• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 2
  3. How do I get a certain ending for Vault City? *spoilers*

User Info: J_Man42

J_Man42
9 years ago#1
I want to get the ending where Vault City joins the NCR. I've wiped out the raiders and found the Account Book in the safe, but I'm unclear on the rest. Do I also have to get Bishop's Holodisk? If I do, can I give it to Lynette after I show her the Account Book, or do I need to show both to her at the same time?
"My strength will only be used to protect the world! Lord of Darkness, prepare to suffer for trifling with so many lives!" - Sonia Belmont

User Info: joefitts63

joefitts63
9 years ago#2
It is a little screwy. If you have brought either the account book or Bishop's holodisk, you will get the ending you want. If you bring both, then you will get a different one where VC winds up independent, unless you complete the entire quest line by playing mailman and making sure you collect the final reward, in which case you will get the ending you want. Like I said, screwy.
"Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull then ram it in an eye socket, I know I'm buildin' a better future." - Smiling Jack

User Info: SoIidLegacy

SoIidLegacy
9 years ago#3
I clearly recall that (in the Killap-patched version) Vault City becomes independent if you fix the powerplant, break the raiders' strength, gather both the Account Book and Bishop's holodisk, deliver Lynette's holodisk to Westin and deliver Westin's holodisk to Lynette (also, try and keep them alive).

If you don't do all of that, Vault City will become part of NCR. Remember that this also makes sense because Westin clearly states in his holodisk that he respects Vault City's sovereignty and will take steps to stop NCR's conspiracies to have Vault City join NCR.
~States Guardian~ / 0,999~ < 1
There are people having sex right now. You are not one of them.

J_Man42
9 years ago#4
I looked at some other sources, and I'm pretty sure this is what I need to do.

I have to:

1. Collect the Account Book
2. Collect Bishop's Holodisk
3. Present them both to Lynette at the same time
4. Deliver Lynette's holodisk to Westin
5. Deliver Westin's holodisk to Lynette
6. Collect final reward from Randal

Is that right?

Oh, by the way, is there any way to retrieve Bishop's holodisk from his safe without turning him hostile?
"My strength will only be used to protect the world! Lord of Darkness, prepare to suffer for trifling with so many lives!" - Sonia Belmont

User Info: SpaceDetective

SpaceDetective
9 years ago#5
Have sex with his wife and make sure your character has good enough ST and EN so that she doesn't fall asleep during sex, then talk to her to get the combination to the safe.

She's bi so it doesn't matter if you're a guy or a chick.

Also, no seriously. This is one of two ways of getting in his safe. Save first though. Also if you have a guy character and don't want a different ending for New Reno then have a condom in your inventory before doing the deed.
I was out like the dying heartbeat of a little girl. -Needles Kane/Sweet Tooth, Twisted Metal: Black

User Info: joefitts63

joefitts63
9 years ago#6
You can also get into his safe with explosives. Set the explosives right by the safe, then run to the upper right corner of the map. After the explosion, one of the guards will come running but he won't notice you up there, so wait for him to go back to his post. Loot the safe. When you leave, Bishop WILL accost you, so agree to do his dirty work and he will let you walk out.
"Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull then ram it in an eye socket, I know I'm buildin' a better future." - Smiling Jack

J_Man42
9 years ago#7
joefitts63 posted...
You can also get into his safe with explosives. Set the explosives right by the safe, then run to the upper right corner of the map. After the explosion, one of the guards will come running but he won't notice you up there, so wait for him to go back to his post. Loot the safe. When you leave, Bishop WILL accost you, so agree to do his dirty work and he will let you walk out.

What do you mean "agree to do his dirty work"? When Bishop confronts me, I get two dialogue options, asking about Vault 13 and saying I'm in the wrong room. Both of them cause Bishop to go into his "You got some balls..." spiel, at which point I have three dialogue options that all lead to combat.

User Info: SpaceDetective

SpaceDetective
9 years ago#8
Ok, you have two options:

1: Sneak by him and hope he doesn't notice you, stick to the north wall for best results. Also make sure you actually sneak by pressing 1 on your keyboard and avoiding running.

2: Reload an old save file if you've already saved and go back to Vault City, find that guy talking about "the word," be nice to him and he'll give you a briefcase and ask you to take it to Bishop. Once you're back to New Reno tell the guy by the staircase leading to Bishop's room you have a package for him. He'll let you up and you'll have a way to prevent Bishop from attacking you(giving him the briefcase and agreeing to do work for him).

EDIT: Also, I forgot you could get into his safe with dynamite or C4. One of three ways I suppose.
You were almost a Jill sandwich! -Barry Burton, Resident Evil

J_Man42
9 years ago#9
Eh, I changed my mind and decided to just kill the Bishops. I got more EXP, loot, and positive karma that way. Thanks for the help anyway, guys. I also have completed the whole NCR-New Reno subplot, delivering both disks and picking up the final reward. So I should now get the ending I want, like joefitts63 explained in his first post.

J_Man42
9 years ago#10
Awesome, I finished the game!

Unfortunately, though, I got the "Vault City independent" ending instead of the ending I wanted. I guess Killap's Unofficial Patch fixed it so that you get that ending even if you collect the reward from Randal. That must have been a bug in the original version.

By the way, I noticed something odd when I finished the game. Looking at the Fallout Wiki page for this game's endings (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_2_endings), it seems that there are several ending clips that should have played but didn't. Specifically, they are "Elder dies peacefully", "Harold's tree grows larger", "Marcus travels east", and "Richardson dead and forgotten". Is there a proper reason that these clips didn't play, or is it just a bug?

I also didn't get an ending for the Hubologists, but I figured that was because I didn't learn about their whole space shuttle thing during the game. All I did with them was kill the AHS-9 for the Shi. But then again, it could just be the same bug.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 2
  3. How do I get a certain ending for Vault City? *spoilers*
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A