• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fortune Street
  3. Modding Question/Challenge: Extend the District Limit?

User Info: Mimi13

Mimi13
9 months ago#1
When looking at the board editing scene, I've always wondered: why can't you add districts between M and P? Obviously the surface answer is, "because doing that breaks the game," I've seen Ozzy Mandice's video on that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv-yqrX8JsA

But I wanna go deeper. Why does it break the game? Even though the game is using a 4-bit integer to store districts (seeing as how it loops back around to District A after District P in the video, it seems as though the district value overflows at that point, suggesting a 4-bit integer), the game stops working after District L, not District P as one would expect. This raises two questions. The first being, "How come the game breaks when adding Districts M through P? What is going on that makes the game unable to handle districts it should be able to store?" and the second being, "Is it possible to fix that? Is it possible that through clever modding one can make a patched version of the game, that can handle up to 16 districts on a board?"

Unfortunately I don't know a whole lot about coding so I can't really investigate this too much. If someone else has any insight on the topic, I'd love to see it!
Let's give it everything we've got!
It's punishment time!

User Info: FamiliarRelic

FamiliarRelic
9 months ago#2
I don't have an exact answer since I haven't delved into most of the game's code, but my guess is that it's like you said, a 4-bit integer (Probably to save on space, and they didn't intend on people adding more districts). A-L have designated colors assigned by hex values, so that's presumably why M-P glitch out. If it were an 8-bit integer, then there would be a lot more space for districts. I'm unsure if you can change that, but you probably could if you were to dig through the code and stare at it long enough to change things around.

There's also an error that comes up when you add too many tiles (I believe 81 or 82 is the max), and I assume that the files are allotted a certain amount of space (And going above that crashes the game). It's the same thing with music, there's a max size you can have and then after that the game refuses to launch. I've also heard there's an error where running boards with more tiles than the original on actual hardware crashes the game, but I haven't tested that out myself. Whether any of that can be changed is beyond me.

I'm far from a programming expert, so I could've gotten a few details wrong, but that's my best guess as to why they don't work. Hope I helped!
(message deleted)

User Info: Mimi13

Mimi13
9 months ago#4
FamiliarRelic posted...
I don't have an exact answer since I haven't delved into most of the game's code, but my guess is that it's like you said, a 4-bit integer (Probably to save on space, and they didn't intend on people adding more districts). A-L have designated colors assigned by hex values, so that's presumably why M-P glitch out. If it were an 8-bit integer, then there would be a lot more space for districts. I'm unsure if you can change that, but you probably could if you were to dig through the code and stare at it long enough to change things around.
So, it one were to assign 4 more colors for Districts M-P, it would be possible to create a board with 16 districts? I didn't imagine it would be that simple...

There's also an error that comes up when you add too many tiles (I believe 81 or 82 is the max), and I assume that the files are allotted a certain amount of space (And going above that crashes the game). It's the same thing with music, there's a max size you can have and then after that the game refuses to launch. I've also heard there's an error where running boards with more tiles than the original on actual hardware crashes the game, but I haven't tested that out myself. Whether any of that can be changed is beyond me.
The board editor manual from this board says that the limit is actually 85 tiles, but since I have a Mac computer I can't verify for myself. (https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/632973-fortune-street/77831993/936605506)
Regardless I think you're right about the tile limit. Honestly I'm not concerned about extending it right now, as no board with 86+ tiles is going to be decent to play on with only 12 districts to work with.

I'm far from a programming expert, so I could've gotten a few details wrong, but that's my best guess as to why they don't work. Hope I helped!
Don't worry about it, adding to the discussion even if you have details wrong is valuable
Let's give it everything we've got!
It's punishment time!
  1. Boards
  2. Fortune Street
  3. Modding Question/Challenge: Extend the District Limit?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A