• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Last of Us
  3. This game is boring and overrated.

User Info: Paladin_

Paladin_
6 years ago#41
TC, you keep saying how boring this game is and saying that its not because of the action. Then, you compare it to a bunch of games that are heavy on action...
She ain't a killer but she'll blow your head off.

User Info: lone_the_bleak

lone_the_bleak
6 years ago#42
i agree with some of your points...
its ok. i fell for the hype too.

I've been enjoying State of Decay more than this game, and it was 30 dollars(near 40) less..

User Info: Stouffer1

Stouffer1
6 years ago#43
hei22190 posted...
z_cherub posted...
Several posts later & I'm still not seeing your point. There's precious little any of us can do about you not liking the game. Just turn it off & trade it for something you do like.

I did a redbox on this one and honestly i can say that it is NOT RENT WORTHY!

do yourself a favor, people who are thinking of renting... go rent something like metal gear rising instead, you will have a far more enjoyable experience

So you proclaim the game as an 8/10, then say not even rent worthy? I would say you have high standards, then I realise you like metal gear rising so I'd guess not.

Obvious troll is obvious.

User Info: wolf rider

wolf rider
6 years ago#44
I see that no one has actually addressed the OP's points and instead resorted to the usual insults.
"Crows before hoes" ~ Jon Snow

User Info: Zmapper33

Zmapper33
6 years ago#45
The reviews were definitely bought. The game is good, but it isn't a masterpiece, it isn't perfect, it isn't near perfect, it isn't goty, it isn't gotm, it isn't naughty dogs best, it isn't the ps3s best, it isn't the best zombie game, it isn't the best survival game, it isn't the best anything.

I'm not seeing any of the substance that people said the game had in the reviews. The setting isn't immersive or designed well. The relationship of the girl and the man is not developed well at all. The situation really doesn't seem that dire. The reason for traveling across the city is zombie movie/game cliche.

The gameplay is not very good due to bad controls. There is no character customization, I mean that is a pitiful skills menu if I ever saw one, not even worth having any skill progression in the game. There's barely anything to craft and its such a simple craft system that you might as well not even have a craft system and instead just put the molotovs, grenades, smoke bombs, etc as pickups around the levels.

It was probably the first time in all of my gaming that I halfway listened to reviewers and believed that the game was going to be amazing, usually I just pick up what I know I'll like. They burned me and I think they burned a lot of other people. The game is average at best. When I was playing it and fighting the clunky controls and lack of items or enemy variety or a number of other things all I could think was how unfairly Resident Evil 6 got reviewed because compared to what I was playing RE6 was a masterpiece: better graphics, better items, better weapons, more variety in enemies and playable characters/abilities, better story, better controls, longer game, I mean come on Last of Us had some heavy duty review purchasing budget.

User Info: Stouffer1

Stouffer1
6 years ago#46
Zmapper33 posted...
The reviews were definitely bought. The game is good, but it isn't a masterpiece, it isn't perfect, it isn't near perfect, it isn't goty, it isn't gotm, it isn't naughty dogs best, it isn't the ps3s best, it isn't the best zombie game, it isn't the best survival game, it isn't the best anything.

I'm not seeing any of the substance that people said the game had in the reviews. The setting isn't immersive or designed well. The relationship of the girl and the man is not developed well at all. The situation really doesn't seem that dire. The reason for traveling across the city is zombie movie/game cliche.

The gameplay is not very good due to bad controls. There is no character customization, I mean that is a pitiful skills menu if I ever saw one, not even worth having any skill progression in the game. There's barely anything to craft and its such a simple craft system that you might as well not even have a craft system and instead just put the molotovs, grenades, smoke bombs, etc as pickups around the levels.

It was probably the first time in all of my gaming that I halfway listened to reviewers and believed that the game was going to be amazing, usually I just pick up what I know I'll like. They burned me and I think they burned a lot of other people. The game is average at best. When I was playing it and fighting the clunky controls and lack of items or enemy variety or a number of other things all I could think was how unfairly Resident Evil 6 got reviewed because compared to what I was playing RE6 was a masterpiece: better graphics, better items, better weapons, more variety in enemies and playable characters/abilities, better story, better controls, longer game, I mean come on Last of Us had some heavy duty review purchasing budget.

RE6 is one of the worst games ever. Shiny graphics which look terrible, not to mention using the exact same animations as a ps2 game. Stupid plot, cliched characters. God awful shooting mechanics (far worse than this)

Perhaps you never felt it, but tbh, in 30 years of gaming, this is one of the finest experiences ever. Sure, it has minor flaws, but at face value it is easily one of the best games ever made.

User Info: pixtran

pixtran
6 years ago#47
The arguments against this game are truly boring. This game is not Uncharted. If you wanted to shoot things and make things explode in an action packed roller coaster, you picked the wrong game. This is a slow paced, more strategic focused game. There are countless mindless shooters and Uncharted clones out there, return this game and get one of those.
Consoles owned:Snes,GB,GBC,N64,DC,GBA,GC,X360,PS2,PSP,Gaming PC,PS3
http://gamercards.exophase.com/89190.png Location: Italy

User Info: MudShadow

MudShadow
6 years ago#48
Zmapper33 posted...

I was like "yeah yeah yeah... that's right".. Then you mentioned Resident Evil 6 being a masterpeice compared to TLOU.. Now that's going too far.

User Info: haiz_imnub

haiz_imnub
6 years ago#49
Truthfully, we shouldn't compare this to any other games. This game is probably rated really high(i also think its really good) is because of how realistic the game is. We don't need shining graphics and exploding things everywhere as i don't think in reality, everything's shining and stuff. Since this game is realistic, it allows some people to imagine themselves (somewhat) Inside it, feel the atmosphere, everything.

This is just my view. I like this game because of how realistic it is. The graphics were good, and not exaggerated to me. The characters' bond may not be understandable to some of us because we have never, and probably never will, experience the need to survive all the time.We would never be able to understand how this kind of survival would bring some people close together.

Maybe a few minor flaws here and there, but when is any game without flaws?

Again, this is just my view. By the way, I'm just commenting to put my view, but for your info, telling us the game is overrated won't really change anything at all. So what if its 10/10 or 1/10? Naughty dog won't say "Oh look, it's not good enough, lets improvise the game and sell it again" Or anything. If it's overrated, well, that's your opinion, so be it. But there's not really much point complaining about it.

User Info: monkey_tennis

monkey_tennis
6 years ago#50
Apologies, but here's another vote for it being boring. And I think the OP has got it pretty spot on as to why.

Sure its got the ND staple prettiness and great voice acting, but, frankly, that's not enough.

This game has you in a perpetual crouch in half lit rooms going in one direction, going towards identikit levels, with convenient low barriers to face off against enemies walking infinitely on the same patrol routes. I sort of laughed when I first saw somebody guarding an area by looking at a wall, but that joke got old really fast. Plus the levelling up / medication / create your own shiv RPG-esque elements are so basic. I mean, really basic. 15 years out of date basic. So, in short, there is no gameplay to speak of.

And the rating matters as well - by making this hang around the mid 90s on Metacritic we are telling the developers this is what we want more of. I quite like that RE6 was brought up as it got an absolute critical caning, but at least it tried to be fun (despite its absurdly long levels) and inventive. RE6 is a bit of a mess, but it should be more reflective of the future gaming than The Last of Us. Stealth games, IMHO, have had their day for now - but the hype for this and Dishonored (which was also a bit boring) will keep them going for quite a while, Im sure. Games Reviewers are the enemy of the games industry in the 21st century.

And The Last of Us isn't immersive. The Walking Dead was immersive - and that had hardly any gameplay either. (Shall we just pull the curtain on Zombie/ Infected/ Apocalypse games and embrace the new fad - Sci Fi?). The Last of Us is the biggest gaming disappointment since GTAIV.
  1. Boards
  2. The Last of Us
  3. This game is boring and overrated.
  • Topic Archived