GTAV As A Way To Teach Someone How To Drive

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Grand Theft Auto V
  3. GTAV As A Way To Teach Someone How To Drive

User Info: GamerSDB

GamerSDB
4 months ago#1
I have a brother who is mentally challenged. One of his desires is to learn how to drive. We actually took him out on the road, so he knows the basics of a driving car. Where he is struggling is passing his permit since he has issues being able to comprehend the questions and understanding certain concepts.

While hearing a story about a teacher playing GTAV with his child as far as just driving and teaching him the different colors of the car, that sparked an idea as maybe using it as a way for him to just drive and follow the rules of the road. I am hoping that this will enforce the concepts and rules of the road which will assist him in passing his test. He does have a XBOX One which he plays mostly wrestling games.

Is GTAV similar to reality in the driving sense which learning the signs of the road and such for someone to assist someone like my brother to learn how to drive?

User Info: Lahar

Lahar
4 months ago#2
I'm afraid GTA isn't a driving safety simulator. The game doesn't force you to obey traffic rules or intersection lights or road sides.

That said, there's no harm in trying out the game. You and your brother can devise your own parameters.

This is the 360 board but on current gen you can go into first-person perspective. That could offer a more immersive feel when driving (set first person camera to inside rather than hood or headlights or whatever).
Please be Somerset Maugham.
Please be Somerset Maugham.

User Info: kg88222

kg88222
4 months ago#3
Probably this or the Forza Horizon games for realistic environments. Not sure there are any games that force you to obey the rules of the road and the rest of the games are mostly racing. That would be cool though if they had a game like that. LA Noire sort of does but not really and I don't think the cars handle as realistically as in GTA.

The old Test Drive games were good for that. The Crew might be good too.

GTA V is probably the closest you are going to get to real life surprisingly although I think it's caroonish way of encouraging mayhem and crashes is probably the opposite of what you want to be teaching someone. In GTA crashes are hysterical. In real life not so much.

User Info: ExtaticGamer

ExtaticGamer
4 months ago#4
First of all, I really like this thread.

Second, if you ask me, GTA V does have a pretty realistic traffic system. It doesn't 'force' you to obey the laws of the road, but you can choose to and you can see that the developers designed the game around the player being an actual part of the commute. You can stop in front of red lights and when NPCs line up behind you they will actually stop and wait as is usual(and not just ram you off the road as if you're not even there, like they did in GTA IV). Infrastructure in the game makes sense like it does in real life too and the varied environment just makes it very fun to drive around like a person would.

You can't use turn signals, and it there are no speed limits (even though it is implied there is in a cutscene, but that's a different story), so it may not be a 100% accurate driving simulation in a realistic sense, but I think your brother will definitely enjoy having a taste of what it might be like.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

User Info: GamerSDB

GamerSDB
4 months ago#5
Thank you all for the great responses and I will more likely do that so at least he has somewhat of a better idea of driving. Meant to put it in the Xbox One thread so my bad on that part. Thank you again!

User Info: kicks67

kicks67
4 months ago#6
I don’t think it’s a bad learning tool because it presents random situations with reprecusions as does real life. If he serious (I couldn’t do it) & with your tootilage (what’s right/wrong) he can practice some of the steps you would take during the test. Idk if it’s steering wheel comparable but that would add to the immersion. Conversely, if he doesn’t take it seriously. I’m scared to imagine the possibilities. I just hope he doesn’t make it long enough for the military to get involved. Lol!
I don’t understand what you guys mean by “force you to obey traffic rules”. Compassion & humanity is a powerful “force” but if someone decides to mow a bunch of people down ala GTA (and they have) nothing is stopping them......i mean eventually by some means they’ll be stopped but not before ala minority report.

User Info: kicks67

kicks67
4 months ago#7
EVen better you can do the driving and present him with questions and examples & maybe answer his & maybe learn ya something aswell.
  1. Boards
  2. Grand Theft Auto V
  3. GTAV As A Way To Teach Someone How To Drive

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived