• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mario Party 9
  3. New Issue of N-ZONE Describes Mini-games and More

User Info: GenesisOne

GenesisOne
8 years ago#1
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&langpair=de|en&u=http://www.videogameszone.de/N-ZONE-Brands-68140/News/N-ZONE-03-2012-Mario-Party-9-im-Test-alles-zu-Kid-Icarus-und-fetter-Mario-Retro-Report-867653/

The website has a few scans of some of the pages in the new issue. Access the scans here: http://www.videogameszone.de/N-ZONE-Brands-68140/News/N-ZONE-03-2012-Mario-Party-9-im-Test-alles-zu-Kid-Icarus-und-fetter-Mario-Retro-Report-867653/galerie/1626652/ . Use the right and left arrows on the sides to flip through the scans. If anyone here knows German and can point out if there is any new information given, I know that I, as well as others I'm sure, would greatly appreciate it. One thing that I would especially like to know is why there is an image of Mario Party 2 included as part of the spread on Mario Party 9.

User Info: SuperZambezi

SuperZambezi
8 years ago#2
Translated the pros and cons with Google Translate. :P

Pros:
•Exciting to the end
•Much higher tempo
•Amusing Mini-games
•Finally, in 16:9 ratio
•Computer opponents optional

Cons:
•Inconsequential for free games
•Alone still desert
•Carnival-like music

I'll try do some more translations here: http://mariopartylegacy.com/2012/02/scans-and-review-from-n-zone/
Latest Mario Party 9 News and Videos: www.mariopartylegacy.com
Mario Party Legacy Forum : www.mariopartylegacy.com/forum

User Info: Externica

Externica
8 years ago#3
I'm german.
First: No, I will not translate the entire article to english.
Second: Yes, I'll give you every information I can find that is new or sounds interesting.

*starts reading*
Grafic is said to be better and there's a real 16:9-View.
Also, the Remote Control is said to be a lot smoother.
A minimum of loading times. Said that you won'T notice them.
Minigames where you'll win by chance are "almost no more". Maybe there's one luck based minigame, but this game lacks them. Woohoo!

Unlockable Boards and Player Characters. (More than before)
You can collect points to spend in some kind of shop to unlock stuff, it seems. New vehicles for the board. Sadky, there's useless stuff, too. Unlocking Zodiacs that look somehow like Nintendo Characters, fireworks must be paid extra.

About the shown miniganes, the names are mostly puns and to hard for me to translate.

Gegen den Pfeil
An arrow is shown and you need to tilt the remote in the opposite direction. The tester would have liked to push buttons instead.

Wegelagerei (No pun, but I lack the vocabulary to translate this)
Single player needs to carry three blocks to the other side. The team tries to stop Single, by pushing boulders down. Said to be much fun - when playing with friends, of course.

Steinblockschlag
We have seen this kind of game in older Mario Parties, right? Avoid the blocks that come falling down from above.

Wettlauf ins All
The screenshot says it all, there's a cursor. Button mashing when the cursor is at the area of the buttons, waggling during the last part.

Fiesband
Everyone starts at random places inside a maze. Which is filled with conveyor belts. With this obstacles, you need to find your way to the center of the maze.

Grafitti Geballer
The screen explains it all. The one who has more paint of his or her colour at the wall wins.

The last side is about how Mario Party was in the past (MP2 was taken as an example, probably because it's on the VC. It stands for the entire series before MP9. I try to translate.

Old problems in the series:
CPU-Turns can't be skipped
Screen was 4:3, a 16:9 TV had black... ehrm... "things" in the way.
Buying items at shops slows the game down.
The lenth of a game varies. It could be 30 minutes or three hours long.
You know too soon who'll win, because of the stars the players own. Coins are useless and only there to trade them for stars.

Could remove MP9 those problems?
All players are inside the same car - whatever happens, it happens to everyone.
The tempo has been nested.
16:9 in all modes, unlike MP8.
You'll receive items without time being lost.
One game lasts about 45 minutes and rules can't be changed.
The mini stars you collect are the only currency in the game, which makes the game more exciting.

That's about it, the article is just a preview.

Pro:
Exciting
Faster
Fun minigames
16:9
AI controlled players are optional (sorry, don't know what they mean by that. We can play without AI controlled players? Need to wait for a review)

Cons
Unlockables are boring and useless
Playing this game alone is boring
Music sounds like you're on a funfair

Sadly, there is no score shown, it has been blurred out.

