• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Crysis 3
  3. Hating this game so long after everyone else

User Info: Campbellitus

Campbellitus
6 years ago#1
Ok, maybe hate is the wrong word. I bought Crysis 3 during a GoD equivalent of bargain bin. There was another topic about why people hate this game, but it's been archived. I felt so cheated by the first few levels that I had to come be an internet naysayer just to feel better (oh man, what a surprise.) Here are the two major complaints I have about this game:

1.) Alcatraz was never given much character development in Crysis 2, but he seemed likable enough, if only because he was a United States Marine, and video game Marines are Good Guys. This 'Prophet' character sounded pathetic from the beginning (I mean his character idea and development from the first game, not that he sounded literally pathetic), so it was with a sigh of relief that he offed himself and gave me the kickass suit. Then I go through all the adventures as Alcatraz, getting a Master Chief vibe the whole way, including some truly epic parts with saving the civilians at the train station. Really made me feel for the guy. Crysis 3 starts and he's back to being Prophet...
... ... ...WHAT THE SUNNUVAGODDAMNF*CK?!

Oh sure, you say, they explained that away in a book! And I'm supposed to somehow be appeased by that? They off the one character I LIKED from Crysis 2 and give us Cap'n Sacrifice McPathetic?! I was super upset about that. (Could you tell?)

2.) I really don't have enough curse words in my vocabulary to make myself properly understood about this point, so I'll just use ALL CAPS and single word sentences to try and emphasize here:

BOW?!
AND?!
ARROW?!

So, we're given this shiny new doohickey to make our lives easier, and it's a weapon that's been around for 1000+ years? Dear bow and arrow, I'd like to make a counterpoint: EVERY FIREARM MADE IN THE LAST 50 YEARS! If bow and arrow were superior to firearms, why the F*CK did we make guns in the first place? Oh but no, the bow and arrow IS superior to guns! Because it can fire noiselessly! Dear bow and arrow, I'd like to make a counterpoint: SILENCERS! (I know that video game silencers are nothing like real life silencers, but in my defense, the Crysis 3 bow ain't got sh*t to do with reality either.) The truly annoying part is that, early on in my game, I came across a few enemies that wore different helmets from the guys I had been fighting up to that point. Stealthing my way up to one, I nailed him in the head with a shot from my SCAR...and nothing. flash of blood, grunt of pain, he wasn't feeling it. 6 shots later he finally goes down. I spot another one of this guy across the room, a good 50 feet away. Feeling a sense of dread, I ready my bow, set my draw settings, and take aim. It hits him around the stomach area and INSTA KILLS him. I turned the game off right there. Bow and motherf*cking arrow is in NO WAY capable of outdoing a BULLET for kinetic force. I know I'm playing (or was playing) a game about a nanosuit soldier fighting aliens in ruined New York City, but I was immersed until that moment. Realizing that I would have to spend an entire game with a modern remake of an ancient weapon that was somehow more powerful than a gun shattered my suspension of disbelief permanently.

I went online to see if anyone else had had these same problems or had perhaps developed a 'no-bow' walkthrough, but everywhere I go people can't gush praise about the f*cking bow quick enough. I only bought this game for a measly $8 and it's $8 I wish I could have back. It stings all the worse considering how much I thoroughly enjoyed Crysis 2.

I can't say I feel better, but hopefully there are others out there who share my distaste for this piece of sh*t game.
You cannot learn if you are not taught.

User Info: spikedebeaver

spikedebeaver
6 years ago#2
I actually liked this one. It was my least favorite though.

About your number 1, I was also sad to see Alcatraz go. I actually liked Prophet though so I didn't mind seeing him again. Also, you don't have to buy a novel to fill the gap. The data pads and other in game collectables fill the gap for you just fine without the novel. However, I agree that collectables was not the correct way to fill the gap between the two games. However, the way the "killed" Alcatraz is reasonable within the series' lore. I still would've preferred more in game scenes to explain this rather than collectables. The best way I think three could've been done would've been to keep what they have as the final arc of the game, but extend the length to that of the second one putting the things that happened in between games at the start. After showing Alcatraz's "death" and Prophet "assuming control" we could've had a series of highlight fights on various maps around the world as Prophet reversed the effects of the Ceph spires. Then have some scenes of the Ceph losing but Prophet not giving up because he wants to find the Alpha Ceph. Watch Prophet's men leave him until he's captured. Then start the next chapter with the way the game currently opens and have Pysco explain the time skip. I would've much preferred that. The main thing I feel cheapened by from this game is it's length because of the length of the first 2.

In response to 2, the bow is made with the latest Nano tech. I assume this comes from CELL's knowledge they gained since stripping nano suits since it has been designed to work with nano suits. It also fires with more force because of the strength of the bow and the nano suit firing it. It's purpose was to have a weapon you can finally stay cloaked in while using. That said, I never used it and I beat the game fine on the hardest difficulty. I don't hate the bow, but it makes the game way too easy. I would shoot soldiers in the hand or foot and they would die. So yea, that's dumb. But you totally don't have to use it. Just be mindful for in story reasons that Prophet does have it in his arsenal.
My friend code is 5257-9242-1013 IGN: Albane

User Info: Campbellitus

Campbellitus
6 years ago#3
spikedebeaver posted...
It's purpose was to have a weapon you can finally stay cloaked in while using.

Firing silenced weapons does not drop your cloak. The bow serves no purpose other than to break suspension of disbelief. Even games that offered ridiculously easy ways to complete the game (like the E-Z gun from MGS3) usually managed to do so while maintaining the integrity of the story. This bow critically fails at it.

the bow is made with the latest Nano tech. I assume this comes from CELL's knowledge they gained since stripping nano suits since it has been designed to work with nano suits.

If Cell gained so much knowledge from stripping Nanosuits that they were able to integrate a weapon into their design, who in their right mind would go with a bow and arrow? Integrate a hunting rifle or something! There are literally TONS of older weapons that could have been 'reintegrated' into the nanosuit in place of the bow. This would work especially well with the idea of the electric, explosive, and jammer arrows. Just make them specialized ammo instead. As for reusability, make them Sabot rounds and have the nanosuit able to generate sabot casings as required. I thought of that in 5 seconds and the entire Crysis dev team couldn't think of it in the YEARS they took to make this game.

I know you're not the enemy here, but I don't think anyone could ever justify that the bow and arrow were necessary or even desired. Any role that bow and arrow fill in the game could just as easily (if not more easily) be filled by a bolt action rifle or some other single shot weapon.
You cannot learn if you are not taught.

User Info: spikedebeaver

spikedebeaver
6 years ago#4
Actually silenced weapons drop your cloak just not as fast. The bow doesn't affect cloak at all. And it does maintain "integrity to the story". I already said how. Doesn't mean you have to like it though. Again I didn't really like it either. And sure they could've gone with a different weapon. Maybe a perfectly silenced rifle that doesn't drop cloak. Or a weapon that doesn't have anything to do with cloak but some actual awesome gun that only works by attaching to the suits. I agree that the bow was a poor idea but that's why I just don't use it. I still loved the game. I thought it was the perfect ending to the trilogy. It was just so lacking at the front. It needed more content.
My friend code is 5257-9242-1013 IGN: Albane
  1. Boards
  2. Crysis 3
  3. Hating this game so long after everyone else
  • Topic Archived
More topics from this board...
Default speedRobossCZ14/30 8:35PM

GameFAQs Q&A