• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  3. Changing difficulty in the demo. (Reposted from 2K, credit to cmfreak)

User Info: Koishi_Komeiji

Koishi_Komeiji
6 years ago#1
Reposted from 2K forums, original by cmfreak. According to the topic in the forums, the demo may be running on Easy.

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?139306-How-to-change-Difficulty-Settings-here

Just go to the XCOM demo steam install folder (\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown-Demo\Engine\Config).

And then open "BaseGame.ini" with notepad, edit the line "GameDifficulty=+0.0" change this to "GameDifficulty=+3.0"

I believe 3.0 is classic mode (ed. note: Speculation later in the thread says it might be Impossible). I actually failed the mission by getting my squad all killed!

Note: You must edit the ini file in the steam install folder and not the one in my documents folder, otherwise it will not work.

Hoping someone finds a way to skip the first tutorial mission!

Can't wait for the full game to come out oOMMGGGG!!! Have fun guys!
I'm not with you.
You're not with me.

User Info: XGalt

XGalt
6 years ago#2
Nice find and thanks.
"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
GT/PSN: GnuX

User Info: widget624

widget624
6 years ago#3
And if you head to \Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown-Demo\XComGame\Config

and open DefaultGameCore.ini you can find the SKYRANGER_CAPACITY line which allows you to bump up your squad to the full 6

User Info: DuneMan

DuneMan
6 years ago#4
Sweet finds. Thanks.
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao

User Info: FirelanderX

FirelanderX
6 years ago#5
This is the best thing in the world.
Gamertag: FirelanderX

User Info: Pal 080

Pal 080
6 years ago#6
Awe.Some

Edit: 3 attempts later I still can't beat the mission... furthest I got was down to one skinny dude but he got the jump on my one remaining guy... anyone who complains about this game not being difficult is either crazy or very very patient!
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate"

DuneMan
6 years ago#7
Pal 080 posted...
Awe.Some

Edit: 3 attempts later I still can't beat the mission... furthest I got was down to one skinny dude but he got the jump on my one remaining guy... anyone who complains about this game not being difficult is either crazy or very very patient!

Yeah, and yet on the default Easy difficulty the game's mission can be beaten flawlessly for the first time by someone totally new. Classic difficulty set with Ironman mode is really the difficulty intended for folks familiar with strategy games.

One thing to keep in mind for that mission on the harder settings is managing your Heavy well so he's ready to Rocket enemies like the Thin Men once they're discovered. In the retail game that takes the corpses away, IIRC, but in the demo it ragdolls them hilariously while you take out half the wall next to them.

User Info: Smokey_MacPot

Smokey_MacPot
6 years ago#8
Nice, just tried it with harder difficulty. Sectoids were cake, but I wasted my rocket on them. Floaters took out 2 of my guys and thin men took out the last two. A lot more fun than just steamrolling my way through, but a little frustrating that all my guys could only take one shot and they were dead, except my heavy who took one shot and had one life left. I don't know what percentage the thin men had of hitting me, but full cover didn't seem to help much. They shot 3 times and hit 3 times and my last two were dead.

It did make it feel a lot more like the old school XCOM though. Before you get any sort of armor you will pretty much die to one shot no matter what, so I'm not complaining, it's to be expected. I'm sure once they level up and you get some more advanced armor they will be more resilient.
If you can read this, you are literate.

User Info: ChronoReverse

ChronoReverse
6 years ago#9
Oh I gotta try this when I get home. I was confused when HQ ordered me to capture the thin guys and I walked my soldiers up to them expecting a "grapple" option to show up lol. But nobody died anyway despite being that suicidal.

DuneMan
6 years ago#10
ChronoReverse posted...
Oh I gotta try this when I get home. I was confused when HQ ordered me to capture the thin guys and I walked my soldiers up to them expecting a "grapple" option to show up lol. But nobody died anyway despite being that suicidal.

You need to research and equip a device known as the Arc Thrower to capture aliens alive. It has 2 usage attempts per mission, and the percentage is much higher if the alien has 3 or less hitpoints. E.g. if a Thin Man has 4 hitpoints you might toss a Frag Grenade at him to bring him down to 1 hitpoint for an easy followup capture.
  1. Boards
  2. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  3. Changing difficulty in the demo. (Reposted from 2K, credit to cmfreak)
  • Topic Archived