• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Borderlands 2
  3. New to this game

User Info: crimsontide1980

crimsontide1980
9 months ago#1
So I know I'm extremely late to the party,but my son and I just started playing this game on couch coop(splitscreen) mode,I remember renting the first Borderlands but not being too crazy about it. I downloaded this a while back when it was free with Gold and we finally got around to playing it a few nights ago.

So far we love it,but we've absolutely been getting our asses kicked by the A.I. I love a good challenge and all but our issue seems to be we are constantly outgunned;the enemy always seems to have badass firearms and all we have is pistols,and we always seem to be running out of ammo at the worst possible times.

Would any of you guys be kind enough to give a couple Noobs some tips to get started? We're not far into the campaign at all,I think we just got to the part in the snowy mountains where we had to bail out Clap Trap. Like,where do we go or look for some assault rifles or SMGs? Pistols are cool and all but its rough when that's all we have in our backpacks. Been looking thru the ammo dispensers or whatever you call them,the little gun depots,whatever the money sign is on the map. Like I said,we both really like this game so far but we could definitely use some helpful hints if possible and thank you in advance!

User Info: GunBlazeEX

GunBlazeEX
9 months ago#2
First off, welcome the party!! I'm glad you and your son are enjoying this masterpiece of a game.

Judging from your anecdote, it sounds like you've just beaten the first boss, Knuckledragger.
Searching for guns in the early game is usually a matter of checking the vending machines and opening every single box you come across. That's what I did when I started back in 2014.

Remember, BL2, despite being an FPS, is also an RPG; thus the level of your gear matters a LOT. Keep your gear up to date as much as possible. You will be out-leveling guns relatively quickly in your first playthrough.

Next, try to avoid getting hit as much as possible, whether it is via constantly moving or abusing cover to the maximum. BL2 has a very bad habit (in my opinion) of having terribly weak shields, so don't expect the shield portion of them to save you often.

Regarding evasion by movement, try to zigzag and jump as possible, because enemies have relatively good tracking and it only takes a few bullets to break your shield, then your health bar.

Good hunting out there!

User Info: crimsontide1980

crimsontide1980
9 months ago#3
GunBlazeEX posted...
First off, welcome the party!! I'm glad you and your son are enjoying this masterpiece of a game.

Judging from your anecdote, it sounds like you've just beaten the first boss, Knuckledragger.
Searching for guns in the early game is usually a matter of checking the vending machines and opening every single box you come across. That's what I did when I started back in 2014.

Remember, BL2, despite being an FPS, is also an RPG; thus the level of your gear matters a LOT. Keep your gear up to date as much as possible. You will be out-leveling guns relatively quickly in your first playthrough.

Next, try to avoid getting hit as much as possible, whether it is via constantly moving or abusing cover to the maximum. BL2 has a very bad habit (in my opinion) of having terribly weak shields, so don't expect the shield portion of them to save you often.

Regarding evasion by movement, try to zigzag and jump as possible, because enemies have relatively good tracking and it only takes a few bullets to break your shield, then your health bar.

Good hunting out there!

I appreciate the help and feedback,and you're correct,I'm a little bit past Knuckledragger. I've been checking vending machines as much as possible but so far just several variations of pistols. Maybe when I level up more better weapons will become accessible? Either way, awesome game,I love the controls, gameplay and art style of the game and it keeps me wanting to play to level up. That and my 9 year old and I are huge fans of games with solid couch co op gameplay and this one definitely has that.

User Info: DuneMan

DuneMan
9 months ago#4
In the early game do the sidequests to get early access to other weapon types. Talk to Sir Hammerlock for sidequests. If you get Bullymong fur for him he'll give a sniper rifle. The shorter quest to clear Liar's Berg of Bullymongs should also net you an assault rifle, IIRC.

As for pistols, each manufacturer has a different gimmick, and ammo consumption rate. Maliwan pistols are actually decent on the Southern Shelf when other options aren't available because fire element burns through exposed health bars quite quickly.

Also, when you hit level 5 you'll get your Action Skill, which should be a big boost in power.
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao

User Info: KriegShep

KriegShep
3 months ago#5
Sorry im late to post
But some people find cirtain characters easier to

Axton is good for new starters due to turret being really good for them
Maya is a decent starting character due to being able to control the flow of combat
Zero is good for starters if they like ranged fire fights
Salvador is probably the hardest of the 4 vanilla characters
Why is it whenever someone says "with all do respect" they really mean "kiss my a$$" - Ashley Williams

User Info: 7iquid

7iquid
2 months ago#6
Just started on 360 - it's a terrific game :)

User Info: eolsunder

eolsunder
2 months ago#7
Some early weapon tips.

Don't be afraid to chuck bullets downrange, blast blast blast. Bullets are cheap to refill at Hammerlock and other vendor stations. Your early game close range weapons, assault rifles and smg. Don't rely on sniper weapons for easy kills, you'll need to get used to sniping and head shots. Again don't be afraid to practice, bullets are cheap to replenish.

With pistols. Usually pistols need a few things to be good. Zoom of some sort to help hit stuff further than close range. A nice sized magazine. A pistol with 6 rounds, not quite useful. 20 rounds? Yes excellent. If your lucky you can find a burst mode pistol with a zoom and decent magazine. That is where pistols shine when you can quickly aim blam-blam-blam 3 round burst, repeat until empty and reload. Very quick damage. A revolver with zoom is good also they do more damage than pistols but have smaller magazines. A good zoomed revolver is a short-mid range sniper lol.

Don't forget your grenades, easy way to take care of crowds, which many of your battles start as. So get used to the sniper rifle and learn to start headshooting distant enemies. Up close, just offload your current smg or assault rifle into foes.

When you get elemental weapons. Fire is a good normal playthrough weapon since lots of enemies don't have shields in normal mode, plus fire works on living stuff. You'll reach mechanical enemies later in the game that you need corrosive weapons for. Need 1 nice slag weapon for hard foes to slag/shoot. Electrical weapons not very useful in normal mode, they are more useful in TVHM 2nd time playthrough when much more enemies have shields.

The characters all have different abilities and play different, depending on what you like. New players need to get abilities on their characters that heal them, a must have for new guys to stay alive. With good healing powers you never really even need found healing stims. Each character has a way to heal, find it, and use it. Some can heal right away, some you need to learn a few skills first. But each character can self-heal in some way, learn that asap.
I am outraged! I am outraged beyond words! Yet...I have something I want to say..

User Info: DELFON

DELFON
2 months ago#8
Good memories are ahead of you my friend!

My biggest tip that helped me my first playthru...... TRY THE WEAPONS (on enemies, etc) and see how u take to them before just junking and selling them. Even if their stats seem unimpressive, especially for those red letter text weapons, give them a try before disregarding. Some weapons (and their perks) may surprise you on how good they are.

Granted as you guys get used to the game and experience more and more of it, you will start to learn which weapons you prefer at a glance.

Play around with the weapons.... doesn't have to be every single one that drops, but some that make to pause a moment when u look at their stats / perks. Use them on a few dozen enemies first and decide from there.

Just my two cents.
  1. Boards
  2. Borderlands 2
  3. New to this game
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A