• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. VVVVVV
  3. Player Level "Variation Venture" - Room "Optional Extra"

User Info: weregoingunion

weregoingunion
8 years ago#1
There was already a topic about this but it is locked: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/647860-vvvvvv/61512384

Right before requesting the 4th person there is an option to either go through a portal and grab the last guy OR to continue through the bottom.

This jump seems absolutely impossible. I have tried everything I can think of, and I've died about 300 times like another person mentioned too.

I am wondering if this is a level-breaking bug. There is just no way to jump far enough to avoid the spikes. There are some platforms on the bottom that help you "speed up" but every combination I've tried doesn't make me jump far enough.

So has anyone encountered the part I'm talking about? Has anybody actually gotten PAST this part?

Also, has anyone played the PC version and, if so, is it any different?

(You'd think someone would have caught this before on the PC version if it really was impossible.)

Thanks for any comments!

weregoingunion
8 years ago#2
That should say "rescuing" the 4th person, not "requesting."

User Info: DarkWind313

DarkWind313
8 years ago#3
I still haven't been able to make that jump, since I posted in the topic that you linked to.
For now, I've given up on trying until someone can comfirm if it is possible.

I've never played the PC version either.
[Dark Spirit, Spirited Wind + Severstarr] -- Someday I will ragequit life.
http://i.imgur.com/2Hqmd.png

weregoingunion
8 years ago#4
Thanks for the reply. I'm giving up on it. Driving me nuts.

Then I started playing Vertiginous Veridian after I have finished about 75% of the player levels. I got to the screen called "All Alike" and it is super frustrating. I absolutely can't beat it right now. This is now the 2nd time this game has gotten frustrating to the point where it is not fun. This is a very poor level design in my opinion. Three very hard rows of enemies to pass under and the second seems nearly impossible. I have failed at it every time and that is when I get past the first row which I can only do every 1/6 tries.

Maybe I've been playing it too long... All of the other player levels I have played have been enjoyable though.

DarkWind313
8 years ago#5
Oh god. All Alike. I hated that room. I was stuck on it for so long. The top half was easy, and I've hardly ever died there, but the bottom half is a nightmare. I racked up hundreds of deaths there before.
After a while, I had given up on it, then randomly tried it a week or two later and got past it on my first try. ._. Maybe taking a break is a good idea?
I saved after I beat the top half, so I could retry the bottom half anytime (until I finally got it).

Now the only levels I have left to get ** on are Variation Venture (obviously) and Golden Spiral.
I can't even beat Golden Spiral, let alone get all the Trinkets. It's insane.

User Info: Kayube

Kayube
8 years ago#6
Somehow I managed to beat all the player levels, though not with all the trinkets in every case...
This signature intentionally left blank.

weregoingunion
8 years ago#7
Yes, that level can be beat without getting the trinkets. The area we are having a problem with is called "Optional Extra" which gives you a choice to teleport to the end OR try to exit out the bottom. The problem is the path is impossible (as far as I can tell.)

Which brings me to another point I was going to start a topic on, but I will just put here: On the level "Line Wrap" on the screen "Don't Fall Down" there is another jump that I absolutely cannot make. It seems impossible. If you beat that level either you made the jump or you found another way - neither of which I have been able to do.

The level starts you out in "outer space" leading you along a path covered by spikes. You can't get up to the top layer of platforms without first going through the "level" areas and finally exiting from the top, falling down on that top walkway. When you walk as far left as you can, there is a checkpoint on the right. It seems like you have to flip upside-down holding left as far as you can go to land up by the next checkpoint. This is the ONLY place to jump from. If you jump from a screen below, it won't take you up to the next screen - it will loop you back around from the bottom. So the way I am describing seems like the logical pathway - problem is, I can't make the jump - The "closest" I can get is hitting the last spike. If I try to jump any later, I fall down to my death.

Anybody remember this level?

DarkWind313
8 years ago#8
The Don't Fall Down jump in Line Wrap is possible.

You have to be as far to the right as possible (on the previous screen), so that you are just barely standing on the ledge, then run across, flipping just as you leave the left side side of the platfom.
The timing is tricky and just takes a bit of practice.

weregoingunion
8 years ago#9
Wow, I got that Don't Fall Down jump in Line Wrap about 2 tries after you told me to go stand on the right side of the platform, and it didn't seem to work when i was standing near it - I had to be pretty close to the edge.

I still don't understand the physics of this game. I thought that after running just a length of the character or two you would be running at full speed, but obviously there is a difference in this case. So do you run at the same speed but your trajectory when jumping will be different?

I noticed another strange thing with the "physics" of the game. On a level where you have to fall down from one screen into another and land on a platform, I noticed that when I would move from right to left instead of falling straight down, it seemed like I would come down at a fraction of a second slower. I wouldn't be able to hit that platform coming straight down but if I came in at an angle I could hit it. Could have been the angle, but it seemed more like the speed. That means that if you are falling, gravity doesn't exactly work right.

I would love to test that jump on Line Wrap again but I am already past that part and have saved so I would have to start all over. Now I am stuck on that last trinket, and it is REALLY hard. I'll hopefully get it soon though.

Thanks!

And don't forget to post if you can make that jump in "Optional Extra" that I originally posted about!

DarkWind313
8 years ago#10
The Optional Extra room is possible now, if you download the new update from the eShop.

It's easy now that the last conveyor belt has been moved closer.
  1. Boards
  2. VVVVVV
  3. Player Level "Variation Venture" - Room "Optional Extra"
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A