• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 4 Golden
  3. Never played a Persona game. Which one to start with?

User Info: Coconut_Lube

Coconut_Lube
7 years ago#1
tell me

User Info: Strain42

Strain42
7 years ago#2
Most people start with 3, and that's not a bad place to start.

The thing to remember about the series is that 1 and 2 play very differently, to the point where they almost don't even feel like the same series.

While you'd think the best way to go would be to start from 1 and just play through, a lot of people find 1 to be...well...awful, and suggest playing it more out of genuine interest, rather than an actual desire to complete the series.

You could start with 4 first, but starting with 4 means if you go back to 3, you'll have to try and get used to the stuff you may have grown accustomed to with 4 is no longer in 3. Plus while the stories aren't really connected, there are a few jokes and references that will make more sense if you play 3 first.

2 is known for having a really good story, but mediocre gameplay. It's also the one in the series that plays closest to a normal JRPG, so if you're new to MegaTen in general, I might suggest 2. Thing to remember is that 2 is actually two games (Innocent Sin which is available now for the PSP and Eternal Punishment which is on the PSX, but was recently announced for a PSP port and we'll probably get it soon)

Soo...I guess...

tl;dr version: I would suggest either 2 or 3. Both are decent places to jump in, but you just need to remember that they don't really play the same.

Hope this helps some.
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/

User Info: Tayo2345

Tayo2345
7 years ago#3
I'd say 3 is probably the best place to start, since if you're playing P3 Vanilla or P3 FES then you can only control the main character.

All the other Persona games (as far as I know), including Persona 3 Portable, give you control over your entire party, which is a HUGE step up in almost everybody's opinion.
I don't care what you say, Generation II sucks.
That's just my opinion, no matter how true it may be.

User Info: HermanTuttle

HermanTuttle
7 years ago#4
The Persona 2 games are a much better primer to the series than 3. Better story, no random dungeons, demon conversations, less restrictive battle system, and all the non-cutscene dialogue is optional.

User Info: DrakoVongola1

DrakoVongola1
7 years ago#5
HermanTuttle posted...
The Persona 2 games are a much better primer to the series than 3. Better story, no random dungeons, demon conversations, less restrictive battle system, and all the non-cutscene dialogue is optional.

I've read that P2 is actually pretty bad, and I've heard it from a lot of people. The negativity surrounding it is the only thing keeping me from trying out Innocent Sin on the PSP.

I'd say start with P3: FES, if you start with 4 it's going to be pretty difficult to adjust to P3 because you can only directly control the protagonist and there's no block button.
(You can give basic orders to other party members, like tell them to heal or go for weaknesses, etc.). If you get P3P for the PSP you can control your party members and block, but you won't get the full story because only FES has The Answer (An epilogue that tells what happens I think 2 months after the ending).
I hate religion, but I love Jesus.
Official leader of the Illuminati.

User Info: HermanTuttle

HermanTuttle
7 years ago#6

I've read that P2 is actually pretty bad, and I've heard it from a lot of people. The negativity surrounding it is the only thing keeping me from trying out Innocent Sin on the PSP.

You've heard. I've played.

Anyone who says P2 is "pretty bad" either has terrible taste, or P3/4 was their introduction to the SMT franchise. Or both.

User Info: DrakoVongola1

DrakoVongola1
7 years ago#7
HermanTuttle posted...

You've heard. I've played.

Anyone who says P2 is "pretty bad" either has terrible taste, or P3/4 was their introduction to the SMT franchise. Or both.

I'm not saying your opinion is any less valid than anyone else's or anything, but that's what it is, an opinion, and you're one of the very few I've seen with a positive one.
I hate religion, but I love Jesus.
Official leader of the Illuminati.

Strain42
7 years ago#8
Better story, no random dungeons, demon conversations, less restrictive battle system, and all the non-cutscene dialogue is optional.

-Opinion
-I'll take the random dungeon floors that only take about 30 seconds to a minute to get through with it being possible to not even fight anything over the pointlessly giant sprawling floors of P2 that throw you into battle every 5 seconds
-Demon conversations are more often than not just boring tedious cases of trial and error (thankfully they're pretty much entirely optional)
-I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that one
-and P3/4 let you breeze through all dialogue by holding down a button (and P4:G supposedly lets you skip whole scenes by pressing start) but I'm not sure what you mean by this one either. Did any of the P2 versions so far just let you skip stuff? (actually asking, I never tested for myself)

Don't get me wrong, despite what I just said, TC and Drako, I recommend P2 (especially the PSP versions, VASTLY improved over the PSX ones) Like I said, I think both it and 3 are both good and acceptable entryways into the series. But because the games are very different, there will be some conflicting opinions.

Basically, gameplay wise P2 is a fairly mediocre title that sometimes gets a bit tedious, but it's one of the few games where the story and characters are so good that it almost doesn't matter.

But yes, it's a good title. I recommend it.
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/

User Info: FScell

FScell
7 years ago#9
Persona 2 is an awful video game. It was an awful video game when it was released, and when I first played it, and age has not done it any favors.

That being said I would still recommend playing it for the story, as that part of it is really good.

Also Demon Conversations are the single worst thing featured in this entire franchise.
Would have liked to run tests on the sea shells.

Strain42
7 years ago#10
King Abaddon is the only MegaTen game I've played so far where I think negotiation worked pretty well (but I still don't like how much of it is just based on luck.) but I liked that your demons were actually part of it.

Can't tell you how many times my butt has been saved because I had a sexy female demon to flirt and help calm them down lol

But yeah like...if the demon asks you to massage their shoulders, your options are "massage gently" or "massage firmly" and there is no right answer. Sometimes the exact same demon will tell you to put a bit more oomph into it or tell you you're being too rough.

Demon negotiation in Persona though is basically "find one of your conversation options that doesn't piss them off, and do it until they give you what you want." that's it. Aside from them popping in with the occasional question (which I believe often has the same "no real right answer" thing) it's not much more than that.

Like I said though, thankfully it's mostly optional.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 4 Golden
  3. Never played a Persona game. Which one to start with?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers