• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  3. What's your MTU if you've changed it? Has it helped?

User Info: Random_Popeye

Random_Popeye
8 years ago#21
Random_Popeye posted...
Random_Popeye posted...
I cant even sign in to my router page to do it anymore.I log in press enter but it goes back to the log in screen and says please log in with username and password.

What is the make and model of your router?

Its a SMC 8014wn router/modem from shaw cable here in canada.

Ugh-- SMC.
I've got stories, man. lol

I fought with my stupid SMC router for years.

SMC8014wn through Shaw

User: cusadmin
Password password

That just gives me the incorrect log in screen.I even tried resetting the router but nothing.

User Info: outlawstar289

outlawstar289
8 years ago#22
Hmm, doing a ping test in google revealed my ideal rate was 1472....+28 and that's 1500, which my router is already set at. Guess nothing can be done.
IMPERIVM
GT: Commando GMC

User Info: igashijin

igashijin
8 years ago#23
Random_Popeye posted...
Random_Popeye posted...
Random_Popeye posted...
I cant even sign in to my router page to do it anymore.I log in press enter but it goes back to the log in screen and says please log in with username and password.

Ugh-- SMC.

SMC8014wn through Shaw

Password password

That just gives me the incorrect log in screen.I even tried resetting the router but nothing.

Did you do a full factory reset?
If you restore the router to factory defaults, that information should work; otherwise, check the label on the bottom of your unit for a sticker. On that sticker, you'll sometimes see something that says "Default WEP key."
"Default log in information"
"Default net key"
"Device access code"

Take a look and tell me if you see anything.

The default password is usually an 8 or 10 character string. Some other things to try:

<blank>
<blank> (write nothing in there)

admin
password

<blank>
smcadmin

admin
smcadmin

smcadmin
smcadmin
To dis examartein ouk andros sopho.

User Info: outlawstar289

outlawstar289
8 years ago#24
igashijin, should I change it from 1500 to 1492?
IMPERIVM
GT: Commando GMC

igashijin
8 years ago#25
outlawstar289 posted...
Hmm, doing a ping test in google revealed my ideal rate was 1472....+28 and that's 1500, which my router is already set at. Guess nothing can be done.

You can still give it a shot; like I said, as far as gaming is concerned, it shouldn't hurt you.

There's no way you can mess up your network by experimenting with an MTU value or two.

igashijin
8 years ago#26
outlawstar289 posted...

Try it out and see if it helps, or otherwise seems to do nothing at all.

Port forwarding can help as well, but honestly, I typically find that it doesn't do anything that a good old fashioned DMZ can't sort out.

User Info: dueric

dueric
8 years ago#27
If this actually made a difference don't you think it would be the hottest topic in town?

You can only get so much juice out of an orange before it runs dry.
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member

User Info: Random_Popeye

Random_Popeye
8 years ago#28
Random_Popeye posted...
Random_Popeye posted...

Ugh-- SMC.

SMC8014wn through Shaw

Password password

Did you do a full factory reset?
If you restore the router to factory defaults, that information should work; otherwise, check the label on the bottom of your unit for a sticker. On that sticker, you'll sometimes see something that says "Default WEP key."
"Default log in information"
"Default net key"
"Device access code"

Take a look and tell me if you see anything.

The default password is usually an 8 or 10 character string. Some other things to try:

<blank>
<blank> (write nothing in there)

admin
password

<blank>
smcadmin

admin
smcadmin

smcadmin
smcadmin

Ya i pretty sure i did it.Hold the reset button for 30 seconds and then unplug power blah blah blah but i dont think it did.

edit. Well i was able to log in from my phone.hmm weird

User Info: ICantNameGud

ICantNameGud
8 years ago#29
igashijin posted...
outlawstar289 posted...

Port forwarding can help as well, but honestly, I typically find that it doesn't do anything that a good old fashioned DMZ can't sort out.

What is the DMZ thing? I can open my ports and do this MTU business but I don't know how or what DMZ and the xbox entails. I understand it might not change anything significantly, but at this point I would perform a ceremony with a dagger and chicken bones if it might help performance of this game.
Get it right, do it nice. If you make a mistake, you're gonna pay for it twice. If you need it... got to have it. Get yourself a shotgun and bring it back home

igashijin
8 years ago#30
ICantNameGud posted...
igashijin posted...
outlawstar289 posted...

What is the DMZ thing? I can open my ports and do this MTU business but I don't know how or what DMZ and the xbox entails. I understand it might not change anything significantly, but at this point I would perform a ceremony with a dagger and chicken bones if it might help performance of this game.

What kind of router do you have?

A DMZ is basically just a way of fixing any sort of NAT negotiation issue that could be firewall related; as it relates to gaming, this boils down to less packet loss through time-outs.

You give your router your 360's IP address (you'll need to set up a static IP-- and yes, I can help you if you need a hand) and possibly MAC address, depending on your router.

Typically, the option is listed under firewall settings and called "DMZ host."
  1. Boards
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  3. What's your MTU if you've changed it? Has it helped?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A