2 months ago #5
    I much prefer TT over BB. TT's greatest flaw is that it can be too easy once you put together a strong hand. Plus and Random mitigate this, though not without their own problems. I personally like Plus, but many find it frustrating having to do so much math to check for any possible Plus/Combo that will screw you over. That leaves those people either playing a very easy game or a very annoying game with no in between, which is why I don't tend to praise TT much. Random can feel awful, promoting modding all low level cards to avoid them being in your hand... something anyone looking for 100% should hate. I tend not to care, but its a flaw that's present.

I have far more problems with BB. Vanilla Aurochs suck to the point you can play perfectly and still lose. Unlike TT, the computer can seemingly "cheat" because of the RNG variance. I've tested the RNG variance somewhat, and consistently got unfavorable results. I tracked over 100 encounters with a clear majority being against the player. I'd be curious if anyone ever broke apart that particular RNG apart to see just how favorable/unfavorable it really is. (100 encounters isn't NEARLY a large enough sample size to make any sort of definitive statement.) The variance, along with the player being given limited options on defense, leads to that "even with perfect play" statement. Encounter distances can seem incredibly strange, and the odd lag between hitting square and the encounter actually happening has never made sense to me. OG FFX was so responsive everywhere EXCEPT there. I find it baffling.

I don't particularly like the method of learning techniques, relying on RNG both for the technique to be equipped AND for it to be used. It makes sense, logically, that watching someone else do something helps you figure out how to do it yourself, with your skill making it more likely, but it takes control out of the player's hands. Certainly not a deal breaker, but it IS a small annoyance.

I can't minimize how much I feel the balance of BB is flawed. Nimrook and Brother are both excellent examples of this. 5, 6, 8, 9, 9, 18. One of these is not like the others. To be clear, those are the starting CA values of the goalies for all of the teams. Nimrook on an opposing team means its all about getting a few good shots and hoping his 18 doesn't decide to stop a 27, and later on hope that Super Goalie doesn't activate. Brother is probably even more overpowered, with good stats across the board and a blistering 75 speed.

I enjoy both, but feel BB is quite flawed.
    No one is saying that you broke any laws. We're just saying it's a little bit weird that you didn't have to. -John Oliver, The Daily Show