• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. The Last of Us
  3. POLL Is Joel a hero or a villain?

User Info: the_superiorx2

the_superiorx2
7 years ago#1
Simple question. Do you think at the end Joel is ultimately a good guy or do you think he is as bad as the psychos you face? - Results (93 votes)
Yes he's good. I would have done the same in his position.
22.58% (21 votes)
No he is a psychopath with little redemption.
12.9% (12 votes)
If it wasn't for his love for Ellie then he would be a bad guy.
12.9% (12 votes)
Neither. There are no good guys or bad guys in this world.
51.61% (48 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Personally for me it is option 3. If it wasn't for Ellie then Joel probably would have lost his mind and become another psycho cannibal roaming the countryside. Although it is ironically his love for Ellie that doomed mankind, although really I don't think they were ever going to cure the world, and I think Joel knew that.

User Info: antking61

antking61
7 years ago#2
Option 4 (Put it in)

Society has collapsed and normal conventions no longer apply. Joel didn't want to take a chance with Ellie's life on the POSSIBILITY for a cure. It just wasn't worth the risk.
Hoo Haa!!! I has Signature!!!

User Info: mrcivic88

mrcivic88
7 years ago#3
Why are people so focused on looking at everything as being strictly black and white? That's one of the key things this game was trying to go against: in the real world, not everything is so easily classifiable.

The characters in this game were human. They had noble goals that often required less than noble actions to achieve.

User Info: benbeverfaqs

benbeverfaqs
7 years ago#4
Something between 1 and 4. There are definitely better and worse people in the game. But Joel isn't exactly a hero. Well he doesn't save a girl at the end, so that make him a hero. I picked 1, but it'a a bit too black and white.

User Info: hyperknees91

hyperknees91
7 years ago#5
mrcivic88 posted...
Why are people so focused on looking at everything as being strictly black and white? That's one of the key things this game was trying to go against: in the real world, not everything is so easily classifiable.

The characters in this game were human. They had noble goals that often required less than noble actions to achieve.

Because it seems a lot of people can only classify things as black and white. Morals probably has something to do with it.
oof

User Info: DogEatDog

DogEatDog
7 years ago#6
I disagree with the majority vote. Ellie is a "good guy" in this game. By "good" I don't mean that she's innocent from killing a lot of people but what redeems her is her willingness to sacrifice herself for a chance to save humanity. She may not have known about the brain surgery but she did know she would most likely die in the long journey to the FF and she was okay with that.

Joel is neither hero or villian, he is an anti-hero.

User Info: FreeMan5407

FreeMan5407
7 years ago#7
I would have done the same in his position. except killing the doctors

however some people don't understand tha the world is different is brutal & beyond safe, is a dog eat dog world

User Info: Fizzle_Pork

Fizzle_Pork
7 years ago#8
Neither. He's just a man, nothing else.

User Info: lucky_sharm19

lucky_sharm19
7 years ago#9
The characters in this game are way too complex and nuanced to be placed on a black and white morality spectrum.

Basically, no, Joel is neither a villain nor a hero.

This is 20 years later. Most people are cutthroat because everyone else is dead. If you take one guy who shoots first and one guy who tries to make peace first, put them together, the guy who took no chances and shot on sight will be the one who walks away. Play that situation out multiple times over 20 years and it's easy to see how the "good" people arent really around. That said, you still meet people like Henry and find signs of things like Ish's community. The peacemakers are still out there. But because they're at an inherent disadvantage when meeting other groups, it's obviously better for them to keep to themselves, so you wouldnt be running into them often anyway.

Also, just because they are trying to kill you doesnt make them "evil" per say, at least not in the world in which they live. It's kill or be killed. I think it's very realistic. Not EVERYONE would be like that and not everyone is. But you can be sure that kind of behavior would run rampant. It's the safest way to live. They already have a group. They already have strength in numbers. They dont need some new guy they dont know or trust putting the entire group at risk.
PSN: GSPhantom
But really, it's a battlefield! How do you compassionately stab someone?

User Info: lukerum

lukerum
7 years ago#10
If only we knew exactly what he had been up to for those 20 years, it would better show who he finished up as. For all we knew, he was planning bad things for Ellie by keeping her alive.
  1. Boards
  2. The Last of Us
  3. POLL Is Joel a hero or a villain?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A