• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. LIMBO
  3. My interpretation, for what it's worth.

User Info: JohnnyShred612

JohnnyShred612
9 years ago#1
Just beat it for the first time. Wow. Put some thought into it, because it's a thought provoking game, and after reading some theories on the internet, and I've come to two possible conclusions.

Option one...

The boy died playing outside in the treehouse with his sister. He fell. The title screen with the ladder rotted away and a swarm of flies is, in my opinion, indicative of that. Not to say that he would never have been buried or anything, as I think it's probably not LITERAL (I see no situation in which this boy would've died and not been found/buried, at least no situation that's even remotely hinted at), but I think he died falling out of the treehouse. Actually, perhaps it was a favorite "secret spot" of his and his sister's, and she panicked and did a sham job of burying him there, hence the flies. Either way, he died by falling out of the treehouse.

The journey through Limbo itself is what many have speculated -- the evolution of his greatest fears as he is on the edge of hell. I'm with the crowd that suggests the forest represents his fear of nature and the wide world out there full of scary animals. The boys represent bullies or kids at school he doesn't like. The factory represents his fear of growing up, and the gravity section represents his fear of the unknown and the things he doesn't understand. I don't think it needs to be looked into too closely when it comes to the powersaws and such -- those things are naturally scary.

The ending is simple. He has conquered his greatest fears and can now enter heaven. I'm not so certain he realized he was dead this entire time, hence why he wanted to find his sister. He certainly does realize he's dead, though, when he crosses through the plane and back to where he started. I think the sister and the repaired ladder represent salvation -- notice that she's always in a bright light, and the bright lights in this game always shine down from above (Heaven). He sees his "sister" burying him, making him realize he's dead, but I don't think the sister is actually there. I think she is there to serve as him realizing that he's dead. The ladder is repaired because, as his favorite place to play, it is his spiritual means of ascending into Heaven.

His "sister" realizes that he has finally come, welcomes him, and they climb up the ladder to Heaven. Boom. That's my theory, anyway.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put it in your mouth -- especially if the thing is cats." -- Lemony Snicket

User Info: JohnnyShred612

JohnnyShred612
9 years ago#2
An alternate, slightly more complicated version -- he was a grown man when he died, and had regrets about his childhood and his relationship with his sister. Perhaps he was somehow accidentally responsible for her death at the treehouse when they were children, and that's HER body on the title screen. He wasn't necessarily a very good man in the end and never forgave himself for the accident. Completely swallowed by self-pity, he has a bad case of the "poor me"s and treats people badly, hence why he ends up in limbo.

It's important to note that the journey through Limbo involves the boy being violent, not just the world being violent to him. The spider acts entirely in self defense at first, but the boy chops off its legs in order to make progress. It's easy to villainize the spider, but all he wanted the boy to do was piss off and leave him alone. He crosses the bridge later in the game, and it collapses under him to reveal a child hung by the neck. Lots of these moments happen in the game, and I think it serves as a message to him, making him realize that in life, he did just as much damage to the world as the world has done to him through his inability to cope with his fears properly.

The areas in the game then represent the same thing, except the factory represents him losing himself in his work and losing the innocence he had as a child. The ending is basically the same, except it's really his sister, who is waiting for him to tell him that she forgives him for the accident. He forgives himself, and having conquered his fears and self-loathing, he is able to "climb the ladder" of their favorite spot as children into heaven.

I actually think I like that theory better... it has less holes. Hmm. Thoughts? Every theory I've read has some merit, but I think the car crash theories and things like that are thinking waaaaay too hard about certain aspects.

Mine might fall prey to "thinking too hard", but that's what's great about it -- you can take whatever explanation feels right to you.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put it in your mouth -- especially if the thing is cats." -- Lemony Snicket
  1. Boards
  2. LIMBO
  3. My interpretation, for what it's worth.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A