• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Hack, Slash, Loot
  3. Getting pretty frustrated, am I doing it wrong or something?

User Info: Gai_Daigouji

Gai_Daigouji
8 years ago#1
I've tried starting this game on the first quest about 6 times, and each time I end up in a room where I'm surrouned by goblins and get slaughtered. If I stay and fight I constantly miss and end up dying, if I try and run I just end up dying anyway.

I've not really played many roguelikes, only Z.H.P. and Fatal Labyrinth (which I'm guessing aren't particuarly hardcore ones) so maybe I'm just missing something here. Any advice?
"Of course the victim was flying through the air! You can see it right there in the sketch! ...Whooooosh!"
PSN - DoctorSalvador, 3DS 2793-1189-3616

User Info: WormTrodden

WormTrodden
8 years ago#2
The game sucks hard.

That pretty much sums it up. It expects you to die hundreds of times for nothing. You can edit your user config and set the number of deaths to 9999 to unlock every class. Some are vastly more potent than those few you start with.

Other than that, there is not much to tell. This is *Not* a real roguelike anyway.
Oink, Oink, Oink!

User Info: ReaperRob84

ReaperRob84
8 years ago#3
You just have to keep trying, honestly try starting with the second quest and using the wizard.
Eliminate Pro ID: ReaperNull

User Info: Phadin

Phadin
8 years ago#4
I was just running random class and mission, and on my sixth game landed the wizard class for the first time and I forget what mission, but it's the one where you have a choice of three artifacts at the end. I got a potion that gave me regeneration early on, and just cruised after that.

Wizard seems easier because they are 1) ranged damage and 2) magic damage which is unaffected by armor.

Warriors need serious help. I already have two artifacts, both of which help my warrior characters a lot. I got the phase shield from the above mentioned mission and runesword from a different one that have helped my meele focused characters survive when they get them.

It's very slow to start, and yes, it expects you to die a lot. It does become easier after a bunch of deaths when you can use the higher tier classes.

User Info: coachroche

coachroche
8 years ago#5
Mask of the Boy King is probably the easiest quest to start out, as the number of roaming enemies is far lower, you can pick your fights more. Especially if you can access the Amazon class (I unlocked her somewhere around 15 deaths I think).

I think it's super cute that someone is saying this isn't a real roguelike because you're expected to die over and over due to often unfair circumstances. Sounds like someone never played Rogue.
F*** OFF MOM, I'M DROPPING BEATS

User Info: custard344

custard344
8 years ago#6
Where is the user config located?

User Info: Shlarzak

Shlarzak
8 years ago#7
This isn't widely considered a legitimate rogue-like because there's little, if not zero, strategy involved in any one playthrough, the only way to increase your odds of success is to unlock certain "classes", which are really only differentiated by what you start with. There's no inventory, no abilities, no religion system. The game is basically just slamming your face into a wall until you die from it enough to get a slightly better face, then repeat, compared to learning how to utilize tools to survive impossible odds, like you would in any other rogue-like. I think it has its own kind of masochistic charm though, myself.
"The future's like the weather, baby, there ain't no guarantees!"

User Info: Kalirion

Kalirion
8 years ago#8
^ Yes, you have to die a lot to unlock classes better enough to have some strategy. Then you find a few artifacts which carry over future playthroughs and add more options.

At that point, likely hours in, the game becomes enjoyable for the first time.
Don't be scared of nightmares; make them be scared of you.

User Info: Rabid_Mexican

Rabid_Mexican
8 years ago#9
WormTrodden posted...
The game sucks hard.

That pretty much sums it up. It expects you to die hundreds of times for nothing. You can edit your user config and set the number of deaths to 9999 to unlock every class. Some are vastly more potent than those few you start with.

Other than that, there is not much to tell. This is *Not* a real roguelike anyway.

It most certainly IS a roguelike. I cannot think of anything closer to a roguelike. Sure no ASCII graphics but, as we all know, graphics dont mean jack.

Sure, you are entitled to your opinion, as am I. My opinion is that you are wrong.
Intel Core2 Quad @ 2.33Ghz, 4GB DDR2, GeForce GT120
  1. Boards
  2. Hack, Slash, Loot
  3. Getting pretty frustrated, am I doing it wrong or something?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A