• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Grand Theft Auto V
  3. Is GTA V an RPG?

User Info: Charybdis

Charybdis
7 years ago#1
I think it is. It's at least as much an RPG as Bethesda games like Skyrim. You have skills, you use them and they improve from doing this. The plot is important like you'd see in a J-RPG, but the skill mechanic is totally like a Western RPG.
"I don't want knowledge. I want certainty." - David Bowie

User Info: more_cow_bell

more_cow_bell
7 years ago#2
no
And the worms ate into his brain

User Info: Druff

Druff
7 years ago#3
Lots of video games are "role playing games" where you play the role of a character whereby you use and sharpen their skills, learn new abilities, find and buy new gear, etc.

But in terms of "RPG" being a shorthand label for games that originated from Chainmail and D&D, no. Obviously not.
Caution - You are approaching the periphery shield of Vortex Four

User Info: Charybdis

Charybdis
7 years ago#4
Druff posted...
Lots of video games are "role playing games" where you play the role of a character whereby you use and sharpen their skills, learn new abilities, find and buy new gear, etc.

But in terms of "RPG" being a shorthand label for games that originated from Chainmail and D&D, no. Obviously not.

To me it doesn't seem too different - aside from the setting it has the same basic elements of like Skyrim or KOTOR. GTA V is unique in that it has such a fully realized world, but it does have elements of an RPG. Just like it has elements of a flight simulator, or driving game. It's more than just that but it's still that too.
"I don't want knowledge. I want certainty." - David Bowie

User Info: Red Lobstar

Red Lobstar
7 years ago#5
The stats in this game are nearly worthless. The only difference I've noticed is marginally less wobble with higher pilot skill, and of course being able to run/swim indefinitely with maxed stamina. The rest might as well not even exist, and even though they do they are nowhere near as in depth as the stat systems in RPGs.

User Info: sheila_mertens

sheila_mertens
7 years ago#6
This game is definitely NOT an rpg (and I have been playing tons of rpg's for more than 20 years now). Is tries to mimic certain rpg aspects, but fails. Stats mean nothing, you can easily finish the entire game without putting any effort in raising any of them. I think, this game is more of the 'jack of all but master of none' type of games. But it has its moments, and I like it nonetheless.

User Info: vivalatour

vivalatour
7 years ago#7
it's all a bunch of dudes "tripping out " and rolling over ...

User Info: Zenzi09

Zenzi09
7 years ago#8
Druff posted...

Agreed, alot of games cross and merge genres these days, but I would not say RPG is what it mainly is.
I'd hardly even call FF series RPGs anymore though for that matter.
60" LED check, GTA V check, 6 pack of home brew check
Lets rock

User Info: Dear_Ambellina

Dear_Ambellina
7 years ago#9
RPG Lite.

User Info: KarpWhip

KarpWhip
7 years ago#10
Is GTA V an RPG?

No.
"METAL RULES AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT: DIE." Paul Baloff