• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  3. Ohohohoho. (RNG related)

User Info: Koishi_Komeiji

Koishi_Komeiji
7 years ago#1
The following is a compilation of several posts by Garthor on the Penny Arcade forums. (Bolding is mine for emphasis.) He says he got this information from the game files. I don't have any confirmation on this for myself, but if it's true, it explains:
* some of the RNG differences people noticed between Normal and Classic, especially early-game (though not in the way some people might expect)
* missing at ridiculously high hit chances
* Why the implementation of the panic friendly fire is stupid and needs to be changed
Interestingly, chance to hit is capped at 95%, so a 100% shot can miss. (Applies to both aliens and humans)

I had a look at some of the hit calculations, since we were talking about the RNG:

Turns out, on Easy and Normal, the game literally cheats for you:

On easy AND you are down to 3 or fewer soldiers:
Chance to hit is 120% of displayed value
Chance to hit is further increased by 15% (absolute) per missing squad member, under 4 (if you only brought 1 soldier, he has +45% chance to hit)
For hits that have at least a 50% chance of hitting,you receive another 15% (absolute) chance to hit per consecutive miss (up to 30%)
Alien chance to hit is reduced by 10% (absolute) for each consecutive hit.
Alien chance to hit is reduced by 25% (absolute) for each squad member missing under 4

On normal with 4 or fewer soldiers, or easy with precisely 4:
Chance to hit is 120% of displayed value
For hits that have at least a 50% chance of hitting, chance to hit is increased by 15% (absolute) per consecutive miss, with no upper limit
Alien chance to hit is reduced by 10% (absolute) for each consecutive hit.
Interestingly, chance to hit is capped at 95%, so a 100% shot can miss.

Consecutive misses are any shots that had a 50%+ chance to hit, but missed. Shots with a lower chance are ignored. Also: hit chances explicitly do not apply to friendly fire. Psi attacks have their own stuff that goes into native code, so I can't tell if there are any of these adjustments.

As for class selection... your first four Squaddies are guaranteed to be different classes. Otherwise, a class is picked entirely at random. If you have precisely 2 or 4 of the selected class (alive), and less than half that many (so, having precisely 0, or 1) of one or more other classes, it will pick one of those instead.

So, your first 4 are different classes. After that, if you have 0 of a class, you're guaranteed one of that class BEFORE 3 of some other class. If you have 1 of a class, you're guaranteed another BEFORE 5 of some other class. After you have 2 of a class, the game will never guarantee or even improve the odds of getting more, so getting backups is simply up to chance.

For PSI testing:
Turns out it's determined primarily by a soldier's Will when you drop them into Psi testing (determined the moment you pop them in there, somewhat interestingly, so you can't save-scum to change the results). The odds are Will/4 out of 100.

The following paragraph's functionality *may* be glitched and nonfunctional, according to Garthor:
IF the unit being tested is in the top 6 highest-willed soldiers you have, then it has a +75% (absolute) chance to be psychic. This bonus is reduced by 20% for each position further from #1 it is in this will ranking (so your highest-willed soldier has a +75% chance of being psychic, second-highest +55%, etc). Additionally, this bonus is reduced by 40% for each other soldier in the top 6 who are Psi-positive (but not affected by any other psychic soldiers).

I'm not with you.
You're not with me.

User Info: U1gitarooman

U1gitarooman
7 years ago#2
Yeah...it definitely feels like it fudges the numbers a lot. Glad to see it confirmed.
Listen to me. I'm a sage!

User Info: SlightlySychotic

SlightlySychotic
7 years ago#3
Explains why I seem to be hitting less on Normal even though the percentages are about what they were on Easy. Not ground shattering but interesting.
Sychotic Quote for the Whenever: "Don't think I'll go easy on you just because you're a dog."

User Info: Koishi_Komeiji

Koishi_Komeiji
7 years ago#4
He updated with this:
Also, I made another mistake: attacks with a 100% chance to hit skip the hit chance adjustment entirely (for aliens and players). There still is that odd deadzone where shots cannot have actual chances to hit between 96 and 99, but that doesn't matter much.

Though that wouldn't explain the many reports of misses on 100% hit chances.
I'm not with you.
You're not with me.

User Info: AyahRiven

AyahRiven
7 years ago#5
Koishi_Komeiji posted...
He updated with this:
Also, I made another mistake: attacks with a 100% chance to hit skip the hit chance adjustment entirely (for aliens and players). There still is that odd deadzone where shots cannot have actual chances to hit between 96 and 99, but that doesn't matter much.

Though that wouldn't explain the many reports of misses on 100% hit chances.

That's called people lying.

User Info: truekain

truekain
7 years ago#6
Finished the game twice, never had a 100% shot miss, even thought it's probably possible, I'd say the odds are so low, people claiming to have it happen to them regularly are obviously lying.
A good elf is a dead elf.

User Info: Kaezar_Kaze

Kaezar_Kaze
7 years ago#7
Never had a shot miss on 100%, either.

Hells, because someone said that the Hit Chance is capped at 99.6% (but is listed as 100%), went back and played a full campaign, hacked my soldiers Aim to some ridiculous number (like 999), and... whoops. Not capped at 99.6% after all.
The most terrifying phrase you'll ever hear in your life is,
"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you."

User Info: The_Ghost_Song

The_Ghost_Song
7 years ago#8
I've only ever had a 100% chance miss on the second shot of rapid fire.

User Info: EricksHinumaru

EricksHinumaru
7 years ago#9
Never had a shot miss on 100%, either.

Hells, because someone said that the Hit Chance is capped at 99.6% (but is listed as 100%), went back and played a full campaign, hacked my soldiers Aim to some ridiculous number (like 999), and... whoops. Not capped at 99.6% after all.

I'm not quite sure how raising the Aim to something ridiculous like 999 proves that the accuracy isn't capped at 99.6%.
If you're seeing this signature, I have nothing witty to say.
GT: EricksHinumaru | PSN: ggKWilt | Steam: EricksHinumaru

User Info: Phamonn

Phamonn
7 years ago#10
So what I got out of this isn't that classic or impossible screws with your %, it's that easy and normal actually cheat to make it easier? Hah. Can't say I'm surprised.

So the standard 'the % isn't lying' for classic and impossible still stands then?
  1. Boards
  2. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  3. Ohohohoho. (RNG related)
  • Topic Archived
More topics from this board...
Kinda disappointedDievold38/2 8:22PM

GameFAQs Q&A