This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Bomberman the most iconic character that has a chance?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  3. Is Bomberman the most iconic character that has a chance?

User Info: Stanley_

Stanley_
4 months ago#1
With gaming icons like Snake, Sonic, Pac-Man, Ryu and Cloud Strife already in Smash, who could drum up hype for the next one?
My first choice would me Master Chief, but i doubt that will happen any time soon.
But then i thought of Bomberman, who is pretty much the face of multiplayer games, is the mascot of a company, and is relevant again now.
Is there any other character with similar credits?
I am an alternate Account, Phone Book is the lord and saviour.
*cries*

User Info: hansolomio

hansolomio
4 months ago#2
This is just an opinion, but here's the iconic characters I think are left, their chances and my reasoning:

tl;dr Yes, Bomberman has a chance

Master Chief - Unlikely due to being a Microsoft character, but possible due to who Master Chief is
Lara Croft - Slightly less unlikely, practically no history or ties with Nintendo but possible due to who Lara Croft is
Crash Bandicoot - Slighty less unlikely, possible due to who Crash Bandicoot is
Bomberman - Highly likely, one of the last third party retro icons, strong history with Nintendo
Simon Belmont - Possible, fan favorite with Nintendo history
Rayman - Leaning towards likely, strong history with Nintendo, Nintendo currently has strong ties with Ubisoft
Banjo & Kazooie - Slightly possible, interest from Phil Spencer to add them to Smash, nostalgia factor, possible good showing in the Smash Ballot
Sora - Possible, modern day icon with a rabid fan following, also might have had strong turnout in the Smash Ballot
Minecraft Steve/Guy - unlikely but possible due to being probably the most iconic character/franchise of the modern era of gaming
Doomguy - Slightly less unlikely, possible due to who Doomguy is and current relationship with Bethesda, problems stem from staying true to his violent character
A Resident Evil character - Slightly possible, one of the major Capcom IPs
Snake - Unlikely due to already being cut, but could have done well in the Smash Ballot, fan favorite
A Monster Hunter character - Likely, popular in Japan, another of Capcom's major IPs, Nintendo costumes in the MH games and MH costumes in Smash point to a good partnership
A Dragon Quest character - Leaning towards likely, another massive IP in Japan, possible drawback: lacks a recognizable protagonist
Second characters from already repped third parties (ie Chun-Li, Tails, Knuckles, Terra Branford, Zero, etc) - Unknown but leaning towards possible

User Info: 6-19-7

6-19-7
4 months ago#3
hansolomio posted...
This is just an opinion, but here's the iconic characters I think are left, their chances and my reasoning:

tl;dr Yes, Bomberman has a chance

Master Chief - Unlikely due to being a Microsoft character, but possible due to who Master Chief is
Lara Croft - Slightly less unlikely, practically no history or ties with Nintendo but possible due to who Lara Croft is
Crash Bandicoot - Slighty less unlikely, possible due to who Crash Bandicoot is
Bomberman - Highly likely, one of the last third party retro icons, strong history with Nintendo
Simon Belmont - Possible, fan favorite with Nintendo history
Rayman - Leaning towards likely, strong history with Nintendo, Nintendo currently has strong ties with Ubisoft
Banjo & Kazooie - Slightly possible, interest from Phil Spencer to add them to Smash, nostalgia factor, possible good showing in the Smash Ballot
Sora - Possible, modern day icon with a rabid fan following, also might have had strong turnout in the Smash Ballot
Minecraft Steve/Guy - unlikely but possible due to being probably the most iconic character/franchise of the modern era of gaming
Doomguy - Slightly less unlikely, possible due to who Doomguy is and current relationship with Bethesda, problems stem from staying true to his violent character
A Resident Evil character - Slightly possible, one of the major Capcom IPs
Snake - Unlikely due to already being cut, but could have done well in the Smash Ballot, fan favorite
A Monster Hunter character - Likely, popular in Japan, another of Capcom's major IPs, Nintendo costumes in the MH games and MH costumes in Smash point to a good partnership
A Dragon Quest character - Leaning towards likely, another massive IP in Japan, possible drawback: lacks a recognizable protagonist
Second characters from already repped third parties (ie Chun-Li, Tails, Knuckles, Terra Branford, Zero, etc) - Unknown but leaning towards possible

I wouldn't be so sure about Sora. Afaik he's co-owned by Disney as well, thus good luck for Nintendo to convince'em to get him in Smash.
Not a native english speaker - Post-ALBW Zelda detractor - If you're not a Metroid fan and don't give any form of support to it, you are my enemy

hansolomio
4 months ago#4

I wouldn't be so sure about Sora. Afaik he's co-owned by Disney as well, thus good luck for Nintendo to convince'em to get him in Smash.

That's fair. I probably should have given a reason for and against for all of them, but that is a major unknown factor that could hold Sora back.

User Info: Pharaoh

Pharaoh
4 months ago#5
I hope so; he's been with Nintendo longer than just about any 3rd party, and i haven't seen any distaste for him like with other characters.

Though there are some Sonic characters (Tails, Knuckles, Shadow...) that might be more well known and I'd say have fairly decent chances.
God is good; all the time. All the time; God is good.

User Info: SirRobX

SirRobX
4 months ago#6
We are missing Meowth
3DS: 3394-4061-9856 / NNID: SirRobX

User Info: PlasmaCannon

PlasmaCannon
4 months ago#7
I'd rather focus on adding long time Nintendo character requests than continue to sell out to 3rd parties.
Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember her, you are not alone.

hansolomio
4 months ago#8
PlasmaCannon posted...
I'd rather focus on adding long time Nintendo character requests than continue to sell out to 3rd parties.

Two quick questions:

When you mention long time Nintendo character requests, who are you referring to exactly?

What do you think those characters' chances are?

User Info: PlasmaCannon

PlasmaCannon
4 months ago#9
hansolomio posted...
Two quick questions:

When you mention long time Nintendo character requests, who are you referring to exactly?

What do you think those characters' chances are?

Any character a fan has been waiting years to see in Smash. Ridley and King K. Rool being the two common examples and in my case almost all of my most wanted characters aside from Inkling.

Those characters you mentioned? I'm not sure. After Smash 4s roster turn out I don't put much stock into character "chances" anymore and with 3rd parties there's no telling what kind of red tape they have attached to them. The characters I mentioned? As I said I've given up trying to deduce "chances" I just know I'm a fan of my favorites and I want them in Smash.
Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember her, you are not alone.

User Info: Eyemeralds

Eyemeralds
4 months ago#10
Ryu Hayabusa
I'll say it as much as I have to, dammit.
Probably the most iconic video game ninja.
NES hero
Part of an established fighting franchise
Nintendo has very good relations with.

Though Koei Tecmo only got Fatal Frame trophies in the game, there were three.

Also CaptainVideo for being the Wii's go-to indie series.
Fight for Smash! == https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/839-games-n-things/75480477
Look at the 128+ Roster! == https://tinyurl.com/y9g9ws27
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  3. Is Bomberman the most iconic character that has a chance?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived