Running Fallout 2 requires the CD

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 2
  3. Running Fallout 2 requires the CD

User Info: itsjeremy6

itsjeremy6
7 years ago#1
I did the humongous installation, I installed the patch, I ran as administrator, I ran in compatibility mode, I checked the pathways in .cfg, I own the cd and it is in the computer as I speak. The patch and the game are both the US version. Everything is as it should be, but I still get the "running fallout 2 requires cd" error. I did all this a couple days ago, and the computer has been rebooted atleast a couple times since. I have been looking everywhere for advice, but I can't find anything I have not done yet to get my Christmas Fallout 2 to work T_T

Any help is much appreciated.

User Info: codysan87

codysan87
7 years ago#2
I ran in compatibility mode
Tried not doing that? IIRC it screws with the drives for games.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one.

itsjeremy6
7 years ago#3
Yes, that was what I tried originally.

User Info: JoveHack

JoveHack
7 years ago#4
Did you get it from Good Old Games? They have a version with no DRM for $6.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/fallout_2
Jove the Sleep Depraved. Primal Wiki: http://primal.wikia.com

itsjeremy6
7 years ago#5
Alright guys, I got it running. For anyone who looks at this in the future: my problem was solved by REinstallation using the humongous installation. The first time I tried to reinstall, I was following a lead that said large installation would work better. In my case that was not true. Also, after I reinstalled the game, I reinstalled the patch which I found by googling "fallout 2 patch 1.02." I did originally download a patch that I could not get to install, so if that is your problem, carefully try your luck with another. The are other less important patches, but this is the main one. Also, I have read that the patch you install must match the version of your game. The following website shows the cover art for each version of Fallout 2: http://www.mobygames.com/game/fallout-2/cover-art

User Info: codysan87

codysan87
7 years ago#6
The first time I tried to reinstall, I was following a lead that said large installation would work better.
Which I imagine was the problem originally. You said you used the humongous.

Patches are at NMA-Fallout.com
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 2
  3. Running Fallout 2 requires the CD

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived