Promote/reclass at level 20, or earlier?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Awakening
  3. Promote/reclass at level 20, or earlier?

User Info: JohnJSal

JohnJSal
5 months ago#1
I'm reading a little about this, but I don't understand it fully because I don't know how this works in the game yet. But I'm seeing both opinions -- wait until level 20 to promote or reclass, and others are saying this isn't good (anymore?) and you should do it as soon as you get the skills you want from your current class.

Can someone give a beginner's explanation for how this all works, and if it's good to wait or do it earlier?

Thanks!

User Info: blueruler

blueruler
5 months ago#2
Waiting till 20 will always be the go to answer for maximum stat gains in every FE, except valentia which gets weird with its predictive promotional gains.

Now if youre capped and only want a very specific skill and are essentially skill grinding for a perfect unit then yeah, reclass as soon as you get what you want
Without Inspiration We Are Nothing More Than Statues.
PSN: Tartaruga__

User Info: sundaisies

sundaisies
5 months ago#3
JohnJSal posted...
I'm reading a little about this, but I don't understand it fully because I don't know how this works in the game yet. But I'm seeing both opinions -- wait until level 20 to promote or reclass, and others are saying this isn't good (anymore?) and you should do it as soon as you get the skills you want from your current class.

Can someone give a beginner's explanation for how this all works, and if it's good to wait or do it earlier?

Thanks!

okay - this is what i've gathered

if you go to level 20 (or 30 for special classes), you get the stats cap for where you are.
but for me right now, now that most of my strongest team is powered up, I am just bouncing around using Second Seals after i get the skill, and i am not losing too much statistically. (but for some of the players where I know that I want them JUST to be what they are, I just max out at 20, and start all over again)

So it's basically a choose your own adventure.
feel free to add me as a friend - I'll add you back:
FC: 5258-4209-4545, SW - 8571 - 8545 - 1218

User Info: Shadowstalker7

Shadowstalker7
5 months ago#4
Assuming this is for higher difficulties or a postgame file, the most efficient time to promote is level 20. Being promoted one counts as being level 21 whether you promoted at 10 or 20, so you'd better have the stats to back it up, because your EXP gain is going to be hosed for a while.

Making a call on reclassing is a bit more complicated. Early on, Second Seals are somewhat rare, so waiting until 20 is often viable/desirable. However, each character has a hidden internal level and every time you reclass, it adds half of your current level to that. This internal level is then added to the calculation for EXP gain, quickly causing a sharp fall-off if you reclass at nothing but 20. Therefore, once a Second Seal shop opens up (C16 or a couple of the Paralogues), you want to reclass at 10/15 if possible (depending on if promoted and if you want that second skill badly enough). Of course, don't change classes just for the sake of reclassing. If you don't need any further skills and the current class works, just stick with it (Second Seals can be used at 20 to reset the current class's level to 1).

JohnJSal
5 months ago#5
Hmm, I don't really understand half of what you guys are talking about. Not sure about "stat caps" and what it means for XP to "fall off," etc.

I plan to play on Normal/Casual, just to have fun playing the game. I know I won't need to min/max at this difficulty, but I still don't want to mess up my units. I'm just trying to get a basic understanding of how this all works before I start.

User Info: XylonTheManaket

XylonTheManaket
5 months ago#6
Promote at level 10 for unpromoted classes, and reset/reclass at level 15 for promoted classes.
I am fire. I am... death. -Smaug

Shadowstalker7
5 months ago#7
JohnJSal posted...
Hmm, I don't really understand half of what you guys are talking about. Not sure about "stat caps" and what it means for XP to "fall off," etc.

I plan to play on Normal/Casual, just to have fun playing the game. I know I won't need to min/max at this difficulty, but I still don't want to mess up my units. I'm just trying to get a basic understanding of how this all works before I start.

For Normal, there's really no way to mess up your units, as far as making them unviable or whatever. If you're a skill collector or something like that, then definitely reclass early.

The basic rundown for stat caps is that every class has a maximum number that a stat can reach. This varies a little because characters make individual personal adjustments, but for the most part, it won't make a difference on Normal.

EXP falls off meaning that the gain drops by a lot, making getting more levels or skills a bit of a pain, even on Normal. EXP gain is calculated based on the difference between your level and the enemy's level, with promoted units being counted as their level plus 20. For characters who have reclassed, it also essentially adds half of their previous classes' levels to the calculation. Basically, let's say you have a Robin who is level 20 promoted. With no previous reclasses, the game will count her as level 40. If she reclassed at level 10, the game adds 5 of those levels, counting her as level 45. If you reclassed at level 20, the game adds 10 of those levels, counting her as level 50. If she reclassed twice at level 20, the game adds 20 of those levels, counting her as level 60. When the highest level enemies in the game are 20 promoted (counting as 40) and the game counts you as level 60, your EXP gain is going to be very poor.

JohnJSal
5 months ago#8
Thank you for that explanation! I'll try not to get too bogged down if it won't be a big deal on Normal. Perhaps the promote at 10, reclass at 15 method might work for me.

Now to figure out what classes to pick for everyone! :)

User Info: sundaisies

sundaisies
5 months ago#9
JohnJSal posted...
Thank you for that explanation! I'll try not to get too bogged down if it won't be a big deal on Normal. Perhaps the promote at 10, reclass at 15 method might work for me.

Now to figure out what classes to pick for everyone! :)

Dark Fliers for everyone eligible (pegasus classes)
assassins and snipers
a few paladins :D

and then have fun with the rest.
with one character, I boosted him until level 15 turned him from Knight to Thief, then Thief to assassin, then assassin to General. so now i have a lock-picking tank of a character who can trigger a lot of his specials at will because his luck is so high.
feel free to add me as a friend - I'll add you back:
FC: 5258-4209-4545, SW - 8571 - 8545 - 1218

Shadowstalker7
5 months ago#10
Special skills are generally based off of Skill, not Luck. There are three exceptions: Armsthrift, Despoil and Miracle.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Awakening
  3. Promote/reclass at level 20, or earlier?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived