You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Halls of Montezuma: A Battle History of the U.S. Marine Corps
  3. ***Halls of Montezuma Hangout Topic*** Reboot!

User Info: Tutankoopa

Tutankoopa
6 months ago#81
The FOP concept art actually looks close to the final character designs. Looking at that clip you posted, I kind of dislike how skinny Timmy's head was. His head looks like something that came out of Hey Arnold. XD And watching this whole clip, this was one of the first FOP shorts that I've ever seen! I remember the part where Timmy was riding on a roller coaster inside his house. I also liked Cosmo's deeper voice in the earlier seasons as well. His new voice just made him sound more fruity. The ending to that short is hilarious with Vicky on the verge of getting fired and his parents finding a button between Timmy's teeth. XD Back when the show was actually funny. And Timmy's father's comment about his fanny was pretty clever too. Sounds like one of your fetishes. ^_~

And the FOP SHORTS outshine the production value of the first couple of seasons of Hey Arnold and Rugrats. And speaking of Rugrats, do you find the first couple of seasons to be overrated? People talk about how the early Rugrats episodes were the best of all time, but some of the Season 1 and 2 episodes were extremely boring. They were basically the babies walking around random locations and imaging them to be something else. Like the "Graham Canyon" episode where Tommy wanders around a car repair shop and imagines it to be the Grand Canyon. It was pretty boring and uneventful. Also, some of the characters like Phil and Lil and Angelica were absent for half of the first couple of seasons. The show redeemed itself though when it returned from its hiatus in the mid 90's in the couple of seasons leading up to the first movie. ^_~
Baltimore Orioles: 3-0 | Baltimore Ravens: 8-8
Why Not? 2012 | 2014

User Info: goodgollyregina

goodgollyregina
6 months ago#82
Yeah, the concept art kind of does, but there are a ton of differences too. Mostly in the character design, voices, and personality. Haha I actually loved Timmy's super narrow head. I liked his old character design, voice, and overall personality. He's far more mature than in the regular series when he became plain bratty. But yeah, with a head like that, he'd fit in perfectly with Hey Arnold and it would make no difference. XD;;; And I totally remember this short too! Nickelodeon used to play it a lot around circa 2003. And I love this episode too, very underrated. My favorite part was the roller coaster scene and the fairies switching the picture of Timmy on the same rollercoaster. I love Cosmo's old voice, I honestly wish they kept it like that. His current voice is like nails on a chalkboard. Haha the ending was priceless, one minute Vicky is one the verge of getting sacked, next minute his parents find pepperoni between his teeth and hit the roof. Maybe the Golden Pepperoni of Catherine de Medici also gave Timmy problems. And I s*** you not, I always compare both this short and the Golden Pepperoni episode together because their endings was pretty similar. The fanny comments were funny too. Of course, leave it up to Vicky to pour salt into wound. With a literal size toothbrush no less. XD;;; And LMAO don't start, these fannys you speak of ain't my thing. Plus, isn't fanny cursing in British slang or something? Unless you yourself have a thing for British stuff. ^_~

The FOP shorts definitely outshine both Hey Arnold and Rugrats' respective early seasons put together. And yeah, Season 1 and most of Season 2 of Rugrats was just.... bizarre. All it featured was Tommy and Chucky crawling around, and Angelica and the twins were hardly ever featured. My favorite era of golden Rugrats was Season 3, which was the 1993-1994 season. And also the first season of Legends as well. ^_~ And I like the era from about 1997 when the show first came back. I think that's my second favorite season/era after Season 3. So yeah the way early episodes of Rugrats are a bit on the overrated side. ^_~

*Jumping back into the FOP shorts era in my first paragraph, I paired up 10/11 of the Purple Parrot temple runs with all ten FOP shorts. Basically episodes that have similarity are what I compare them and match them up. I did the same with all the Season 1 layouts of Legends, what with being an early era of the show. I should post those comparisons in here. I'm sure it would make for an interesting read. Also, fun fact: I also made a meme of Vicky looking all evil faced and running back over to Timmy and his parents after the pepperoni debacle. Not sure if I should post it here, because I might get modded for it. ^_~
The Comet-Embroidered Battle Flag of William the Conqueror

goodgollyregina
6 months ago#83
Alright, purge time is coming up, so as promised I'll show you my FOP shorts and Purple Parrot match ups. Below I'll post which episodes are matched up together, and my reasoning behind it. I have to keep this short, since you know, character limits. ^_~

Here are the match ups:

The Fairly Odd Parents! / The Metal Beard of the Egyptian Queen

The first ever short vs. The last ever Purple Parrot temple run. I figure I might switch it up by pairing up the last Purple Parrot run with the first ever short. The intro of the fairies is what I liken to Randy entering the temple upon TJ's removal. And the end when Vicky wakes up from her "dream" can be Randy escaping with the Metal Beard successfully. So hence, I matched those two up. ^_~

Too Many Timmys / King Tut's Cobra Staff

This is kind of a random one, but I needed to fit a Season 1 Parrot run in there somewhere to fill the slots, so I matched these up. I guess Timmy summoning his clones after Vicky is David's entry into the temple. Vicky having a mental breakdown in the Turner's closet can be the end of the temple run. Both are exciting episodes, and both have almost paralleling endings, so that is my reasoning behind matching these episodes up. ^_~

Where's the Wand? / The Leopard Skin Cloak of Annie Oakley

For this one, Cosmo trying to serenade Vicky is similar to Chandra busting through the wall and taking the elevator. And Vicky getting humiliated at the end of the dance would be the time running out. Not much else to say except those two scenarios are the reasoning behind matching these episodes up. ^_~

Party of Three / The Golden Pepperoni of Catherine de Medici

I pretty much described this above, but I'll reiterate here. Timmy getting pepperoni stuck between his teeth, and Aqila passing up the pepperoni, are so similar in outcome it's not even funny. Plus, Timmy losing his privileges to stay home alone again cements that. Plus, pepperoni giving Timmy problems, and the artifact literally being a Golden Pepperoni, come on, I couldn't not pair these two episodes up. ^_~

The Fairy Flu / The Upside Down Compass of Henry Hudson

The ending where Derek drops the monkey piece over the edge, is very similar to Tootie kissing Timmy at the end of the episode. Resulting in Timmy getting sick and contracting a food allergy to sauerkraut. Like Party of Three/Golden Pepperoni, the endings are eerily similar. So this match up was yet another no brainer. ^_~

The Temp / The Lost Lion Tail of Little John

This is another random match up here. But I guess the fairies not being featured with Timmy for a change, and Timmy frustrated with Jeff the elf, exemplifies the utter frustration that was this temple run. Jeff being sent away with Santa at the end of the episode, is time running out in Lost Lion Tail, putting an end to the run's misery in the first place. Plus, I don't care about either episode anyways, so it's fitting. ^_~

*continued in next post*

goodgollyregina
6 months ago#84
FOP shorts / Purple Parrot Match Ups: Part 2

The Zappys / The Snakeskin Boots of Billy the Kid

Now this is a very interesting one. Timmy and the fairies winning a Zappy award, is also the Purple Parrots winning in the temple for once. Timmy also getting Jorgen's teeth as an added bonus, would be Tony finally coming out of the temple to score the first ever Purple Parrots win. You couldn't ask for a better match up. ^_~

Scout's Honor / The Milk Bucket of Freydis

Another Purple Parrot win and interesting match up. Timmy winning the final merit badge at the end is Tarrah winning the whole thing solo. This one is pretty self explanatory. ^_~

The Really Bad Day / The Bone Necklace of the Blackfeet Chief

Cosmo failing to be bad initially, is Leah's slowness in the temple. Cosmo getting bad lessons in Brandon trying to make up for some lost time. The bad day ends the same time the temple run does. A failed escape from the Purple Parrots. Hence the match up here. ^_~

Super Humor / The Sacred Ring of the Sultan Suleiman

The episode ending on a rushed, anticlimactic note, is the Purple Parrots triple capture here. And I'm not a fan of either episode anyways, hence the match up. ^_~

Not included: The Oracle Bowl of Delphi

If Nickelodeon can exclude "Where's the Wand" from airing, then same can be done for Oracle Bowl. There just weren't any episodes left. So, what do you think? ^_~

User Info: Tutankoopa

Tutankoopa
6 months ago#85
I was a little confused by the rankings first, but then realized that you explained them in the post above your rankings in the last paragraph. Must've taken a lot of time to find the similarities. XD Here are my thoughts on the first half: ^_~

The Fairly Odd Parents!: I had to rewatch this short since I haven't seen it in a long time, but I thought it was a solid intro for the show. Especially considering this was a short. ^_~ We get a good concept for each character like how Vicky is the evil babysitter, Cosmo and Wanda are Timmy's Fairy God Parents who can grant him wishes within the rules, and Timmy is considered an outcast. I love all the 90's real world references like how Timmy's parents were watching the "Titanic Director's Cut". Most cartoons these days don't have real world references. ^_~

Too Many Timmys: This was definitely one of the funniest episodes out of all the shorts. This is also one of the shorts I remember from my childhood. Anyways, the plot behind this episode is very creative on how Timmy tortures Vicky with clones of himself. And Vicky's mental breakdown reminds me of Bailey having a breakdown when the Cobra Staff episode is rated high by others. ^_~

Where's My Wand: This is definitely one of the craziest FOP shorts. I like how we see Vicky with her classmates though. I don't think we ever really saw Vicky with people her age in the actual show. Also, the scene where Cosmo dresses up like a charming young man and Wanda getting jealous was definitely hilarious. XD For me, Vicky winning the #1 prize while wearing an embarrassing costume reminds me of Ahmed Baba and Annie Oakley. Especially with how PP319 would treat these two episodes. ^_~

Party of Three: This is another episode I remember from the Nicktoon short days. ^_~ Specifically, the roller coaster scene is the one scene that sticks out the most. I also like the Fanny comment at the end of the episode. That word has a different meaning in the UK. XD Finally, I like how the ending shows Timmy not getting his own way at the end. That's what makes this show creative where the ending of each episode always doesn't go the main characters' way. ^_~ And I definitely see the Golden Pepperoni comparisons clearly with this episode. XD Plus, Vicky having an over reactive imagination is similar to the Golden Pepperoni legend being absurd. ^_~

The Fairy Flu: Another episode that I needed to rewatch, but I like how he was are introduced to a new character besides Vicky and Timmy's Parents. XD This episode was another great watch though. I like how overly attached Vicky's sister was towards Timmy. I kind of wish we saw Vicky's parents reaction towards the charred house. Or at least get a reference at the end of the episode. ^_~
Baltimore Orioles: 3-0 | Baltimore Ravens: 8-8
Why Not? 2012 | 2014

goodgollyregina
6 months ago#86
Nah, it didn't take much time or thought at all. I have both Legends episodes, (Purple Parrot or otherwise), and all ten FOP shorts memorized, so this write up took nothing at all. Well, character limits aside. XD;;;

And yeah, the first ever short is a solid introduction to the show. It really does a good job introducing the characters, the plot, and just the entire show in general. I especially liked how it showed Timmy's life even before his fairies were introduced. Loved the 90s references too, including the Titanic: Director's Cut Timmy's parents were watching. You wouldn't see that on most shows today. This is honestly my favorite short, hell favorite episode ever period, of FOP. And on the flip side, the first ever short can be paired up with Metal Beard, the last ever Purple Parrot temple run. Metal Beard can also be considered a "first" though, like the first and only time the Purple Parrots ever win a tiebreaker, and by an extension their first and only one pendant temple run. So the connotations still match. ^_~

I also love Too Many Timmys. I love watching Vicky lose her s*** over all of Timmy's clones torturing her. And LMAO you're totally right about Vicky's mental breakdown being similar to GM1 getting triggered over only one Purple Parrot fan liking this episode. Another connotation that matches. ^_~

Where's The Wand is another good one too. Kind of a shame it was never paired up with the other shorts and aired on Nickelodeon. I also liked the concept of Vicky being around her peers, and showing her life outside babysitting Timmy. It goes back to my point on showing Timmy's life before the fairies come into the picture. I loved the Cosmo trying to flirt with Vicky scene too, especially with the sound clips used in that edit. XD;;; Vicky getting humiliated at the end totally reminds me of Whinyf*** getting triggered over the Tall Turban/Leopard Skin Cloak comparisons. Though didn't Whinyf*** actually like Leopard Skin Cloak though? ^_~

Party of Three is another overlooked short, it's another one I remember vividly from back when the shorts were played on Nickelodeon. The rollercoaster scene, and Vicky trying to present a photo as such, are the best scenes. The fanny comments are priceless, especially since that's a curse word in UK slang. ^_~ I used to be peeved that Timmy didn't actually get his way at the end, especially over some super trivial. But now, I also like how he didn't actually get his way with something. It is a very creative way to write a main character getting the shaft, like you said. The Golden Pepperoni comparisons are so blatantly obvious with this short, especially at the end. XD;;; And Vicky's so called overactive imagination regarding Timmy's party totally shares connotations to the ridiculous Golden Pepperoni legend. I honestly never thought of it that way, good find. ^_~

Oh yeah, The Fairy Flu is an excellent one. I love this short. This is my second favorite short outside of the first pilot. I love how it extends on Timmy's life outside the house, and like Vicky in Where's The Wand, shows him around kids his own age. This short also does an excellent job introducing Tootie, Vicky's little sister. And someone who is crazy obsessed with Timmy to boot. And where the hell were Vicky and Tootie's parents in all of this? Especially when their house got destroyed towards the end of the episode. Couldn't they reference Vicky and Tootie taking a break from cleaning up their whole house, while visiting a sick Timmy in bed? And Timmy getting sick with a food allergy totally matches Derek dropping the monkey piece over the edge. Like Party of Three, Timmy gets unlucky yet again. ^_~

I also paired up all ten shorts with all the Season 1 layouts of the show, two had to share a layout. But I'll post those another time. Still, you see the connotations of both shows I explained above, don't you? ^_~
(edited 6 months ago)

User Info: Regina_George

Regina_George
5 months ago#87
*Bump*

It's purge time, and I'd like to finish reviewing the shorts/Purple Parrot episode match ups. And if you think the connotations match. Maybe later I'll post a more detailed version of why each episode matches with the other. ^_~
The top 5 best Temple Runs: Lucky Pillow, Lawrence of Arabia, John Sutter, Catherine the Great, and of course the Paintbrush!
And none for Stone Marker, bye!
(edited 5 months ago)

Regina_George
5 months ago#88
*Gives thread another bump*

Or if you don't want to talk about that anymore, you still have Part 3 of my bashfic to review. The links are in the OP if you want to check it out. ^_~
The top 5 best Temple Runs: Lucky Pillow, Lawrence of Arabia, John Sutter, Catherine the Great, and of course the Paintbrush!

Regina_George
4 months ago#89
*Bump*

Do you want to use this thread anymore? I want this Hangout thread to at least last longer than the first one did. And I'd like you to review Part 3 of my bashfic "Reap What You Sow." It's just as funny as the first two parts you reviewed. ^_~

Regina_George
4 months ago#90
@Tutankoopa (For the next time you log in and update yourself)

Tag in case you still want to review Part 3 of my bashfic. After that we can just let this thread purge, since this has not been used in a while. Up to you of course. ^_~
  1. Boards
  2. Halls of Montezuma: A Battle History of the U.S. Marine Corps
  3. ***Halls of Montezuma Hangout Topic*** Reboot!