Ending discussion (Spoilers, of course)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pikmin 3
  3. Ending discussion (Spoilers, of course)

User Info: Namohysip

Namohysip
5 years ago#1
So, am I the only one that felt that the ending to this game was a little... odd? I mean, not necessarily incomplete, but... odd? So we rescued Olimar, got the drive key back, and are heading home. Yes, Koppai is just fine, now. But... well, was everything else, like why the S.S. Drake crash-landed in the first place (implied to be the final boss' doing) or the fact that yet another ship crash-landed at the end... was that all just for the sake of a potential sequel hook, or what? Maybe it's for the secret memos, or even DLC...

User Info: liveman789

liveman789
5 years ago#2
Hopefully tomorrow's Direct will answer some of these questions, specifically the memo situation.

User Info: Rayze_Darr

Rayze_Darr
5 years ago#3
It's all about implications. I've developed a pretty solid theory, I think, to explain the last leg of the game, as well as why the Drake crashed. The main hole in it is that it's not scientifically sound; it implies some sort of magical power at work.

Okay, so, we can all agree that Pikmin 2's Water Wraith and Pikmin 3's final boss, the Plasm Wraith, are very similar-looking creatures. If you'll recall Olimar's notes on the Water Wraith, two things stand out: it strikes fear into the hearts of anyone who sees it, and it's mentioned that it may not even be real, but a figment of one's imagination. Backtracking even further, the main different between Pikmin 1 and 2 is the time limit. In Pikmin 1, Olimar states time and time again how the day-to-day time limit, as well as his 30-day limit, are a source of fear for him. In Pikmin 2, we not only lose the 30-day limit, but while inside caves we also lose the daily limit. The Water Wraith changes this in his cave, however, by appearing whenever he spends too much time on a single floor. If the creature really is a figment of Olimar's imagination, and if it's so strongly associated with fear, then perhaps it's, in actuality, a physical manifestation of Olimar's fears. It appears in the way it does, by forcing Olimar to work quickly on each floor, because of his fear of the time limits he faced on his previous adventure.

Off to the events proceeding Pikmin 3, Olimar has evidently not gathered enough treasure to recover the Dolphin, so he grabs Louie and they return to the planet. Having already crashed there once, and having lost Louie due to the foliage another time, it's very possible that Olimar would also have a fear of crashing his ship once again. By this time, if the Water Wraith had fully recovered from its previous fight, then, being a manifestation of Olimar's own mind, it could easily have gained the ability to make Olimar's fears of crashing a reality, crashing the ship down onto the planet. There's one major thing differemt about this mission from Olimar's others, though: he's there for selfish reasons, seeking to get his Dolphin back by hunting down, specifically, gold. Notice how, when we find the ship from Pikmin 2, how its golden coat is gone? Also, remember how, when we hit the Water Wraith with a purple Pikmin in Pikmin 2, it turns purple? What if, seeking to become the embodiment of Olimar's newfound greed, the Water Wraith uses its color absorption to suck the gold off of the ship. Then, the newly formed Plasm Wraith lures Olimar to its base in the ultimate ironic twist. Being the embodiment of both Olimar's fears and greed, where Olimar came to the planet to essentially kidnap its gold, Olimar now finds himself kidnapped by gold. Olimar even mentions that the creature always hunts him down when he escapes, much like how Olimar continually returns to the planet to ravage it. In addition, Olimar mentions in a journal entry being especially afraid due to his lack of having Pikmin with him, which could then give the Plasm Wraith its elemental properties.

If we submit to this theory, then Olimar's fears would have created quite the creature, most noticeably one with an affinity of crashing ships that enter the planet's atmosphere. It's entirely possible that, acting on its newfound instincts, the Plasm Wraith used its powers to crash the Drake, which ultimately lead to its downfall. With Olimar unconscious due to his suit's hyper-sleep, the Plasm Wraith was unable to change further, and the three new captains were able to take it down, saving Olimar from a literal manifestation of his own fear and greed. The creature lives as long as Olimar's mind does, however, and as the Drake takes off for the last time, we see the indestructible beast, weakened from battle, cry to the heavens as its prize, the Hocotatian that inadvertently created it, leaving the planet for possibly the last time.

That's just my theory, though.
3DS FC: 5327 - 0902 - 3469
New Leaf Dream Address: 5500 - 2146 - 0428

User Info: ZeldaMaster435

ZeldaMaster435
5 years ago#4
One thing I noticed that NOBODY is discussing, that could relate to the "meteor" at the end:

When you highlight the END day after beating the game, where you're forced to select an older day, if you look at the GamePad, a note written by one of the main characters mentions that Louie was lost on their flight home, and that he remains on PNF-404 after the game's conclusion.

User Info: Rayze_Darr

Rayze_Darr
5 years ago#5
ZeldaMaster435 posted...
One thing I noticed that NOBODY is discussing, that could relate to the "meteor" at the end:

When you highlight the END day after beating the game, where you're forced to select an older day, if you look at the GamePad, a note written by one of the main characters mentions that Louie was lost on their flight home, and that he remains on PNF-404 after the game's conclusion.

Another theory I have is that Louie intentionally ate all of the Golden Pikpik carrots in Pikmin 2 so that Olimar would take him down to the planet, where he could merge with the Titan Dweevil and rule as King of Bugs. When you leave him behind at the game's halfway mark, he ran away on its own to find the thing. He probably did it again, only agreeing to help Olimar with his goal in order to get back on the planet.

As for the meteor, maybe it's a piece of the Plasm Wraith, manifested by the theory that I stated in my last post?
3DS FC: 5327 - 0902 - 3469
New Leaf Dream Address: 5500 - 2146 - 0428

User Info: Holy_Oblivion

Holy_Oblivion
5 years ago#6
Awesome theory, Raze. I'm accepting that as canon in my mind until further notice lol.
Visit my youtube page for game and anime vlogs, and plenty of other stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BaoZakeruga?show_guided_help=1

User Info: Keyblade_Keeper

Keyblade_Keeper
5 years ago#7
^Agreed. Although, the Japanese mythos connection to the Umibouzu is another real cool theory (see HiddenDoorway's "Explaining the context..." for the theory.
I'm a professional nerd.

User Info: FFXIgaiaknight

FFXIgaiaknight
5 years ago#8
Rayze_Darr posted...
ZeldaMaster435 posted...

Another theory I have is that Louie intentionally ate all of the Golden Pikpik carrots in Pikmin 2 so that Olimar would take him down to the planet, where he could merge with the Titan Dweevil and rule as King of Bugs. When you leave him behind at the game's halfway mark, he ran away on its own to find the thing. He probably did it again, only agreeing to help Olimar with his goal in order to get back on the planet.

As for the meteor, maybe it's a piece of the Plasm Wraith, manifested by the theory that I stated in my last post?

why would it be the plasma wraith when you clearly saw him as you took off home back on top of the tree?
3DS FC: 4124-5007-1536
NNI: Gaiaknight

User Info: Variasi

Variasi
5 years ago#9
Holy_Oblivion posted...
Awesome theory, Raze. I'm accepting that as canon in my mind until further notice lol.

Whoa, yeah. I really enjoyed reading that theory. I'm adopting it too until proven otherwise.

User Info: arvilino

arvilino
5 years ago#10
Rayze_Darr posted...
ZeldaMaster435 posted...

But he ate the Pikpik carrots before he even knew about PNF-404.
"The fact of the matter is that we've been here constantly. We've been betraying peoples expectations, in a good way, for a long time."
  1. Boards
  2. Pikmin 3
  3. Ending discussion (Spoilers, of course)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived
More topics from this board...
The final level is awfulThe_MCX22810/9 11:26AM