Plot Issues

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them

User Info: Fenumber1fan

Fenumber1fan
1 month ago#1
Hello everyone! I’m just thinking about it, but what are everyone’s issues with the plot? Genuinely curious, so let’s keep it civil. Also, who do you consider canon pairings, like ChromxSumia, who are generally considered partners. Who do you think Lissa and Olivia end up with?

User Info: ChickenWings

ChickenWings
1 month ago#2
Every possible pairing has its own reasons that they are "canon".

Though, Lissa supports fastest with Vaike and Olivia with Henry.
Nyah.

User Info: Endgame

Endgame
1 month ago#3
-Mystery of the Emblem's entire plot was thrown out the window. The Fire Emblem served an important function and the gemstones had to be kept within it at all costs. It kept Medeus (Perhaps not as strong as Grima, but definitely smarter and dangerous all the same.) from self-resurrecting (100 years) or the seal on the Earth Dragon Tribe (Think thousands of dragons much stronger than Nowi and Nah. A much bigger crisis than Grima.) from breaking. (600 years) Yet here we are 2000 years later, and..... no explanation is given why Archanea hasn't been reduced to ashes.

-Tiki's dragon form doesn't even resemble what it looked like in Marth's games. That warrants an explanation. But we're more likely to get Snoke's backstory at this rate.....

-NO attempt is made to fill ANY gaps whatsoever. All we know is that there is now only three kingdoms on the continent and apparently only Marth's bloodline survived. Albeit in a very sad and sorry state..... although I guess Grima wrecking everything and historical records being lost in the carnage does make a degree of sense.

-Chrom's father doesn't even have a f***ing name. They bothered to tell us Marth's parent's names. (Cornelius and Liza.) They bothered to seemingly name Lissa after Marth's mother. (Remember, her Japanese name is "Liz". So both Lissa and Liz can take after Liza.) Yet one of the most important figures in what little backstory Awakening does provide..... doesn't even have a name.

-Chrom is a bloodthirsty and self-righteous a****** who is only kept from following in Daddy's footsteps by Robin keeping him on a leash. But the writers didn't want to go far enough with this angle so they just turned Chrom into a subtle Gary Stu that's always presented as in the right.

I mean..... really? He decides to subject future generations to the wrath of Grima just so he can keep his super best friend around and NOBODY (not even Nowi, Nah, and Tiki who will still be around) is willing to call Chrom out on it? Everyone just says it's the right choice?

-They didn't want to commit to the whole Ylisse vs Plegia storyline actually being Ylisse's fault and decided to cheapen it by just turning Gangrel into a cartoonish a******. Even though Emmeryn just calling her soldiers back and apparently making no efforts to make reparations to Plegia and pretending nothing happened was a dick move. This is an aspect of the story that had potential. But no. Emmeryn is a sweet and perfect angel whose only crime was being too soft, and Chrom's belligerent stance towards Gangrel was the correct one all along. Because Gangrel is an a******! Never mind that Chrom himself told Robin that Gangrel has all the reason in the world to hate Ylisse..... never mind that he told Robin that his Daddy conscripted farmers to commit Plegian genocide..... only to recruit a farm boy and child soldier shortly afterwards.

And furthermore, they could have explored the possibility that maybe Chrom's father had a point all along since Grima is a very bad guy. But no. Why bother exploring Chrom's father? Why bother exploring ANYTHING in the past? Look guys! It's Rule 63 Marth! She has no relevance past revealing who she is and the only thing flatter than her chest is her personality, but..... love her damn you!
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert

User Info: Endgame

Endgame
1 month ago#4
-The children from a zombie infested post-apocalyptic hellscape all act like the cast of a slice of life comedy high school anime. I mean..... really?

Granted, there is actually a damn good conversation between Inigo and Owain in Harvest Scramble. But..... why aren't there more conversations like that from the second generation characters? And why wasn't that in the base game instead of behind a paywall? Why is Yarne's very legitimate fear of death and thus the extinction of his race played for laughs instead of treated seriously?

-Despite being presented as an important character and as an archetype we rarely see in Japanese video games (a strong black woman), Flavia never amounted to anything. She doesn't even as much as have a backstory.

-While it is true indoctrination is a very real thing and leads to cultists like Validar, perhaps even more psychotic than, he still comes off as a shallow Saturday morning cartoon villain. We're given no reason WHY the Grimleal want Grima to return when it seems Grima will destroy them too. We're shown that the Loptyrians from the Jugdral games got to enjoy great benefits from Loptyr's return: they got to rule the continent and oppress the hell out of everyone else. But Grima? Grima wants to kill everything. Because.....? Well, we actually understand Grima better now. But.....

-Awakening was so terrible at worldbuilding that it took the postgame dungeon of the remake of another game before we finally learned just what the f*** Grima actually is. This is something AWAKENING should have told us.

At least Fates bothered to explain Anankos to us. Even if it was behind a paywall.....

-There is no explanation as to why the Grimleal are summoning Deadlords with Jugdrali divine weapons. This is something that very much needs to be explained. But no. There is no explanation as to how low tier villains like the Grimleal were apparently able to kill f***ing crusaders and jack their weapons. (In case you're unfamiliar with Genealogy of the Holy War..... let's just say someone of a specific bloodline wielding Balmung would receive +20 Spd and +10 Skl while Balmung is boosted to 30 MT. S/He would wipe out the entire Grimleal on his/her own.)

Granted, there is reason to believe Valflame and Helswath were graverobbed. (The last people capable of wielding them at full power were wiped out as of Genealogy's ending. Well, last KNOWN people. I don't think it's established Saias ever went public with his heritage let alone took up Valflame.)

-Walhart is actually one of the brighter spots of Awakening. Which..... says a lot about how badly Awakening dropped the ball.

But hey, the writing is still better than Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, and Fates.....
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert

User Info: Fenumber1fan

Fenumber1fan
1 month ago#5
I actually appreciate how thorough you were in you answer Endgame. I'm about to start another playthrough, and I'm going to look for all of what you pointed out.

User Info: godzillahomer

godzillahomer
1 month ago#6
Endgame posted...
-Mystery of the Emblem's entire plot was thrown out the window. The Fire Emblem served an important function and the gemstones had to be kept within it at all costs. It kept Medeus (Perhaps not as strong as Grima, but definitely smarter and dangerous all the same.) from self-resurrecting (100 years) or the seal on the Earth Dragon Tribe (Think thousands of dragons much stronger than Nowi and Nah. A much bigger crisis than Grima.) from breaking. (600 years) Yet here we are 2000 years later, and..... no explanation is given why Archanea hasn't been reduced to ashes.

-Tiki's dragon form doesn't even resemble what it looked like in Marth's games. That warrants an explanation. But we're more likely to get Snoke's backstory at this rate.....

-NO attempt is made to fill ANY gaps whatsoever. All we know is that there is now only three kingdoms on the continent and apparently only Marth's bloodline survived. Albeit in a very sad and sorry state..... although I guess Grima wrecking everything and historical records being lost in the carnage does make a degree of sense.

-Chrom's father doesn't even have a f***ing name. They bothered to tell us Marth's parent's names. (Cornelius and Liza.) They bothered to seemingly name Lissa after Marth's mother. (Remember, her Japanese name is "Liz". So both Lissa and Liz can take after Liza.) Yet one of the most important figures in what little backstory Awakening does provide..... doesn't even have a name.

-Chrom is a bloodthirsty and self-righteous a****** who is only kept from following in Daddy's footsteps by Robin keeping him on a leash. But the writers didn't want to go far enough with this angle so they just turned Chrom into a subtle Gary Stu that's always presented as in the right.

I mean..... really? He decides to subject future generations to the wrath of Grima just so he can keep his super best friend around and NOBODY (not even Nowi, Nah, and Tiki who will still be around) is willing to call Chrom out on it? Everyone just says it's the right choice?

-They didn't want to commit to the whole Ylisse vs Plegia storyline actually being Ylisse's fault and decided to cheapen it by just turning Gangrel into a cartoonish a******. Even though Emmeryn just calling her soldiers back and apparently making no efforts to make reparations to Plegia and pretending nothing happened was a dick move. This is an aspect of the story that had potential. But no. Emmeryn is a sweet and perfect angel whose only crime was being too soft, and Chrom's belligerent stance towards Gangrel was the correct one all along. Because Gangrel is an a******! Never mind that Chrom himself told Robin that Gangrel has all the reason in the world to hate Ylisse..... never mind that he told Robin that his Daddy conscripted farmers to commit Plegian genocide..... only to recruit a farm boy and child soldier shortly afterwards.

And furthermore, they could have explored the possibility that maybe Chrom's father had a point all along since Grima is a very bad guy. But no. Why bother exploring Chrom's father? Why bother exploring ANYTHING in the past? Look guys! It's Rule 63 Marth! She has no relevance past revealing who she is and the only thing flatter than her chest is her personality, but..... love her damn you!

-Used to think Grima was related the the Earth Dragons, but Echoes sunk that theory

-Different dragonstones?