And... that's about it.

@superzambezi
Never, ever use a google translator. It has the habbit to mess the original text up. A lot.
Like, the first Con isn't about free games, but the stuff you can unlock.
Other than that, I'm amazed how well this translation is. oO

User Info: Daisyfanboy

Daisyfanboy
8 years ago#4
Soo... all the cons are problems the old ones had anyways?
So I'm still waiting for Daisy to reappear in something that's not a spinoff.
I'll probably end up dying first or something but optimism is fun.

User Info: Externica

Externica
8 years ago#5
Daisyfanboy posted...

Oh, you havn't play Mario Party before? (Out of curiousity.)
If not, MP6 was fun, though MP8 isn't bad either. Don't like 4 and 5, though and seven... was disappointing compared to 6.

About your question:
Well... the unlockables in MP6 to 8 wern't that interesting either.
You could unlock new game modes, brutal difficulty and one or two secret characters. Nice things to have.
But you can forget the rest. Like the pages in MP6, the souvenirs in MP7 and those "trophies" in MP8.
Also, MP8 alowed you to buy minigames you havn't unlocked yet by playing Multi or Single. Though you needed to play through Single Player in order to unlock the minigame shop. Also, the secret characters are unlocked by playing Single Player at least twice.

Mario Party playing alone... well, it is a pure Multiplayer, so of course it's no fun to play it all alone. The old games had the same problem. So, it is nothing new.

And the music, as far as I know, the game never got praise for its music.

So, yes, the cons are problems the older games had, too.
As far as I understand MP9 has more problems with its unlockables, though. :/
The testers talk about some kind of store to unlock things, but they don't talk about unlocking new boards and characters by using that store. So, I assume you need to play "Single Player" to unlock them (boards and characters).
But the text doesn't go into detail.

User Info: Daisyfanboy

Daisyfanboy
8 years ago#6
No, I have, but like you said, MP6-8 didn't have many good unlockables, music isn't fantastic, and it's meant for multiplayer.
So I'm still waiting for Daisy to reappear in something that's not a spinoff.
I'll probably end up dying first or something but optimism is fun.

User Info: Mariofan15

Mariofan15
8 years ago#7

Daisyfanboy posted...

If not, MP6 was fun, though MP8 isn't bad either. Don't like 4 and 5, though and seven... was disappointing compared to 6.

About your question:
You could unlock new game modes, brutal difficulty and one or two secret characters. Nice things to have.
But you can forget the rest. Like the pages in MP6, the souvenirs in MP7 and those "trophies" in MP8.
Also, MP8 alowed you to buy minigames you havn't unlocked yet by playing Multi or Single. Though you needed to play through Single Player in order to unlock the minigame shop. Also, the secret characters are unlocked by playing Single Player at least twice.

Mario Party playing alone... well, it is a pure Multiplayer, so of course it's no fun to play it all alone. The old games had the same problem. So, it is nothing new.

The testers talk about some kind of store to unlock things, but they don't talk about unlocking new boards and characters by using that store. So, I assume you need to play "Single Player" to unlock them (boards and characters).
But the text doesn't go into detail.

I beg to differ. I have fun playing by myself.
National Pokedex Completed:10/23/2011
Pokemon White FC:1979-2643-0071

User Info: TMoosuT

TMoosuT
8 years ago#8

[quoted text][quoted text]

About your question:

But the text doesn't go into detail.[quoted text]

I beg to differ. I have fun playing by myself.

Same lol, back then I use to play with friends, but now it's just me and my boredom time. MP can help save the boredom when I'm in the mood for it.
http://i.imgur.com/j2igx.gif
http://i.imgur.com/JxLb0.png

User Info: GenesisOne

GenesisOne
8 years ago#9
Externica posted...
I'm german.
First: No, I will not translate the entire article to english.
Second: Yes, I'll give you every information I can find that is new or sounds interesting.

I didn't expect you or anyone else to. You did what I hoped, which was read through the text and take note of what appeared to be new details. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

User Info: ShikanRaider

ShikanRaider
8 years ago#10
Externica posted...
Sadly, there is no score shown, it has been blurred out.

They gave 75% for the SP and 85% for the MP.
Now Playing: Queen's Gate: Spiral Chaos (PSP), Sengoku Basara 3 Utage (PS3)
  1. Boards
  2. Mario Party 9
  3. New Issue of N-ZONE Describes Mini-games and More
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A