• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Indigoyeti

Indigoyeti
5 years ago#21
CranberryPSO posted...
While there is a social element to Dragon Quest X, you frequently see people playing alone in parties of COMs.

Do you mind elaborating what COMs are? I've been hunting for gameplay info about DQX but it's surprisingly scarce. Also, how long are the game's dungeons? I couldn't tolerate Warcraft's hours long dungeons.

User Info: CranberryPSO

CranberryPSO
5 years ago#22
You can hire NPCs to be temporary party members. The neat thing about this is the NPCs are the characters of other players. You can hire anyone that at or below the highest level you've reached (so if you're a level 40 Warrior, and then switch to a level 1 Mage, you can still hire NPCs up to level 40). People on your friend list you can hire for free. People that aren't on your friend list can be hired for a gold fee based on their current level. You can hire someone for 12, 24, or 48 hours.

The neat thing about hiring people, you'll earn them gold and experience points while you use them. You can hire anyone that has made themselves available that is not currently logged in. If someone is logged in they won't appear on the list, but their NPC also won't be booted out of your party if they log in while you're using them. I've actually been in parties before with my own NPC!

The same applies for you too. If you allow your character to be hired when you log off, the next time you log in you'll receive the gold and EXP others earned you from using you while you were gone.

Dungeon length can vary, but they usually are not particularly long. An hour or so is usually long enough for most dungeons. It obviously depends on how strong your party is and what level you are when you go.

Indigoyeti posted...
CranberryPSO posted...
While there is a social element to Dragon Quest X, you frequently see people playing alone in parties of COMs.

Do you mind elaborating what COMs are? I've been hunting for gameplay info about DQX but it's surprisingly scarce. Also, how long are the game's dungeons? I couldn't tolerate Warcraft's hours long dungeons.
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 3

User Info: Indigoyeti

Indigoyeti
5 years ago#23
Wow, thanks! I have another question though: you start out as a human and then choose one of the five races. Later, there's a quest to turn human back. Do you have to turn back to human? I'd rather play with the race I've gotten attached to.

CranberryPSO
5 years ago#24
In order to advance the story, you have to regain your human form. However. once you regain your human form you can switch between human and the other race by visiting a church.

Currently there is only one area where you are required to be in your human form. Aside from this one area, you can stick to the race you chose if you want to.

So in short: 99% of the game you can be your race. 1% of the game you have to be human.

User Info: Puddingchan

Puddingchan
5 years ago#25
Very simple for people who don't like MMORPG. If you just don't like it, skip it and wait for the next game. It's unlikely that they will be making another of this because it is too time-consuming, and even if they did, it will be an upgrade to this version.
My FC : 3496 9827 6089
Rock safari, nosepass corsola shuckle

User Info: Trailblazer34

Trailblazer34
5 years ago#26
Well well well. The dqx defence force leapt to this game's defence. Predictable. And how many of you will remember this shoddy excuse for a piece of entertainment in a year? Absolutely none of you.

I don't take back a single word. This game is an abomination.

User Info: behindtheword

behindtheword
5 years ago#27
Trailblazer34 posted...
Well well well. The dqx defence force leapt to this game's defence. Predictable. And how many of you will remember this shoddy excuse for a piece of entertainment in a year? Absolutely none of you.

You know, I almost pity you. I've been looking forward to an MMO with a DQ theme ever since Horii mentioned wanting to make one. I consider it a blessing to be able to experience my favourite series with other people who I know for sure like it. Most MMO's I play...few have even heard of Dragon Quest. So, now that one is out, and it may well come to the US, and I'm going to forget it? I don't think so. =p
FAQ status - DW3 GBC (85%), DQ4 DS (2%), DQ5 DS (20%), DQ6 DS (95.5%), DQ7 3DS (5%), FF4 DS (40%)
Solution for Gamers by Gamers http://save-nintendo-wifi.com/

User Info: Trailblazer34

Trailblazer34
5 years ago#28
behindtheword posted...
Trailblazer34 posted...

You know, I almost pity you. I've been looking forward to an MMO with a DQ theme ever since Horii mentioned wanting to make one. I consider it a blessing to be able to experience my favourite series with other people who I know for sure like it. Most MMO's I play...few have even heard of Dragon Quest. So, now that one is out, and it may well come to the US, and I'm going to forget it? I don't think so. =p

What are you even saying? Jeez, it's like they aren't even trying anymore. The bottom line is, a dragon quest mmo is like a pg13 robocop, it is just fundamentally wrong.

User Info: behindtheword

behindtheword
5 years ago#29
Exactly how is it fundamentally wrong? There has been a plan for a DQ MMO since about 2001, when a lot of companies were looking into online game opportunities, and even Square was exploring Final Fantasy in an online setting to get into this burgeoning market. Afterall games like Diablo II were quite popular online, and a few MMO's were already established.

Dragon Quest has constantly altered, changed, adapted, created new content, and progressed. It's been slower than most series by a substantial margin, but there is a rather clear progression on every level. From experimentation with class systems, to story complexity, to sidequest complexity, to post-game content expansion, to the element and resistance systems, to weapon and armour attributes, and so on and so forth. Even graphically the series has seen a gradual progression, though arguably DQ3 NES was a step beckwards from DQ2 NES, this is the only instance where on the same system, a newer game had blockier and less appealing graphics. The sound has actually expanded. While Sugiyama still records in midi form, he's vastly increased the channels and number of various instruments his music uses.

Consider this fact. Do you like Dragon Quest? Do you like the idea of possibly playing Dragon Quest with other players who also like Dragon Quest?

If you can say yes to this. Would you have felt better about the game had it been titled "Dragon Quest Online" and we were given a separate "Dragon Quest X" as a single-player only game on some console (home or handheld, whatever your preference may be)?

Considering the above questions, consider this, if you like Dragon Quest, and you would like a sense of community as in be able to experience and share Dragon Quest with other like-minded gamers, and perhaps would have felt more agreeable to the naming of the game as Dragon Quest Online, then take it a step further. Why not then ask two questions. 1) What is the purpose for choosing Dragon Quest X as the title for the online game? Not just in light of using the name, but the clear indication of the focus this title would receive and therefor the quality assurance. 2) What am I really angry at? Horii wanted to make a Dragon Quest Online for YEARS. That means he would be indisposed at the time of development from making what you would prefer was Dragon Quest X, an offline Dragon Quest, which means we wouldn't even be hearing about this desired Dragon Quest X until the same point in time we end up hearing about Dragon Quest XI in this real world.

Just consider that.
FAQ status - DW3 GBC (85%), DQ4 DS (2%), DQ5 DS (20%), DQ6 DS (95.5%), DQ7 3DS (5%), FF4 DS (40%)
Solution for Gamers by Gamers http://save-nintendo-wifi.com/

CranberryPSO
5 years ago#30
It's crystal clear that Trailblazer has never actually played the game and is just echoing other people that have never actually played it but find the idea of it being online a turn-off.

Trailblazer, I have no invested interest in trying to change your mind. If you have questions about the game, want to see recordings of it, or just want a general idea of how things work on it, I can provide you with that. I'm actiely playing the game and I'm more than capable of recording it and doing demonstrations.

I don't really feel compelled to argue with you about a game that you know nothing about though.
  • Topic Archived