late game challenging. I don't think extra characters are necessary as cc is so powerful in this game. Between having a ranger for specialized arrows (knockdown, charming, stunning) and a mage for teleport, freeze/blind/stun, charm, and summons, you can have complete control of the battlefield. Tanks aren't really necessary as charming enemies are the best way to start a fight, and even healing spells are outpaced by your higher life totals and enemy damage output (again on Tactician/Honour). Potions end up being the best way to heal as they scale well (they are percentage based) and they are cheap, easy to craft, and only cost 2 action points to use.

Anyway, I understand where you are coming from. I love the old D&D games (EOB trilogy, Ravenloft series, Menzoberranzan, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, etc.), but actually, I usually try to keep my party size small to maximize experience gains and reach the higher level spells faster. Of course, experience is always the same regardless of party size in Divinity, so there's no penalty for having more characters. But the warrior type characters in this game are mostly for dps rather than tanking (Flurry with a two handed weapon is crazy), and dex based characters that aren't ranged seem pretty pointless in this game (which again, leaves mages and ranger as I mentioned above). That's actually my next run: Lone Wolf Ranger and Lone Wolf Mage in Tactician mode.

Anyway, hope it helps if you're planning your run. Have fun!
  1. Boards
  2. Divinity: Original Sin
  3. This with mods or enhanced edition without mods?
  • Topic Archived