This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I want to enjoy Smash Bros again but I don't know how.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  3. I want to enjoy Smash Bros again but I don't know how.

User Info: Codster

Codster
4 months ago#1
Over the years, I've found my passion for Smash Bros diminishing. I used to love love Smash Bros. I started with Smash Bros 64. I had so much fun playing with friends with the items on and just having a good time. Then things changed.

Once Melee was released, I enjoyed that game as well. But finding people to play with started to become a struggle. I also found that Smash Bros was becoming increasingly competitive. Gradually, my joy was going away. I just found no joy in playing competitively. I just like to play with items and random stages with friends and just have fun.

But alas, the competitive scene was growing. Though Brawl did have an enjoyable single player mode, that didn't return in Smash 4.

For Smash 4, I did attend a few competitive tournaments at Gamer's Rhapsody and MAGfest. I just found the experience to be a bit dull and I just couldn't connect with competitive players. I'm not trying to knock the competitive scene. I'm just saying I struggle to enjoy it.

All that having been said, what can I do? How can I enjoy Smash again?
No mess, no stress.

User Info: Phaesion

Phaesion
4 months ago#2
Find people locally to play with, I play smash with the people on campus every week.

It really makes the game that much more enjoyable...
Xbox/PSN: Phaesion - Switch: TheDoomguy - 5074-0688-5409
Currently playing: Project DIVA Future Tone DX, Resident Evil 7, DOOM

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
4 months ago#3
have you tried NOT playing competitively?

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/733/157/841.png
I'm sick of off topic threads and abusive mods.
u/Gargomon251

User Info: Doug314

Doug314
4 months ago#4
I feel the same way. The first three games were all something new and fun and different. Smash 4 is just brawl with garbage singleplayer, garbage new items, and increased competitive aspects of playing it. It doesn't really do anything very significant that's new or different from brawl and it has some of the less fun of AIs to play against. It's hard to find people to play with casually as everyone seems to just play omega stages with no items and stock matches only. Then they just camp the edges and spam projectiles. If you don't play that way, you just get eliminated. I find that boring so I just don't really like playing with most people this time around.

Honestly best ways to enjoy this 1-player are:
Smash Run & Classic Mode (if you have the 3ds version)
Home Run Contest
Training Amiibos
Or just 4-player FFA with the OP items turned off.

User Info: juicebox4

juicebox4
4 months ago#5
I mean, it's a game for playing w friends. Me and my buddy constantly find new matchups everytime we play. e.g. "Clash of the Titans" Bowser V Donkey Kong. 2 characters we normally don't use, but it ended up being such a good match that it's a staple every time we chill now.

Basically, try everyone on the roster. You'll be surprised how much fun it is.
GABBA GABBA HEY
Outta the sky, into the dirt

User Info: Pharaoh

Pharaoh
4 months ago#6
It's probably because you don't have others to play with (assuming that based on your post). Don't force yourself to try and enjoy it, take a break and try avoiding to play until you really feel in the mood for it. It's much better to spend your time doing other (important) things and when you have some friends over and are in the mood then try playing it.
Doesn't matter if you are atheist or not, if you call to Jesus with a humble mind He will answer you.

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
4 months ago#7
juicebox4 posted...
Basically, try everyone on the roster. You'll be surprised how much fun it is.

This, fighting the same character 100 times is boring as hell.
I'm sick of off topic threads and abusive mods.
u/Gargomon251

User Info: pnyhmsmx

pnyhmsmx
4 months ago#8
Honestly, try finding people locally or online that want to play casually. That's all you can do.

Gargomon251 posted...
have you tried NOT playing competitively?

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/733/157/841.png

First time I see this.
As of 08/19/2014, Masahiro Sakurai ascended into a higher plane of existence, as Hentai Sakurai.

User Info: Codster

Codster
4 months ago#9
Appreciate the replies. I just struggle with finding people to play with. I'm well aware of the For Fun online option. I suppose I could give that a try. I also do like to try using several different characters.
No mess, no stress.

User Info: RAS1003

RAS1003
4 months ago#10
I took a long break (about 4 months worth) and restarted playing last week. I haven't stopped since. :)

Try that!
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  3. I want to enjoy Smash Bros again but I don't know how.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived