Sniper Abilities: Snapshot or Squadsight?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  3. Sniper Abilities: Snapshot or Squadsight?

User Info: SinistraX

SinistraX
5 years ago#11
You should really have one sniper of each type.

Squadsight, amazing for non-timed missions. Give him a good vantage point and he will have some AMAZING trick shots with overwatch and just shoot through those tough enemies like a knife through butter.

Snapshot, so your sniper can keep up with your squad. Essential on terror missions where you have to go in buildings to save people. If you bring a squad-sight sniper on these missions he won't get a shot in the entire time.

User Info: EnragedSlith

EnragedSlith
5 years ago#12
Yian Yan posted...
EnragedSlith posted...
The problem with Snapshot is that your next promotion makes your pistol twice as powerful, which is far more useful than wasting your sniper ammunition on inaccurate oversight shots.

Not if you go with the other ability. Isn't that one Damn Good Ground wherein you get better bonuses from better ground?

That's a really good bonus, but it's inconsistent, particularly until you get the armor that lets you grapple. If you want a sniper that can stick with your team and take a few hits, I find it better to go with the pistol upgrade. That said, I use two snipers and split their skills.

If there's one skill I haven't found a use for, it's Disabling Shot. It sounded good on paper, but it doesn't work with pistols(!!) and often has significantly less accuracy than my regular sniping attack, which usually has a good chance to outright kill the enemy.

User Info: Mooj Starfury

Mooj Starfury
5 years ago#13
Wait for later in the game when enemies aren't going to reliably drop to one shot.

When you get something up close on your assault that you somehow missed, Disabling Shot can be a literal lifesaver.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -Henry Louis Mencken

User Info: Lord Blade

Lord Blade
5 years ago#14
Squadsight is what makes a sniper a sniper.

Their accuracy goes up with range. So if they can see the target themselves to shoot it, they're going to have crap accuracy. Meanwhile if you have Squadsight, you're pegging off targets across the stage with 100% accuracy. It's awesome.
Are today's games made for 1 armed, drunken kids with downs-syndrome? - krazy168
The politically correct term is "casual gamer" - wubikens

User Info: ChronoReverse

ChronoReverse
5 years ago#15
Mooj Starfury posted...
Wait for later in the game when enemies aren't going to reliably drop to one shot.

When you get something up close on your assault that you somehow missed, Disabling Shot can be a literal lifesaver.

Yeah, disabling shot on something like a cyberdisc is wonderful.

User Info: ChibiAsuran

ChibiAsuran
5 years ago#16
Squad sight is the best perk for a sniper that is staying still. However, this can cause alot of problems in maps with awkward elevation or cover.

I found having a sniper that does not move problematic in situations where line of sight is easily blocked.

Snapshot snipers may not be as accurate and effective at killing targets, but the mobility gained from the perk is brilliant. Being able to displace when LoS is broke or when enemy gets into troublesome highcover is sometimes invaluable.

Personally, I have both a snapshot and squadsight sniper in my team at almost all times and it proves insanely effective.
"It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value." - Arthur C. Clarke
PSN: JJFatS-2384

User Info: ChronoReverse

ChronoReverse
5 years ago#17
ChibiAsuran posted...
Squad sight is the best perk for a sniper that is staying still. However, this can cause alot of problems in maps with awkward elevation or cover.

I found having a sniper that does not move problematic in situations where line of sight is easily blocked.

Snapshot snipers may not be as accurate and effective at killing targets, but the mobility gained from the perk is brilliant. Being able to displace when LoS is broke or when enemy gets into troublesome highcover is sometimes invaluable.

Personally, I have both a snapshot and squadsight sniper in my team at almost all times and it proves insanely effective.

What I do is have Squadsight and Gunslinger. Then I give my Sniper my best pistol.

Now I have the best of both worlds.

User Info: Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus
5 years ago#18
Yian Yan posted...
Not if you go with the other ability. Isn't that one Damn Good Ground wherein you get better bonuses from better ground?

Yes, and it's fantastic for a squadsight sniper. Put them on high ground and you can get a 95-100% hit rate on enemies halfway across the map, or make Disabling Shots at 85% or higher (great for captures). Without it, those'd be 10% lower, which doesn't sound like much, but once you get In the Zone (don't lose an action if you kill an enemy out of cover) you can get four or five kills in a row on each turn, and being able to disable a target's gun whenever you need it makes a huge difference against certain enemy types..

Frankly, I've stopped taking Snap Shot at all. In my first game, I had one sniper of each type, and the Snap Shot sniper was just useless. If I'd wanted someone who could move and then shoot, I'd just have brought another Support along. The inherent Aim penalty for Snap Shot, and the range penalty you'll get from that sort of short-range combat, more than offset the sniper rifle's Aim bonus. It makes the rifle so weak that you're better off just using a Plasma Pistol (which you'll have plenty of, thanks to Sectoid captures), especially if you went Gunslinger, at which point you might as well take Squadsight anyway for those times when the pistol doesn't work out.
More importantly, those Aim penalties meant that if I did decide to set up my sniper in an actual overlook location, she'd be lucky to get a 70-80% hit rate against long-range targets at top rank, while my Squadsight guy was hitting 100%. It's not a HUGE difference, but you can get that same 70-80% with a Support using a scope in his extra slot, and/or a light plasma gun instead of the regular.
  1. Boards
  2. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  3. Sniper Abilities: Snapshot or Squadsight?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived