• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Amazing Spider-Man
  3. So I just played the demo..

User Info: CoronaPr19

CoronaPr19
9 years ago#1
And I gotta say, I was expecting MUCH worse based on reviews. I actually really enjoyed it! The gameplay and level design really reminded me of the Spiderman 1 game for PS2 and GCN, and I LOVED that game, and put so many hours into it. The graphics are fine for a 3DS game, though I must admit, the framerate was just horrid in some locations, but I'm sure that's just for the demo. The enviornment was....meh, but what can you expect really? The camera however.....it takes awhile to get used to yes, but it actually works really well, and again reminds me of SP1 with the way you stick to the ceiling and look at the floor. Really cool.

The other controls are also very annoying to get used to, but once I did, I found them alright for the most part.....except for the swinging. I REALLY didn't like how they mapped the swinging AND jumping to the same button, only tapping and holding one or the other....I REALLY hope that's customizable in the actual version. Now the combat...ooooh, the combat. They really stepped their game up with this combat, it all was so much fun to do, figuring out the different combos...while tricky, was a hell of fun, and just watching Spidey beat the crap out of the goons in such wicked and flashy ways was just so cool. I actually remember belting out a "YEAHAHA!!" when he took his enemy, flipped around them, and did like 5 kicks under him and against him, ending with a roundhouse that allll looked so smooth. Peter's jokes are back too, which really made me love his character, plus the fact that he's voice by the talented Sam Riegel (Donatello from 2003 TMNT) really put a shine to his character.

Overall.....despite SOME issues such as hard controls to pick up, annoying camera angles at times, and over-use of some phrases (usually when you screw up though), I had alot of fun with this one, and if the demo is any indication of how the actual game will be, I'm looking forward to it! Like I said, it plays and feels ALOT like SP1 on PS2/GC, and I really am looking forward to all the extras, upgrades, features, and cheats if it's following that route (Thug bowling anyone? :D ) However, it's not yet known if vigilante mode could be a freeplay, explore mode, but even so that's fine with me. I'm definately gonna check this one out when it hits the shelves....how can I not, it's Spider-Man!

This demo really doesn't deserve the hate it gets IMO.
"Hey, I got the thing on the thing!! W-what do I win!?"
"YOU!! D:< " "I win me!? That makes no sense..."

User Info: IcyBlaze_XZ

IcyBlaze_XZ
9 years ago#2
the demo might not deserve the hate, but the developers and/or the full retail game itself do.

There's no excuse for them to exclude the open world NYC mechanic that actually makes this game what it is; I mean, that's like the whole entire gimmick of the game, so for them to exclude it is just kind of a joke.

The WIi and 3DS might not be in the same league as the 360 and PS3, sure, but the PS2 had dozens of great huge open world games and the Wii and 3DS both trump the PS2 from a technical perspective, so there's really no excuse.
b

User Info: CoronaPr19

CoronaPr19
9 years ago#3
This is very true. There really is no excuse for the 3DS to not have the open world. Still though, as a game on it's own, it's VERY fun ^ ^
"Hey, I got the thing on the thing!! W-what do I win!?"
"YOU!! D:< " "I win me!? That makes no sense..."

User Info: bashscrazy

bashscrazy
9 years ago#4
But it's not worth the money without free roam. I mean free roam can get you like 40 hours of fun because of just web slinging around. Without it the game will be much much shorter and probably not worth the monies.

User Info: JPdelaGhetto

JPdelaGhetto
9 years ago#5
It's worth the money because it's Spider-man. I don't get why every Spider-Man game has to be free roaming now or people hate it. Spider-man and Enter Electro were some of the best games in his history and Beenox captured that feel with Shattered Dimensions and Edge of Time.

Only world NYC just doesn't work on hand helds. I don't mean from a technical standpoint. The systems can totally handle it. Those platforms just aren't designed to have giant open experiences so developers don't bother. Same reason Lego Batman 2 doesn't have gotham on 3DS and Vita.
"This is my gift, it is my curse." - Peter Parker

User Info: IcyBlaze_XZ

IcyBlaze_XZ
9 years ago#6
Same reason Lego Batman 2 doesn't have gotham on 3DS and Vita.

No, that's just because TT is lazy and it's cheaper and much easier to upscale the DS game for the powerful handhelds than it is to bring the console experiences to them. They've done that for every 3DS and Vita game so far, even the ones without open worlds, and they're probably not gonna stop any time soon.

And good Spider-Man games could be worth it without free roam; like games that are built from the game up to be that way.

But when you have an open world game, line up and string together all the missions in the open world game and then throw out the open world itself and call it a day, that's just cheap and lazy.

It's like taking all the missions in GTAIV and making you play through them back to back in a linear faction without the open world; bad.
b

User Info: Blackmarvel79

Blackmarvel79
9 years ago#7
You must have had low expectations.
I'm not evil, I'm just good looking!

User Info: spiderfreak1011

spiderfreak1011
9 years ago#8
JPdelaGhetto posted...
It's worth the money because it's Spider-man. I don't get why every Spider-Man game has to be free roaming now or people hate it. Spider-man and Enter Electro were some of the best games in his history and Beenox captured that feel with Shattered Dimensions and Edge of Time.

Only world NYC just doesn't work on hand helds. I don't mean from a technical standpoint. The systems can totally handle it. Those platforms just aren't designed to have giant open experiences so developers don't bother. Same reason Lego Batman 2 doesn't have gotham on 3DS and Vita.

I loved SD and EOT even though they didn't have free roam, i didn't mind that they didn't have free roam.

But the thing is Beenox cheated all the people who have 3DS's. Why? Because this game WAS supposed to have FREE ROAM. EOT and SD for all systems didn't have free roam, so when the 3DS version of EOT came out it wasn't as much of a big deal because they didn't single out the 3DS version like they did here(besides the facts that you can't get some of the costumes like in the consoles but IMO that doesn't count).

Here they singled out the 3DS and Wii versions because they excluded Free Roam, yet the PS3 and X360 have it, which isn't fair to the people who have the latest Nintendo systems. IMHO i think Beenox are pricks for taking it out, why would they do that? I mean the only thing that will come out of taking out free roam, is them losing money, because im sure as hell that i won't buy the game because there is no free roam.
  1. Boards
  2. The Amazing Spider-Man
  3. So I just played the demo..
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A