• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pikmin 3
  3. Theories - relationship between Pikmin, Mamuta, and Goolix/Wraith? (spoilers)

User Info: piranhapete

piranhapete
4 years ago#1
So, in my mind there is no doubt that the Goolix in Pikmin 1 becomes the Waterwraith in Pikmin 2, which becomes the Plasm Wraith in Pikmin 3, which looks a ton like both of them in its two forms. Even in the final fight, the Plasm Wraith resembles the Goolix--with a nucleus it creates a form with a membrane of a particular element, only penetrable like one Pikmin type (just as the gooey form it took in the first game was only penetrable by blue Pikmin).

Some people think that the creature is first triggered by the asteroid Olimar crashes into in the first game (which is also visible in the second game). This makes sense since the pieces could have fallen with Olimar to create Goolix at the Impact Site, though I'm unconvinced. Some people also theorize the Wraith influences these crash landings, though I'm not totally convinced of that either yet.

What I'm mainly interested in is the relationship of the Mamuta to Pikmin, Pikmin to Goolix, and Mamuta to Goolix. In the Prima Guide for the original game, Mamuta's technical name is "The Great Protector (The God of All Pikmin)". In addition, its arm bands are the onion patterns. These things seem to confirm pretty clearly that Mamuta is significant in Pikmin mythology. Olimar says it's a creature that grows and cultivates plants, so it's possible it helps Pikmin go through their life cycle in some way. Perhaps there's a giant Mamuta that even plants Onions. Our first Onion was in the ground. It's also interesting the Smoky Progg, which could *uproot* and kill Pikmin, is "thought to be a malformed Mamuta larva."

What's also interesting to me is that the Wraith seemed to be taking care of Olimar, albeit in a twisted way. It almost mirrors how the Mamuta takes care of Pikmin, shoving them into the ground and then enjoying the pretty blossoms. I think Mamuta truly is a benevolent creature, helping Pikmin. I want to think that the Wraith has some darker motive if it is sinking ships then hunting down the captains. Maybe it is that simple, though.

I'm not sure what to make of all of it, and something tells me if we get more Pikmin games we still might not get answers. I want to hope we'll get some crazy final boss next game like some kind of warped Mamuta or powerful Smoky Progg, but part of me doubts it. All in all, it seems significant that both Mamuta and Goolix serve as mini bosses at the Impact Site, a simple area where Olimar first lands. These are the only two enemies in Pikmin I believe that appear on even and odd days, and of course as everyone knows, they appear in the exact same spot.

Ideas, anyone? Thanks for reading.

tl;dr--Goolix=Plasm Wraith, Mamuta=Pikmin God
I count triple because I'm the False Spring Queen!
So you ARE outnumbered, cakesniffers.

User Info: Lagochocobo13

Lagochocobo13
4 years ago#2
I always felt like Goolix was a predator to the pikmin. They mention somewhere that Pikmin evolve to their environment so the Goolix would eat pikmin so then there was blue pikmin. If he did grow to be the Plasma Wrath then Pikmin had to learn to Fly and break glass.... rock and Flying pikmin. Just made sense to me!
Interesting theories too!

User Info: shinyspheal

shinyspheal
4 years ago#3
I think people are thinking too much into this, but I was the same not many years ago, I even made a fan-made pikmin game with demons and mythological creatures. anyway, I think many of these are coincidences, like goolix, it's based of an amoeba, with two nuclei, (which both Wraiths lack, I'll explain later) now the Water Wraith and the Plasm Wraith seem to be more realted to one another, specially the strange behaviour and the contrast they have with the rest of the game, still I think they are three separate entities, though I have my theories on the three:

Water Wraith Theory: It's simple, it's just a manifestation, the uncany thing is that it's smart/strange enough to carry rollers with him, and in a gameplay standpoint, it really is something unique and scary, even today, after all these years, I fear him, I even got to the point when I completed the whole cave without him showing up until lv. 5.
as for his weakness of Purple pikmin? the game explains it, it disrupts his composition, making him vulnerable.

tldr: Just a supernatural being, included as that to create true fear on gamers, exploiting the mechanic of a boss that follows you around.

Plasm Wraith Theory: IMO, this is more interesting, notice the huge tree and the clones of enemies? everytime you kill an enemy in the FO, it dissolves into the floor, as if they are clones created by the Wraith, however they can be killed by the Wraith, so how is that possible? What if they are not clones created by the wraith but by another entity? What other entity you ask? the same thing that gave life to the Wraith... one formidable being... the formidable oak. notice the golden/amber coat the Wraith has? it somewhat resembles tree sap. So the oak uses its sap to protect himself, the clones are like white cells and the Wraith is like the brain of the tree. Finally, there's the nucleus it has, however, that's no nucleus, it's just for movement/attacking, you never attack one nucleus, just the main body, once it lacks the sap to continue, it retreats back to the tree to get more. Of course many of the things are for gameplay (enemies don't leave a corpse so you don't get blocked by them, and the Wraith creates fire, electricity, etc. and flies for you to use all types of pikmin).

tldr: All the beings in the Formidable Oak are it's somehow sentient sap.

Goolix Theory: Now this is one I JUST made up, and it's just crazy, so... how many nuclei did I said goolix had? yeah... and what colors are these two nuclei? I'll leave up to you to interpret this ;)
3DS FC 3711-7972-2938

User Info: shinyspheal

shinyspheal
4 years ago#4
As for the Mamuta, I think it has some relation to Pikmin, because I've also read somewhere it was like a God to pikmin, and makes sense that is not only plants pikmin, but also makes them flower pikmin. my theory is that it's a being close to humans, however due to mutations/evoltion it ended up like that. perhaps it plants pikmin and grows them for them to not be attacked.
3DS FC 3711-7972-2938

User Info: piranhapete

piranhapete
4 years ago#5
Hmm interesting. I like the sap theory, but don't trees have to be alive to produce sap? The Formidable Oak had clearly been ravaged by termites or another similar insect. I also think the Goolix-PlasmWraith similarity is a bit hard to ignore, but you are right in that the Plasm Wraith's goo form only has one nucleus (I think, at least).
I count triple because I'm the False Spring Queen!
So you ARE outnumbered, cakesniffers.
  1. Boards
  2. Pikmin 3
  3. Theories - relationship between Pikmin, Mamuta, and Goolix/Wraith? (spoilers)
  • Topic Archived
More topics from this board...
The final level is awfulThe_MCX23611/9 4:16PM