You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster
  3. So we all concluded it's "Tee-dus", right?

User Info: Seahawker

Seahawker
4 weeks ago#31
ShadeNyx posted...
Square actually fked it up. They wanted the character to be named "Tee-dus" but they actually wrote it as "Tidus" so it was natural for english speakers to pronounce it "Tie-dus".

Then they corrected the mistake in KH1 (Wakka calls him "Tee-dus")

Until KH1 came out, I called him Tie-dus. After hearing it in KH1 I started using Tee-dus since that was the pronounciation the game gave him.
Do you know what they call alternative medicine that's been proved to work? Medicine. ~~Tim Minchin
Xbox Live GT: Shihoku101

User Info: Cliche

Cliche
3 weeks ago#32
I pronounce it as 'Tee-dus' since I am an asian. People with 'Ti' in their names aren't pronounce as 'Tie' here.

User Info: starcrunch061

starcrunch061
3 weeks ago#33
I still call him Tide-us mostly because I associate him with water/tides. I thought that was what they were going for, honestly (with his initial water-like sword, and his emergence on Besaid island).

User Info: Fighter Fei

Fighter Fei
3 weeks ago#34
Look his real name is Jecht. A living reminder of who The Best is.
Sene sovya caba'donde ain dovienya.
Come find me on Final Fantasy XIV: Veena Seras Server: Hyperion

User Info: Mega_Tyrant

Mega_Tyrant
3 weeks ago#35
BLADE2DRAGON posted...
I've always just called him "whiny little b****"...

I never understood this. In my experience being whiny and depress seems to have been a hallmark of FF protagonist. Cloud had his "I'm just a puppet" phase, Squall had his Mini-Sephiroth phase, I cant think of one for Zidane (maybe he's the exception), and Vaan spent a good part of the beginning whining about his brother.

I don't have enough experience with 1-6 and 13+ to comment on those.

The point is all of them had a personal struggle that they eventually overcome through the story.
Bludgeo'd for hammer...

User Info: Gogo726

Gogo726
3 weeks ago#36
I've always called him TIE-dus. Interestingly, other FF games have gotten me to change my mind about character names, but I still refuse to call this guy TEE-dus. Cecil, for me, was SEE-sil until the DS remake. I've accepted Aerith as the correct spelling. And with Butz, I was more than happy to start calling him Bartz.

User Info: 94mav98

94mav98
3 weeks ago#37
Mega_Tyrant posted...
I never understood this. In my experience being whiny and depress seems to have been a hallmark of FF protagonist.

Let's also not forget that his reactions are pretty appropriate for his age (17) and during the circumstances. He also does a lot more than just "whine" about missing his home. I love all those moments where he literally goes "you can stuff your taboos!" and how he actually questions the religious teachings that most people in Spira follow blindly. And his relationship with Yuna is super cute.

I also feel like while his narration is great, the English voice acting in this game in general is just a product of its time. Playing it with Japanese voices and English subtitles really improves how some characters come across.
"Every single new Final Fantasy game is the one that ruined the franchise forever, and this is obvious the second they announce the title."

User Info: ShadowMadness

ShadowMadness
2 weeks ago#38
Teedus is only correct technically because of how the first voice actors decided to pronounce it. I'm allowed to disagree.
Robot: Hoe? You are in error. I wield a 'scythe', a tool designed to expedite the reaping process.

User Info: 94mav98

94mav98
2 weeks ago#39
ShadowMadness posted...
Teedus is only correct technically because of how the first voice actors decided to pronounce it. I'm allowed to disagree.

It's also correct because it's based on the Japanese pronunciation (tee-duh).
"Every single new Final Fantasy game is the one that ruined the franchise forever, and this is obvious the second they announce the title."

User Info: ShadowMadness

ShadowMadness
2 weeks ago#40
94mav98 posted...
ShadowMadness posted...

It's also correct because it's based on the Japanese pronunciation (tee-duh).

Again, I'm allowed to disagree. I don't care how the Japanese tried to pronounce his English name. In English, it only makes sense as Tidus. (Pronounce as spelled)
Robot: Hoe? You are in error. I wield a 'scythe', a tool designed to expedite the reaping process.
(edited 2 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster
  3. So we all concluded it's "Tee-dus", right?