• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: FSgamer

FSgamer
6 years ago#21
I don't understand the complaints about flashbacks & restarts in newer games.

They can only be used offline, flashbacks can be disabled, restarts can be ignored. In WRC3 there's even an option to retire from the stage iirc, so if you mess up and think it's stupid to have the option to respawn back to the track, use flashbacks, or restart, you can choose to retire which will end your rally.
It's not o problem with the game imo, it's a problem with player mentality. Just man up and play the game the way you think is supposed to be played and leave the arcade/casual stuff for the casual players, it's that simple.

I do think they need to make improvements to make the game more realistic, like having more & longer stages, better damage, and so forth, but leave options in there, and do something to reward hardcore players (kind of like Forza where players get more credits for turning assists off, rewind off, damage on, higher difficulty, etc), in that way the game will still be accessible to casual players while having stuff to encourage them to get better.
Having options is always a good thing, it makes the game accessible to more people, it's all a matter of choosing the options to suit the player's preferences.
FSgamer aka FS7 - www.youtube.com/user/FS7kills
Cheap Tactics for the Win

User Info: ARC_NoOne

ARC_NoOne
6 years ago#22
I don't understand the complaints about flashbacks & restarts in newer games.

Having options is always a good thing, it makes the game accessible to more people, it's all a matter of choosing the options to suit the player's preferences.

That's the same argument I make all the time on the GT5 board, about GT5 not having a bunch of stuff that SHOULD be in the game.
If they were DOING that in the rally arena, I wouldn't be as critical of them as I am.
I don't seem them ADDING choices anywhere though.
I see them taking choices away, and forcing everyone to their new, dumbed down version for noobs.

They've widened, straightened and flattened the roads, to the point that you rarely need to use throttle control.
They've put in sticky grass to tell you where the proper racing line is, rather than using the terrain to do that.
Going off the ideal line should be treacherous, and only done when you're sure it won't end your race.
They've made braking much more effective than it should be in real life, rather than having you lock up and slide off the road on the gravel.
And they've made collisions have significantly less impact on your vehicle than they should.
When you hit dips in the road on RBR, the rear of the car attempts an aerial overtake of the front end, like it should.
Clipping a rock or a tree should put an end to any thoughts you had of winning a stage.

NONE of those things are an improvement over the games that were out a decade ago.
This game is the notable exception to most of those complaints.
That's why I've bought it twice.
I'm hoping they take it to the next step, and bring out something that is an inarguable improvement over RBR.
They've got significantly better technology, so the only things stopping them are knowledge and business decisions.
If stupidity were a religion...you'd be the Pope.

User Info: JManGT

JManGT
6 years ago#23
No offense ARC but I stopped reading your post maybe a quarter through because you just started to go on a Dirt 3 rant and this isn't Dirt 3.
Sebastien Loeb
Undefeated World Champion 2004-2012 (WRC Retired)

User Info: ARC_NoOne

ARC_NoOne
6 years ago#24
No offense ARC but I stopped reading your post maybe a quarter through because you just started to go on a Dirt 3 rant and this isn't Dirt 3.

Unfortunately this isn't RBR either.
My entire point is that "newer isn't necessarily better".
Dirt 3 just happens to be the epitome of that.

Even more unfortunately, the PS3 version of Dirt 3 alone has sold considerably more copies than this entire series.
That means everyone other than Milestone is going to follow THAT route, when they decide to make their own rally games.
Playground could have built a great rally game out of Forza, but they chose to make a Dirt clone instead.
The farther they go down that road, the farther they will get from making the "best rally game ever".
If stupidity were a religion...you'd be the Pope.

User Info: FSgamer

FSgamer
6 years ago#25
WRC3 shows that Milestone can make a good rally game. For the next one they need to release the game worldwide at the same time and advertise it. I bet a lot of those people who bought Dirt 3 on PS3 don't even know WRC3 exists.
FSgamer aka FS7 - www.youtube.com/user/FS7kills
Cheap Tactics for the Win

User Info: Myself9

Myself9
6 years ago#26
If you look at how far Milestone has come since the first game, they just might be near perfection when they reach the end of their 5-year deal with the WRC.

I popped in WRC1 the other day, and can't believe that I actually used to love playing that crap ;)
I drink YOUR milkshake
virtuaproracing.com

User Info: JManGT

JManGT
6 years ago#27
Myself9 posted...
If you look at how far Milestone has come since the first game, they just might be near perfection when they reach the end of their 5-year deal with the WRC.

I popped in WRC1 the other day, and can't believe that I actually used to love playing that crap ;)

5 year?!?!?!
I thought it was 3!
This is gonna be awesome
Sebastien Loeb
Undefeated World Champion 2004-2012 (WRC Retired)
  • Topic Archived