-Some of Marth's companions are mentioned, Sully mentions Cain and Abel; Cherche named her Wyvern after Minerva

-Yeah, maybe he should have had a name

-And I'm not much better, I win by Rout even when I can spare the enemy by beating the boss; if I was rewarded for sparing the enemies, perhaps I would

-Technically said farm boy is optional, but point

-GF text limits are annoying
3DS FC: 1134-7195-2851

User Info: ChickenWings

ChickenWings
1 month ago#7
Donnel WANTED to join the Shepherds...
Nyah.

User Info: godzillahomer

godzillahomer
1 month ago#8
Endgame posted...
-The children from a zombie infested post-apocalyptic hellscape all act like the cast of a slice of life comedy high school anime. I mean..... really?

Granted, there is actually a damn good conversation between Inigo and Owain in Harvest Scramble. But..... why aren't there more conversations like that from the second generation characters? And why wasn't that in the base game instead of behind a paywall? Why is Yarne's very legitimate fear of death and thus the extinction of his race played for laughs instead of treated seriously?

-Despite being presented as an important character and as an archetype we rarely see in Japanese video games (a strong black woman), Flavia never amounted to anything. She doesn't even as much as have a backstory.

-While it is true indoctrination is a very real thing and leads to cultists like Validar, perhaps even more psychotic than, he still comes off as a shallow Saturday morning cartoon villain. We're given no reason WHY the Grimleal want Grima to return when it seems Grima will destroy them too. We're shown that the Loptyrians from the Jugdral games got to enjoy great benefits from Loptyr's return: they got to rule the continent and oppress the hell out of everyone else. But Grima? Grima wants to kill everything. Because.....? Well, we actually understand Grima better now. But.....

-Awakening was so terrible at worldbuilding that it took the postgame dungeon of the remake of another game before we finally learned just what the f*** Grima actually is. This is something AWAKENING should have told us.

At least Fates bothered to explain Anankos to us. Even if it was behind a paywall.....

-There is no explanation as to why the Grimleal are summoning Deadlords with Jugdrali divine weapons. This is something that very much needs to be explained. But no. There is no explanation as to how low tier villains like the Grimleal were apparently able to kill f***ing crusaders and jack their weapons. (In case you're unfamiliar with Genealogy of the Holy War..... let's just say someone of a specific bloodline wielding Balmung would receive +20 Spd and +10 Skl while Balmung is boosted to 30 MT. S/He would wipe out the entire Grimleal on his/her own.)

Granted, there is reason to believe Valflame and Helswath were graverobbed. (The last people capable of wielding them at full power were wiped out as of Genealogy's ending. Well, last KNOWN people. I don't think it's established Saias ever went public with his heritage let alone took up Valflame.)

-Walhart is actually one of the brighter spots of Awakening. Which..... says a lot about how badly Awakening dropped the ball.

But hey, the writing is still better than Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, and Fates.....

-The kids, I can accept their quirks being trauma based, but some are weaker than others

-Same can be said for Say-ri, Basilio, Anna, Tiki, the 6 Spotpass Chapter recruits, etc.

-Perhaps the Grimel doesn't know Grima's true intent or their reward is dying first; but still, weak writting

-YES.

-Dreadlords should have related to the plot, Phila for example could have came back as a dreadlord

-Yes, Walhart can be quite glorious
3DS FC: 1134-7195-2851

User Info: orig4mi

orig4mi
1 month ago#9
Another ridiculous and dumb comment to trash an amazing game. Oh Endgame, never change. Your stupidly huge ego is exactly what this board needed to go full returd and it has been ever since.
Gen V Defense Squad ~ ~ http://i.imgur.com/FjBjwcs.gif

User Info: Airship_Canon

Airship_Canon
1 month ago#10
godzillahomer posted...

-Used to think Grima was related the the Earth Dragons, but Echoes sunk that theory

It was said in Knights of Iris that Grima was connected to the Earth Dragons.

Echoes created the issue, but lol Echoes writing. Seriously, if it was not a Support, and it was new to Echoes and wasn't in Gaiden, it sucked ass.

Also, Tiki's thing is definitely due to different Dragonstone.
Tiki takes on different forms based on which Dragonstone she was using.

Tiki didn't have manakete abilities [because she does not have her power] until she communes with Naga to reclaim her power. SHE PULLED A GOTOH. The Divinestone is gone.

Nowi and Nah are NOT Divines. Tiki is the last Divine Dragon.
Tiki uses the same kind of Dragonstone as Nowi and Nah. ...no s***, since she takes on different forms based on her Dragonstone, she'd look like them.
http://i.imgur.com/0GZFPf1.gif

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived