You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster
  3. So we all concluded it's "Tee-dus", right?

User Info: Insensitivity

Insensitivity
3 months ago#1
And what was that Yojumbo overdrive?

User Info: Final_Cataclsym

Final_Cataclsym
3 months ago#2
So we all concluded it's "Tee-dus", right?

No.
A single cash tea box is worth more to Tesshu than the several guards he left bleeding out in front of the castle gate. ~WeirdFetishes

User Info: rpggamer29

rpggamer29
3 months ago#3
Final_Cataclsym posted...
So we all concluded it's "Tee-dus", right?

No.

User Info: Sunburst

Sunburst
3 months ago#4
I refuse to call him that.
A True Friend leaves paw prints on your heart

User Info: Kigalas

Kigalas
3 months ago#5
Tide-us, because water is a theme of the game. And it continues the stupid mc naming conventions they’ve used since VII.
Playing: FF6FCC - Cyan, Shadow, Relm, Umaro; DQVI - Somnia; Rock Band 4 - Expert Guitar lvl 43, 824/1899 played, 708 5+ stars
Up next: DQVII
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: T-dus

T-dus
3 months ago#6
Since making this account, I have come to realize that it's better to call him "Tie-dus".
This is the incorrect pronunciation of the Final Fantasy X protagonist.
People who disagree: 168

User Info: DarkTransient

DarkTransient
3 months ago#7
"Tee-dus" is official, but you're always going to get people who put their own preference above what the creators of the game have declared to be correct.
https://imgtc.com/i/0mboxsZ.png <-- Tiamat is best babe, if you disagree you're objectively wrong.
I just lost the game.

User Info: Fallacia

Fallacia
3 months ago#8
I haven't called him Tide-us in probably 15 years, and I've been using Aerith for over a decade now. When you're willing, it's not that hard to switch pronunciations when you have more facts if you just make an active effort to correct yourself the first few times you fall back into old habits. Some people are just vehemently afraid of change or diverging from their preconceptions.

Kigalas posted...
Tide-us, because water is a theme of the game. And it continues the stupid mc naming conventions they’ve used since VII.

You can call him what you want and this is still a fine personal justification, but it is also accurate to say that the writers don't agree. I don't believe you were claiming it to be official, but I'm a bit too OCD and pedantic to not agree with those that point it out, just in case you thought it was.
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur
Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

User Info: Kigalas

Kigalas
3 months ago#9
I did some searching on the matter, and it turns out that the pronunciation comes from the English translator they first hired for the game.

From the Fandom Wiki:
James Arnold Taylor, Tidus's English voice actor, has told a story of how the English pronunciation of Tidus's name came about: to make an English version of a trailer, Square hired a narrator in Japan, who pronounced the name as Tee-dus, and the producers assumed this was the proper way to say the name in English.
Playing: FF6FCC - Cyan, Shadow, Relm, Umaro; DQVI - Amor; Rock Band 4 - Expert Guitar lvl 43, 824/1899 played, 708 5+ stars
Up next: DQVII

User Info: Fallacia

Fallacia
3 months ago#10
Since his name in Japan wasn't Tidus, but Tida, that would probably say more about a localization choice of how to try and convey a pronunciation of tee-da closer than the romanized spelling would indicate for English speakers. Considering the flap English speakers often use when a D or T is in the middle of a word, they were probably trying to avoid people pronouncing it like "tidd-uh" or "titt-uh" and went with what they thought was an approximation in the spelling of the name. Either way, I imagine that the official pronunciation probably made it easier for the teams in later projects with that being closer to what was being said in Japan than if they had gone with Tide-us.

I look forward to all future proper nouns in video games being spelled in the IPA. :P
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur
Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster
  3. So we all concluded it's "Tee-dus", right?