Ending Thoughts for romance *spoilers*

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Awakening
  3. Ending Thoughts for romance *spoilers*

User Info: cramp22

cramp22
3 months ago#1
So I finally finished the Endgame in Awakening, and honestly, this was one of the best games I've ever played, certainly the best as far as 3DS games go. It was just so damn fun and engaging every step of the way. Sometimes when I finish a game, it's so good that I actually feel moderately depressed for the next couple days with it being over. Last time I felt that was after finishing Witcher 3, but now this game is making me feel it again. It was that good.

With that being said, the ending came off as a bit lackluster to me. Don't get me wrong, the leadup was very good. The scene where you sacrifice yourself and disappear had me shedding manly tears for sure. But some parts just felt a bit off to me, mainly the conclusion of your love interest. Throughout the game, one of the bigger (although optional) stories of your character was who you went after and decided to marry via the support system.

For example, my romance option for the game was Lucina. I'm aware she gets a lot of flak because people say she's boring yet everyone seems to choose her, but I really feel that she's one of the games best characters and (in my opinion) the best male romance option. I really liked her supports, as I thought they really nailed the feeling of her and Robin slowly falling in love with each other. Her hot springs scramble convos really showed off the deep love that she and Robin felt for one another, and her scene in chapter 21 was genuinely heartbreaking. I honestly felt happy that they had such a loving romance throughout the game. So with that being said, I thought it upsetting that there wasn't even a goodbye scene for them before Robin sacrificed himself, nor a reunion scene for when it's revealed he survived. From my understanding, this is the same for every wife/husband in the game, so this basically applies to anyone who played the game and had a romance. I mean there was literally nothing. After all the struggled you've been through with your significant other, not even a "Goodbye. I love you.". You just talk to Chrom and f***ing die. And even though their ending seems to state that they stayed together, which gives me some closure, I felt like the endgame was seriously lacking here. Not to sound like an emotional b****, but it sorta just left me with a feeling of sadness and incompletion .

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that this makes the game a bad game. As I said earlier, I thought it was amazing. But I also thought it was just really upsetting that Robin and Lucina (or whoever you picked, same thing) couldn't share one final moment together to cap off their story in this great game. Thoughts?

User Info: Airship_Canon

Airship_Canon
3 months ago#2
Have you tried not picking the s***ty ending that shouldn't exist?

There is a special line for Robin's spouse if you pick Chrom's ending.
(Number #123 on list of reasons why Robin's ending is trash)
http://i.imgur.com/0GZFPf1.gif

cramp22
3 months ago#3
Airship_Canon posted...

Wait, so you mean if you have Chrom kill Grima instead, you'll have some sort of convo with your spouse?

User Info: James_Finn

James_Finn
3 months ago#4
cramp22 posted...
Airship_Canon posted...

Wait, so you mean if you have Chrom kill Grima instead, you'll have some sort of convo with your spouse?

Yes, your spouse and your child(ren) will say a special line to your avatar.

User Info: MrPerson01

MrPerson01
3 months ago#5
Airship_Canon posted...

That ending would be much better if the Avatar stayed dead, and we saw the thoughts of their spouse/children during reconstruction.

cramp22
3 months ago#6
James_Finn posted...
cramp22 posted...
Airship_Canon posted...

Yes, your spouse and your child(ren) will say a special line to your avatar.

Well I'm definately gunna have to go try that one out then. Still, it's annoying that you can't get that in the ending where you literally sacrifice yourself for everyone lol.

MrPerson01 posted...
Airship_Canon posted...

That ending would be much better if the Avatar stayed dead, and we saw the thoughts of their spouse/children during reconstruction.

Eh I disagree, it'd certainly be more realistic, but I'm a sucker for happier endings.

User Info: killerlol702

killerlol702
3 months ago#7
These games were always more about friendship than actually romance. I understand this statement will lead to arguements but I'm just leave it at friendship is not romance to avoid it.

User Info: MalcolmMasher

MalcolmMasher
3 months ago#8
But I also thought it was just really upsetting that Robin and Lucina (or whoever you picked, same thing) couldn't share one final moment together to cap off their story in this great game. Thoughts?

I'd have liked a few more dialogue checks for Robin/Chrom's relatives, yeah.

Allow me to loosely agree with both of these. Awakening should have either enacted more of a distinction between the two endings (specifically, "Avatar stays dead") or skipped the pretense of a choice.
I don't like this duchy. Now, it's an adventurer.

cramp22
3 months ago#9
killerlol702 posted...
These games were always more about friendship than actually romance. I understand this statement will lead to arguements but I'm just leave it at friendship is not romance to avoid it.

I sort of agree with you, but even so, since romance is an option in the game that most people take advantage of, I think it should've been highlighted in the ending. And if you don't want that, then you just don't have to romance anyone. Plus, even if we're just talking about friends, you don't really get to say your goodbyes to them either, only Chrom.

cramp22
3 months ago#10
Yeah Malcolm, I think there just should've been more dialogue checks in general. Specifically with your best friends (like the ones you have A supports of) and, of coarse, whoever you chose as your spouse.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Awakening
  3. Ending Thoughts for romance *spoilers*

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived