This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  3. Sakurai's Exact Words Regarding Ridley:

User Info: dedekong

dedekong
6 years ago#11
Bellagio_2 posted...
UberPyro64 posted...
Ari917 posted...
dedekong posted...
Sakurai laughed because the thought of making ridley playable is hilarious to him, and he probably thought that the American/English person asking him was probably joking.

Oh, nice to meet you Sakurai, tell me, how's that cat of yours?

You can often tell how someone is thinking just by how they talk about something. It's pretty obvious that he doesn't think it would actually work.

Yeah, but you don't know for sure. Opinions also change too.

We aren't talking about an opinion changing. We're talking about that very moment. Sakurai laughed because he thought something was funny... the only subject at hand to find funny was a playable ridley. So at the time it is clear the thought of a playable ridley was hilarious. Whether it still is or isn't is irrelevant to the post I made.

User Info: Ari917

Ari917
6 years ago#12
UberPyro64 posted...
You can often tell how someone is thinking just by how they talk about something. It's pretty obvious that he doesn't think it would actually work.

Two things: 1) That comes down to interpretation. The fact that there are so many variations of interpreting this quotes means that it very ambigious to the crowd and thus we can't accurately decipher it on our own. At best, we shouldn't even discuss it since it just leads to so many breakdowns in what it could mean.

2) Even if we got the basic gist of it, pretending we know for certain what he's thinking is horribly arrogant. We don't know for certain so we can't pretend that we do know.
Official Wyvern Lord of the Awakening Board

User Info: SmallerRidley

SmallerRidley
6 years ago#13
* Ridley can't work as a playable character.
* Ridley can work as a playable character.

This is an important takeaway.
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. In NGE, Doritos are perishable goods

User Info: Gigaraver

Gigaraver
6 years ago#14
I've said this in some other Ridley topic.

That quote is taken too seriously by both sides of the argument. It's clear that Sakurai did not put much thought in that statement. He says one thing, contradicts himself immediately afterward, and makes guesses at the idea.

All we can get out of that quote is that he likely didn't put much thought into the idea at that time. That's it. No confirmation either way.
Gamertag - The Hyperdon --- {Now Playing: Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3}
Nintendo 3DS FC - [3394 - 3563 - 6616]

User Info: Scorpion122178

Scorpion122178
6 years ago#15
Gigaraver posted...
Sakurai: I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]

Okay, before I say anything else, I have to state that this quote is extremely likely the words of a person who never really put much consideration into the idea of Ridley being playable. Not because it couldn't be done, but because it just didn't occur to him. Sakurai has never really shown himself to have a good grasp of the Metroid series outside the NES version (all Metroid stages being hazard-intensive, Samus not getting a true "Super Missile" until Brawl, Kraid rising out of magma, random brains....).

Now as for the actual words of the quote, just breaking it into parts and leaving it at that will not do. Yes he says the word "impossible", but the whole statement is "I THINK it would be pretty impossible [Laughs]". Yes, even the [Laughs] is important! A person will often chuckle when they hear something odd and/or unexpected. This tells me that Sakurai just blurted out the "impossible" line without actually thinking about it.

Immediately afterward, he contradicts his first statement. This likely means at that very point he actually thought about the concept of playable Ridley. If Sakurai says "we may have been able to do it", then that's that. He does imply that it would not have been a simple task, but "impossible" no longer applied when he presented that it was possible. In the end though, his last line indicates that, while he could do it, he's not sure he could do it well.

Ultimately though.... That quote is WAAAY OVERUSED by both sides!

It's really just a reactionary statement that has little weight. It really reads like Sakurai was thinking "...Huh? Really? That's a weird idea... I guess it could be a thing?? I dunno...". It's not really worth all of this quoting and assuming.
GT: Scorpion0489
Currently playing: Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, Borderlands 2, Metro: Last Light, Fire Emblem Awakening, Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm

User Info: albertojz356

albertojz356
6 years ago#16
In Ridley's defense he said conflicting things about animal crossing too so I'd guess there's always a chance. Of course their issues are way different too.
I support my favorite Nintendo Starlets: Pauline, Palutena, Anna, Captain Syrup, and also Bayonetta for Smash Bros Wii U/3ds.

User Info: Gigaraver

Gigaraver
6 years ago#17
Scorpion122178 posted...
Gigaraver posted...

Uh, yeah..... That.... o_O
Gamertag - The Hyperdon --- {Now Playing: Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3}
Nintendo 3DS FC - [3394 - 3563 - 6616]

User Info: Ari917

Ari917
6 years ago#18
Gigaraver posted...
I've said this in some other Ridley topic.

That quote is taken too seriously by both sides of the argument. It's clear that Sakurai did not put much thought in that statement. He says one thing, contradicts himself immediately afterward, and makes guesses at the idea.

All we can get out of that quote is that he likely didn't put much thought into the idea at that time. That's it. No confirmation either way.

Agreed, btw brilliant job on explaining the issue in that quote.
Official Wyvern Lord of the Awakening Board

User Info: Scorpion122178

Scorpion122178
6 years ago#19
Gigaraver posted...
Scorpion122178 posted...
Gigaraver posted...

Uh, yeah..... That.... o_O

Behold my psychic powers for I am Mewtwo! The most powerful Pokemon ever created.
GT: Scorpion0489
Currently playing: Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, Borderlands 2, Metro: Last Light, Fire Emblem Awakening, Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm

User Info: ecylis

ecylis
6 years ago#20
He said Villager would be impossible too.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  3. Sakurai's Exact Words Regarding Ridley:
  • Topic Archived