What's the difference between zoning and keepaway?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
  3. What's the difference between zoning and keepaway?

User Info: serpentaurus

serpentaurus
6 years ago#11
Freeze_Flare posted...
Is there a character in the roster who can qualify as both a zoner and a keepaway character?

Dormammu, he can zone like no one, and stay at full screen distance with flying, teleport escapes, rapid dashes behind, in other words playing keepaway.
Now playing: Dead Space 2 and Marvel vs Capcom 3 FTW
Xbox live Gtag: serpentaurus

User Info: 1Scream1

1Scream1
6 years ago#12
Same crap. Zoners keep away and keepway-ers zone to some extent. Whenever I hear the term "zone" I automatically think of "keep-away" so it's a fancy word for it.

User Info: omegamarth

omegamarth
6 years ago#13
pionear posted...
Karsticles posted...
Zoning is space control, keepaway is ensuring you have as much distance between you and your opponent while dealing damage. Sentinel is a zoner - his normals have huge range, allowing him to control the immediate space around him. He's not keepaway though, and couldn't hope to keep a character away if his life depended on it. Deadpool is keepaway.

Kinda agree, but I really don't see Deadpool as a 'pure' keepaway character...he's pretty much a mix btw rushdown and zone.

And I would say they are both similar in terms of gameplay, but I would also add that 'Keepaway' can refer to the defensive tactic of running away from your opponent (teleporting, air dashing, flight, etc) while using attacks (mainly projectiles).

So Sent does has some 'keepaway' tools (like flight and DJ, he still has it in uMvC3, right?), but his large size/hitboxes and slow walk/speed/movement prevent him from becoming a 'pure' keepaway' character.

Characters in uMvC3 who I consider can be played as 'pure' keepaway:

- Arthur (not that mobile, but his moveset is based around keepaway/zoning)
- Strider Hiryu (eventhough rushdown is his main priority)
- Chris
- Doctor Strange
- Rocket Raccoon
- PW (maybe)
- Dorrmy

I might be leaving some out, but those are off the top of my head.

Taskmaster.
Spamming his jump arrows is really annoying keepaway that I abuse whenever I use him, which is all the time, since he's on my main team.

User Info: MillaMac

MillaMac
6 years ago#14
Freeze_Flare posted...
Is there a character in the roster who can qualify as both a zoner and a keepaway character?

^dormammu, taskmaster, hawkeye, and arthur

Possible others: doom and ghost rider
psn: Milla_D_Mac AE mains: Dan, Yang sub: Abel :( oni
Official Apollo Justice of the Layton Kyouju vs Gyakuten Saiban board

User Info: Zekira

Zekira
6 years ago#15
@2 posts above: hm, I consider Taskmaster more of a zoner than a keepaway one though.
One gets extremely lucky, and they get branded as a hacker. Seriously guys? Why not try and think rationally? Being lucky doesn't make you a god, you know.

User Info: pionear

pionear
6 years ago#16
Yang_K_Vue posted...
strider is not keepaway. neither is doom. but logically, any character can become a " keepaway" char.

BS...with teleports, wall cling/bounce, DJ, Gram and decent keepaway projectiles, Strider can be played as Keepaway. But he's not a 'Zoner', since many of his normal attacks lacks range.

And not only Wolvie can't Zone/Keepaway good, you can also add:

- X-23
- Jill
- Wesker
- She Hulk
- Iron Fist

User Info: cuttin_in_town

cuttin_in_town
6 years ago#17
pionear posted...
Yang_K_Vue posted...
strider is not keepaway. neither is doom. but logically, any character can become a " keepaway" char.

BS...with teleports, wall cling/bounce, DJ, Gram and decent keepaway projectiles, Strider can be played as Keepaway. But he's not a 'Zoner', since many of his normal attacks lacks range.

And not only Wolvie can't Zone/Keepaway good, you can also add:

- X-23
- Jill
- Wesker
- She Hulk
- Iron Fist

Wesker can zone.
Official #1 Survivor fan in my city.
"Shooting is fighting too! Just from far away!"

User Info: AshtonRPG7

AshtonRPG7
6 years ago#18
AND keepaway,, i love spamming the gun and teleport away/superjump and repeat..... just for fun tho ;) but it works cool
  1. Boards
  2. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
  3. What's the difference between zoning and keepaway?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived