This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  3. Ridley: The Last Nintendo All-Star

User Info: Snakey

Snakey
9 years ago#1
Ridley: The Last Nintendo All-Star

Smash Bros. is constantly referred to as being a collection of Nintendo’s “All-Stars” or rather the most important characters from its universes. Its biggest all-stars joined in the original with the main heroes of most of it’s A-list and B-list franchises joining in the original. Melee continued this tradition by having most of its newcomers be important characters from A-list series (Bowser, Peach, Zelda, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Marth). Many were disappointed that more all-stars were not added with Melee. However, with Smash’s third installment it seemed to have rectified this. Important and recognizable characters such as Wario, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Olimar, and Red (Pokemon Trainer) were added. Like with Melee two retros were added (Pit and ROB), as well as a slew of promotional characters (Lucario, Ike, Toon Link). For the first time third-party characters were added as well. Most people were satisfied with this roster, and many felt that there were few, if any, more worthy additions to be made to the overall roster of Smash Bros.

Perhaps the only character that comes to mind that is an “all-star” and has not been added to Smash Bros.’s playable roster is Ridley. Ridley is argued by many to be the main antagonist of the Metroid series (though was never the final boss with the exception of the Ridley Robot in Zero Mission). Ridley is often compared to Revolver Ocelot in that despite usually never being the final boss, he is almost always shows up somewhere in Metal Gear. Samus herself calls Ridley her arch-nemesis, and is the most recognizable and re-occurring character from the Metroid series outside of Samus herself. Ridley also happened to be the most requested newcomer among the Western Smash Bros. fanbase excluding Sonic. The Metroid series has had 11 games to date, and out of those 11 games, Ridley has been in 8 of them.

To Be Continued
Play It Loud

User Info: Mr_Yooj

Mr_Yooj
9 years ago#2
Title made me thing of Avatar The Last Airbender.
Boo for U
~Super Smash U~

User Info: Vyers

Vyers
9 years ago#3
...Besides Little Mac?
Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, Portal 2, Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, Dragon Age: Origins, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Stacking

Snakey
9 years ago#4
Continued:

By comparison, most of the commonly requested characters for Smash 4 are either minor characters from A-list and B-list series or the main hero from a C-list series.

Ridley by contrast has continued to be make appearances in main Metroid installments. Even in the recently release Metroid Other M (which is not a spoilers considering he was known to be in it since its unveiling trailer back in 2009). Ridley is a being who strikes terror in even the hearts of those have seen and thought him (yes, even Samus). Ridley is even referred to as being, “The Cunning God of Death” in the Zero Mission instruction booklet. Ridley has shown himself to be on an almost magical level of coming back and that death has been more of an inconvenience for him rather than an end.

Ridley is probably Nintendo’s third most popular villain, with the only two holding more popularity being Bowser and Ganondorf. Also, unlike other Nintendo villains, Ridley has a deep personal connection with Samus, with Ridley having been the one to have orphaned Samus and murdered her parents. It was Ridley’s attack on her colony, that gave Samus the desire to become a bounty hunter, and to protect innocents from Space Pirate attacks. No other Nintendo hero probably has a deep hatred for the villain from within their own series outside of a few Fire Emblem games (probably only the Jugdral arc). Heck, in gaming in general, Ridley is unlike any other re-occurring villain (Bowser, Ganondorf, Dr. Wily, Dracula) in that Ridley usually never makes his entrance to the player at the end, but rather offers some faint “hints” that he is still there and waiting to strike at a moment when the player has forgotten about him (this is mostly evident in the Prime games).

To Be Continued
Play It Loud

Snakey
9 years ago#5
Continued:

Ridley lives up to his title as “The Cunning God of Death” in that like death, one can know of it inevitability (all people die, and in most Metroid games Ridley manifests), and like most people, humans are not sure what their demise will be just like how Samus does not know how Ridley will manifest himself in her latest mission. Like death, it can be a surprise (an accident or sudden bodily injury) or a build-up (like a terminal illness), Ridley following in the reaper’s footsteps either giving the player no indication of when he will strike, or sometimes leaving hints that he is within the player’s vicinity (such as the computer monitors with his head on it on Pirate Homeworld). Like death, Ridley can never be conquered, simply warded off for a time, eventually the reaper will call the name of mortals like how Ridley will return to torment Samus. Ridley’s sadism goes beyond that of sociopath, he is more like a force of nature, something that cannot be reasoned with, a monster, a force, that simply exists. Ridley’s continued existence is to prove to Samus that like saving your life from death’s claws, defeating Ridley is a temporary victory. At the back of Samus’s mind, does she wonder that Ridley will keep returning until he draws her last breath from her? Like death, Ridley is more than adversary for Samus, he is a part of her life and psyche, and a constant reminder of her own mortality and weakness.

Ridley despite being one of Nintendo’s iconic characters from their A-list and B-list series has yet to make a playable appearance in Smash Bros. One of the most curious things about this is not only Ridley’s massive popularity but the fact that he has been in every Smash Bros. to date. In the original, he flew in the background to the Planet Zebes stage (King Dedede had a similar role in the original Smash Bros. in which he flew in the background the Dreamland stage). Ridley appeared again in Melee’ intro fighting Samus (interestingly enough, Ridley was roughly the same size as Samus in the intro), and also appeared as a detailed trophy. Ridley was a highly requested character back during the Melee roster speculation days, however, the main excuse used by skeptics was that Metroid had been a series in long hiatus (however, defenders used the fact that two new Metroid games were on the way). Regardless, Ridley, along with many other highly requested characters (such as Warto, Diddy, Dedede, Meta Knight, Wolf, and Pit) did not get in Melee as a playable character.

