This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  3. Sakurai's Exact Words Regarding Ridley:

User Info: MileRun

MileRun
5 years ago#1
Because these need to be made known.

Nintendo Power asked...
There was a rumor at one point about Ridley being playable. Was that ever a consideration?

Sakurai replied...
I think that would probably be impossible. [laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that have been all right? [laughs]

Source: Nintendo Power's May 2008 issue. Note that this was the same interview in which Sakurai claimed that Animal Crossing was a series "where there aren't really any characters that lend themselves to fighting."

Takeaways:
* As of 2008, Sakurai thought that it would be impossible to make Ridley playable.
* Despite that, Sakurai thought that Ridley can be made playable with a lot of effort.
* The most notable limitation Sakurai could think of that was holding Ridley back was that he's too slow.

Conclusions:
* Ridley can't work as a playable character.
* Ridley can work as a playable character.
* Size isn't a pressing issue. It's the speed that counts.
I claim to be the official Porygon2 of the Pokemon Black 2 board.
Scientist MileRun: WaRy associate

User Info: ItsKaljinyuTime

ItsKaljinyuTime
5 years ago#2
Why does Sakurai always laugh at people's dreams?
Kaljinyu

User Info: Noctus3

Noctus3
5 years ago#3
The latter information of your source quote shows that even if at one point they couldn't be in, that can change.
**** you SE for trolling us with that TWEWY port. I hate you.

User Info: Bellagio_2

Bellagio_2
5 years ago#4
Can you people stop already. Stop taking everything so literal.
Users that don't know what the word "troll" means or lack intelligence: Too many to list.

User Info: dedekong

dedekong
5 years ago#5
Sakurai laughed because the thought of making ridley playable is hilarious to him, and he probably thought that the American/English person asking him was probably joking.

User Info: Ari917

Ari917
5 years ago#6
dedekong posted...
Sakurai laughed because the thought of making ridley playable is hilarious to him, and he probably thought that the American/English person asking him was probably joking.

Oh, nice to meet you Sakurai, tell me, how's that cat of yours?
Official Wyvern Lord of the Awakening Board

Bellagio_2
5 years ago#7
dedekong posted...

Wow I mean I wish I could read minds too.
Users that don't know what the word "troll" means or lack intelligence: Too many to list.

User Info: UberPyro64

UberPyro64
5 years ago#8
Exactly why I think Ridley will never be playable.
Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U Official Site: http://www.smashbros.com/us/

User Info: UberPyro64

UberPyro64
5 years ago#9
Ari917 posted...
dedekong posted...

You can often tell how someone is thinking just by how they talk about something. It's pretty obvious that he doesn't think it would actually work.
Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U Official Site: http://www.smashbros.com/us/

Bellagio_2
5 years ago#10
UberPyro64 posted...
Ari917 posted...
dedekong posted...

You can often tell how someone is thinking just by how they talk about something. It's pretty obvious that he doesn't think it would actually work.

Yeah, but you don't know for sure. Opinions also change too.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  3. Sakurai's Exact Words Regarding Ridley:
  • Topic Archived