• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. God of War: Ascension
  3. The online code still works!

User Info: Emi3280

Emi3280
3 months ago#1
So I bought a used copy of this game from a local retailer that had it in shelf. I saw it and immediately bought it. Just for giggles I tried the code that its expiration date said 2014 and it may have already been used and all, but I still gave it a go. It surprised me that it worked! So if you buy this game used or new, don't hesitate to try the online pass code.
Switch FC: SW-2774-1787-6198 // PSN: MrLoneWanderer
"The two most important days in life are the day you are born and the day you find out why."

User Info: Hotel_Security

Hotel_Security
3 months ago#2
Congrats! Now you can play the terrible GoW MP mode!

Seriously though, that's humorous to hear about.

Emi3280
3 months ago#3
Well, I'm kind of a loner; I exclusively play single player games or local multiplayer games when my friends/family visit. I just found it quite nice to see that despite the expiration date being years ago, the codes still work. Made me think that maybe they print the expiration dates so soon to make people buy the game faster or something. Other companies don't do this. I remember when I bought Mortal Kombat X back in 2015, and it came with a code which said that the expiration year was 2099. I found that funny too, by 2099 I'll most likely be dead, or a guy over 100 years old.
"The two most important days in life are the day you are born and the day you find out why."

Hotel_Security
2 months ago#4
I just had the same thing with Assassins Creed Syndicate. Got an expired 2016 code in the case and it worked. Looks like these companies are renewing these codes.

User Info: EvilResident

EvilResident
2 months ago#5
@Emi3280 What exactly does this code grant you access to ?

Emi3280
2 months ago#6
EvilResident posted...
Emi3280 What exactly does this code grant you access to ?
The online multiplayer, which is still sort of active. Back in the PS3/360 days, game developers used this tactic of locking the online section of a game behind a code that comes with the box when you buy it brand new. They did this for deterring people buying used copies of their games. If you bought a used copy, you'd be forces to pay whatever fee the game developer charged for the online pass in your console's digital store, which could range from anything between $1.99 and $9.99. It was a pretty anti-consumer practice, and they all stopped doing it in the current generation.

User Info: EvilResident

EvilResident
2 months ago#7
Ah it was just for the multiplayer. Ok cool

Hotel_Security
1 month ago#8
Yeah, always seemed ridiculous to make players need a code just to unlock MP. Didn't they want more people to play it? Why have it gated behind a code that just hurts people who bought it used? Every part of GoW Ascension feels like it got botched.

Emi3280
1 month ago#9
Hotel_Security posted...
Yeah, always seemed ridiculous to make players need a code just to unlock MP. Didn't they want more people to play it? Why have it gated behind a code that just hurts people who bought it used? Every part of GoW Ascension feels like it got botched.
I mean yeah, the programmers and the people actually in charge of making the game do want more people to play what they're working so hard to create. However they don't have much power in the bigger decisions, like locking the online content behind a code for deterring used copies. That's really something that comes from the people at the top of the pyramid. Stockholders, executive producers, those guys. They usually just care about the money sign, look at great franchises that have become crap thanks to this crappy mentality mate.

User Info: Zhier

Zhier
1 month ago#10
I bought a used one with the psu unit
(also used) unlucky for me, Is MP worth it? Do Mp have any depth gamplay into it, like leveling customizing stuff? Checked on PSN dollar 9.99 for an online pass, its like buying a whole new game.
  1. Boards
  2. God of War: Ascension
  3. The online code still works!
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A