• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 4 Golden
  3. The Reaper Explained - Findings on Reaper spawn

User Info: Kusker

Kusker
4 years ago#1
Know I'm a bit late but thought I'd be productive and contribute my findings.

So you've gotten OP in this game, and want to start grinding on the Reaper? Read the Reaper Grinding guides and still don't know what's up?

Well this is the post for you. After poring through the Reaper forums and doing a few experiments of my own, I've got a basic handle on the mechanics on how a Reaper spawns. This isn't meant to be a guide; it only supplements what you've read about how to grind for the Reaper.

I've outlined what will and won't reset the Reaper spawn as follows:

What won't reset the spawn:
-moving between floors (or dungeons) before the 21st chest:
this means any chests BEFORE your 21st can come from ANY floors, ANY dungeon
-killing shadows before the 21st chest:
this may seem like a weird condition but I'll explain below; otherwise it's safe to kill any Shadows before your 21st without fear of resetting your Chest counter*
-opening a Golden Chest before the 21st chest:
so by now you should've encountered shadows in some chests; those chests are where the Reaper will actually spawn. After opening your 21st chest, any (possibly all) chests on your current floor that has a Shadow in them will turn into a Reaper chest. This means if you want to spawn a Reaper, it WON'T be in the chest that will ABSOLUTELY give you an item (namely, Golden Chests)

What will reset the spawn:
-cancelling the opening of your Reaper chest once you DO encounter it, then get into a Shadow fight:
if you do so, the reaper won't actually despawn - you'll still hear it the chains. This means the Reaper is STILL on your floor. HOWEVER, the chest you gave up on opening will then reset into a normal item chest, and you'd then have to track down the next chest on your current floor that MIGHT be a Shadow chest (which takes a lot of luck - you generally won't know which one it is if there are multiple chests on the current floor). Thus, if you went ahead and opened the chest you gave up on, the Reaper won't be there and the chest counter will be reset to 0.
-exiting the floor the Reaper chain sounds are on:
when you've heard the chains, it means you've opened your 21st chest, and so leaving the floor THEN does reset the chest counter to 0
-opening a non-shadow chest as the 22nd chest:
as outlined before, Shadow chests will turn into Reaper chests after you open the 21st chest - this means the chances are high that you'll pick a Shadow chest IF you know there's ALWAYS at least ONE Shadow chest that'll spawn on a specific floor. Case in point, the 5th floor of Yukiko's castle will ALWAYS spawn one Shadow chest, but it could be any one of the (I think 3) chests that spawn on that floor.
-Switching party members during your chest-opening process:
yes, after I opened my 20th chest I tried to switch out party members 'cuz I wanted freaking Yosuke to get an item instead of Kanji. Turns out, I come back to the floor I was on to open the 21st chest, and I couldn't hear ANY chains, no matter how long I waited. This means that the counter DOES reset if you switch out party members AT ANY TIME during your hunt.

*Chest counter, for clarification, is the counter in the game that counts how many chests you've opened until you encounter the Reaper.

**Shout out to members Pulse and wilfreda for providing most of the info throughout the forum.

***ALRIGHT ALRIGHT the actual Reaper grinding guide can be found here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/641695-persona-4-golden/65059128

User Info: Carryduffp

Carryduffp
4 years ago#2
A lot of effort was put into this. I'm sure it will be very helpful

User Info: DrRukesl

DrRukesl
4 years ago#3
Pretty interesting, nice work bro
Gamertag: tongshadow

User Info: AcidArmor

AcidArmor
4 years ago#4
Im having some problems and i was wondering if you can help. Im playing persona 4 golden my first time and I am trying to find the reaper in yukikos castle. The thing is I dont do any of those things so I know my counts not starting over but for some reason after I open my 20th chest, leave and go back to the hub to save then come back and open my 21st the chain noises dont start. This has happened about 12 times now. Once I opened a trap chest anyway to see what would happen and a regular shadow appeared. Please get back to me ASAP. Thanks in advance.

Carryduffp
4 years ago#5
AcidArmor posted...
Im having some problems and i was wondering if you can help. Im playing persona 4 golden my first time and I am trying to find the reaper in yukikos castle. The thing is I dont do any of those things so I know my counts not starting over but for some reason after I open my 20th chest, leave and go back to the hub to save then come back and open my 21st the chain noises dont start. This has happened about 12 times now. Once I opened a trap chest anyway to see what would happen and a regular shadow appeared. Please get back to me ASAP. Thanks in advance.

The TC hasn't been online since he posted this.

This may be of no use to you but don't use Go-hom's (whatever they're called) when leaving the first floor. Always exit by going down the floor. Do the first floor five times. Leave the way you had been doing previously, save, and then go to floor 5 (make sure it is the floor you can go to just by going to the entrance). Then just open the next two chests. The Reaper does not always appear, luck is also involved in some way.

User Info: soulgrunt

soulgrunt
4 years ago#6
AcidArmor posted...

It is probably best to start over. once you hear the reaper chains go ahead and reset it by leaving the floor so you know that the counter is at 0. open 4 chests on the first floor of yukiko's castle, no more no less, and repeat it 5 times, save and go the 5th floor and open a chest and hear the chains, if not reload.
(message deleted)

User Info: MariaAlteration

MariaAlteration
4 years ago#8
Curious, do reaper items transfer in NG+?

Carryduffp
4 years ago#9
MariaAlteration posted...
Curious, do reaper items transfer in NG+?

No, you need to get them all again
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 4 Golden
  3. The Reaper Explained - Findings on Reaper spawn
  • Topic Archived