• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Grand Theft Auto V
  3. People obsessing over graphics need to realize that pretty graphics are fleeting

User Info: applejak412

applejak412
6 years ago#1
In a year ALL current games with graphics striving for realism are going to look out-dated. When will you be satisfied? When video-games look exactly like real life? When you can shoot someone with a shot-gun and blow their hip out and see every shred of flesh and bone all over the place?

I bet some of you are like, hell yeah, but your not being real. Go google "shot-gun wounds" on google or other gory pictures. If you enjoyed a game that real you'd either be dangerously de-sensitized or inherently sociopathic.

Wouldn't you rather the developers focus on gameplay? Imagine if R* chose a single art style that fit the mood of the game perfectly and wasn't too demanding on the hardware, and then focused on content and game play mechanics. You'd have a truly timeless game.
Come dream of DeepWood (AC: New Leaf dream address):
5700-2359-3994

User Info: ydderf22

ydderf22
6 years ago#2
applejak412 posted...
In a year ALL current games with graphics striving for realism are going to look out-dated. When will you be satisfied? When video-games look exactly like real life? When you can shoot someone with a shot-gun and blow their hip out and see every shred of flesh and bone all over the place?

I bet some of you are like, hell yeah, but your not being real. Go google "shot-gun wounds" on google or other gory pictures. If you enjoyed a game that real you'd either be dangerously de-sensitized or inherently sociopathic.

Wouldn't you rather the developers focus on gameplay? Imagine if R* chose a single art style that fit the mood of the game perfectly and wasn't too demanding on the hardware, and then focused on content and game play mechanics. You'd have a truly timeless game.

agreed

User Info: CL60

CL60
6 years ago#3
Crysis still looks amazing.
Every time you shoot a deer head a zombie gets a shotgun

User Info: NeonYoshi11

NeonYoshi11
6 years ago#4
Just played san andreas 3 months ago.

It looks like crap.

any game going for "realism" will eventually looks like crap.

This is why Art Style matters more than realism.

This is why Wind Waker still looks better than most games today, even the GC version.

IF you look closely, to disguise the old tech in the PS3/Xbox360 they use art that resembles realistm mixed with cel shading.

So it's got a bit of Street Fighter 4 in it, but in a realistic way, this allows them to improve "graphics" while not taking away performance of the game.
Pokemon White 2 FC: 0219-2969-7648

User Info: thedeparted94

thedeparted94
6 years ago#5
grand theft auto 4 was designed well and it's still not out of date..

I still play first few resident evils every year because the gameplay is so awesome..even if the graphics are lacking..
<PSN> britz02

User Info: Fuyuhana11

Fuyuhana11
6 years ago#6
applejak412 posted...

I like you TC. Nice post.

User Info: AtlusSaGa

AtlusSaGa
6 years ago#7
NeonYoshi11 posted...
Just played san andreas 3 months ago.

It looks like crap.

any game going for "realism" will eventually looks like crap.

This is why Art Style matters more than realism.

This is why Wind Waker still looks better than most games today, even the GC version..

So true. The PS2/GCN gen is going to go down in history as the gen with the prettiest lineup. It seems like a lot of developers really focused on art style since the tech still wasn't there for raw power. The best games from that gen already look a whole lot better than the early "realistic" graphics from early this gen (which are already aging badly).
3DS: 2836-1460-9962
Official Kudlak of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board

User Info: PvtPorkSord

PvtPorkSord
6 years ago#8
Soldier of fortune 2 was like that and I never wanted to shoot a real person in the face with a shotgun.

User Info: Outlaw Velker

Outlaw Velker
6 years ago#9
That's why Vice City holds up as well as it does. Objectively, the graphics, especially the character models are ugly, but the art design is flawless. The lighting, the color, especially on the eastern island (the second island is admittedly unattractive) are gorgeous and capture a very specific aesthetic. The Xbox/PC ports look particularly good. San Andreas, despite coming out a few years later, doesn't look nearly as good. Its art design is limited to what...yellow smog? It doesn't look nearly as distinctive as Vice City.

It's also why World of Warcraft holds up today. The graphics are cartoony and unrealistic, but it's a distinct, styled design.
"Down here there's just winners and losers and don't get caught on the wrong side of that line."

User Info: rkade8583

rkade8583
6 years ago#10
Do what I did. Be born 3 months early and have a nurse not pay attention to the oxygen levels in my incubator thus causing my retinas to detach to various degrees.

Graphics aren't important to 20/400 in one eye.
Steam/Skype/XBLA: RKade8583 LoL: RKade the Tank
I'm almost blind. If you think that's a problem then you haven't seen my skills. Spite motivates, believe me.
  1. Boards
  2. Grand Theft Auto V
  3. People obsessing over graphics need to realize that pretty graphics are fleeting
  • Topic Archived