However, unlike the other popular Melee suggested characters for Melee, Ridley did not make it in Brawl as a playable character. Instead, he appeared as two boss fights, had his old stomping grounds as an arena (Norfair), received two trophies, two stickers, and two remixes of his theme. Ridley, being the most requested character for Brawl, left many fans disappointed. However, Ridley soon found himself amid a crowd of minor characters from more important series and heroes from minor series in regards to competing for a spot on Smash 4’s roster. However, with the aftermath of Ridley’s boss status in Brawl came a new meme which proved to be Ridley’s greatest obstacle: “He is too big.”

There has been a great deal of apologist work done on this subject matter so I will not go particularly into detail about the inanity of it. Two important things to look at is that size has always been modified for Smash fighters. Ganondorf is usually twice the size of Link, however, in Smash, he is usually only slightly taller than him. Also, Bowser has become a giant in the main Mario series, however, he has been a playable character since Melee. Also, characters that are notable for their size such as Olimar, have also had their size changed (in series canon, Olimar is only the size of a quarter, yet in Smash he usually goes up to the knees of a lot of fighters). Not to mention, that in Melee’s intro, Ridley was given size and proportions that were similar to other fighters.

To Be Continued
Play It Loud

User Info: losst4ever

losst4ever
9 years ago#6
Ridley is not the "last" Nintendo All-Star. Thinking like that is laughable. He is an All-Star but your selling other characters short to make you character look golden. ; )

Snakey
9 years ago#7
Continued:

Regarding this issue, Sakurai (the creator and director of the Smash Bros. series) himself has commented on it. It is interesting to note, that Ridley was the only character that Sakurai has commented on regarding their absence from the roster. Here is exact text from the interview in which Sakurai commented on why Ridley was not playable in Brawl:

Nintendo Power: There was a rumor at one point about Ridley being playable. Was that ever a consideration?

Sakurai: I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]

In Sakurai’s own words he says he could have made Ridley playable if his team had put more effort into it, and considering that Sakurai’s team was pressed for time (he mentioned that he wanted to put more characters in, however, he could not do so due to time constraints). I also think Ridley was placed in as a boss primarily to give the Subspace Emissary so more star power. However, since Ridley being a boss is Smash Bros. (he has already been featured in two boss fights), is now old news, perhaps a fresher approach to Ridley in Smash Bros. would finally be a playable appearance.

Regardless, there is no one else left in the Nintendo universes that is as important and recognized as Ridley that has not been given a playable spot yet. Perhaps, the only characters that would have more star power than Ridley in regards to Smash 4’s roster would be a third-party guest newcomer such as Mega Man or Ryu. Ridley is the last Nintendo all-star to not be given a playable position. The last important character from Nintendo’s A-list series to not be playable. Other characters may be requested from these series, however, they all lack the popularity and recognition that Ridley has.

Ridley has been my most requested Smash Bros. character for almost a decade. I have wanted him in Smash Bros. ever since I saw him in the opening trailer for Melee and I have been a fan of him ever since I player Super Metroid for the first time back in 1994. Truly, I feel there are no other important additions to be made to the Smash Bros. roster aside from Ridley. The only reason I am even following Smash 4 is in the hope that Ridley will finally be made playable. I am closing in on 10 years since I wanted Ridley playable in Smash Bros. and so far Ridley has yet to make his playable debut in the Nintendo all-star franchise.

Not to mention that even fans have been able to get Ridley to fit in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyvWCMZ4s60

To Be Continued
Play It Loud

Snakey
9 years ago#8
Continued:

I am guessing that Sakurai’s next project after Kid Icarus Uprising will be Smash 4 considering that the Wii’s life cycle seems to be drawing near an end, with more and more people being curious as to when Nintendo will finally announce a successor to the Wii. Considering the DS’s life cycle was about six years, and the Wii is on a similar level of success to it. I am guessing the Wii’s successor will be released in late 2012. No doubt Nintendo will ask Sakurai to have a trailer prepared for the system’s Smash 4 in time for its announcement (though I can also see it not happening). E3 2012 could very well be the time in which we finally see Smash 4. Usually, some of the most popularly requested characters for the previous Smash game are made into playable characters for its opening unveil. With Melee it was Bowser, Peach, and Sheik. With Brawl it was Wario, Meta Knight, and Pit. What all-stars are left besides Ridley? If Ridley is not revealed as a playable character for Smash 4’s unveil, he will most likely not only be a playable character in that game, but perhaps never in the series ever. Smash 4 represents Ridley’s last chance for Smash. He has hardly any competition for spots and is by far the more recognized Nintendo character not yet playable. Ridley is the sole reason I am even anticipating a new Smash Bros. I am waiting for the last all-star, Ridley.

Thank you for your time in reading this piece, and I hope that others share my convictions about Ridley and his worth to be made playable in the next Smash Bros.

That concludes my essay about Ridley.
Play It Loud

User Info: dedekong

dedekong
9 years ago#9
Ridley was in like 1.5 seconds of melee's intro.

Just be happy he was a Boss fight....twice. Most Nintendo characters were reduced to being a sticker.. yet it will never be enough for ridley fans despite Sakurai and plenty others admitting he is far too big.

In fact, I think it's kind of contradicting that Ridley's fans would rather compromise Ridley's size and abilities just to see him playable as a weird and scaled down velociraptor like creature.

User Info: MagiusNecros

MagiusNecros
9 years ago#10
Ridley should be playable. Bunch of haters if you ask me.
Arch-Necromancer of the GILGAMESH Army
Official GILGAMESH of the Final Fantasy Type-0 Boards
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  3. Ridley: The Last Nintendo All-Star
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A