So I played the updated Razor's Edge at the WiiU event today...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
  3. So I played the updated Razor's Edge at the WiiU event today...

User Info: Dracozombie

Dracozombie
6 years ago#1
Ask me anything.

I'm debating whether or not to write another NG3 article, detailing the changes that are apparent in the current build. It is actually improved over the E3 version, which is very interesting.

Yes, Ayane was playable.

Noticeable differences -

There are new combo branches for all of Ryu's basic weapons, so it doesn't feel like a cheap copy-paste of the NG2 weapons. The Lunar is shorter and more staff-like than the flail-styled combo machine it was in NG2. It still has bloody fast combos, though, and some of the newer branches are damn useful. The Blade of the Archfiend has a cool "quick drop", whereby pressing light-strong-strong attacks result in an quick Underworld Drop. Sexy.

The new abilities given to Ryu change-up the free-form possibilities nicely. The Cicada Surge (teleport counter) is much easier to perform now. He has a new 360 shuriken attack, and while it doesn't do much damage, it can be canceled into at virtually any time. It's really sweet. The hitbox for the guillotine throws are still finicky, so the move isn't as useful as it used to be.

The Grip of Murder works differently. Rather than slowing Ryu down and forcing him to fight with a limited moveset against slow, stupid enemies, Ryu is transported to an ethereal mental arena, where his health is constantly being drained. Killing enemies will restore his HP, so Ryu kill enemies quickly and constantly to offset the HP loss. The one in the demo is actually quite challenging, as it pits you against several waves of BS Ninja.

The TAC Ninja are back (the ones with the Uzis).

They added wall-damage, so knocking or throwing an enemy against the wall does damage and stuns them again.

Ayane plays like her Sigma 2 counterpart, but with modified combos and heavy-attack charges. Her incendiary shuriken come out very fast, so you can end combos (or open combos) with them very effectively. Her short attack reach makes it very hard to chain SOB finishers.

Some enemies are much easier to SOB than others, and the demo makes this apparent. Terrorist Grunts are by far the easiest to SOB. Dagger-wielding heavies too, but their grab has invulnerability, so missing the SOB counter will damn-near always get you grabbed. Kukri/beret mercenaries are next in terms of ease. Black Spider Ninjas have quick grabs, and the SOB window is much tighter as a result. And I couldn't SOB any alchemists at all - I'm not even sure you can.

Speaking of Alchemists, the ones in the trailer actually fought with sabers and used the Regent'd combo movelist. They show up in Ayane's chapter as a boss (three of them). They aren't as evasive or defensive as the Regent, but they're difficult to manage, as two will always assault you while the third chips at you with magic. Fu stuff.

Costumes are in. You buy them in the skill menu the same way you upgrade Ninpo, weapons and skills (with Karma). From what I saw, the costumes are expensive as all poop (3 million Karma a pop). I saw, Classic Blue, Fiend Ryu and Muscle Dragon as costume options. I think Ayane had more, but I can't remember the names. Sorry.

Crystal Skulls and Scarabs are back. I don't know that they do, though.

Kunai Climbing is still in. And it still sucks.

I learned that players can replay any chapter with either character. So players can take Ayane's chapters on as Ryu, and vice-versa, upon replay.

Ask away.
http://thegaminggab.blogspot.com/

User Info: youngbro

youngbro
6 years ago#2
do UTs still feel automatic?

can the flying swallow insta-kill?

does ryu do a crazy long UT combo or still teleport to each enemy killing them instantly.

how to the enemies fight you, do they spam grabs or actually fight you?

the baret guys with the daggers, do they still non-stop throw kunai until they get to you?

Do the combos feel like NGS2 or do they still got that NG3 hold heavy to continue your combo.

how does ninpo work? Is the Nuke dragon still in the game?

do you still gotta keep fighting until the wave is over to get health or are there items to refill health?

are there any natural items at all? (key items, health items, etc)

how long was ayane's chapter?

Do you still got to mash buttons to finish steel on bone and/or forced in-game scenes where you have to kill someone to move ahead.

can you skip fights or are you forced to fight everything?

Are wall moves useable? (do they actually do something like chop a limb off,etc)
Darkness is power. Offer your soul or I will Izuna Drop you
PSN and XBL - TheSchwarr

User Info: merny

merny
6 years ago#3
are the ayane missions part of the main campaign or are they more like side missions like the aida missions from re4? being forced to play as the girls in sigma 2, especially on master ninja mode was frustrating as hell.

User Info: lowuw

lowuw
6 years ago#4
That's awesome how you can play as Ayane or Ryu on their stages. Do you know if the stages are different from PS3/360 version? Also did the graphics look better from the last time you played it?

Dracozombie
6 years ago#5
youngbro posted...
do UTs still feel automatic?

It feels no different than it did in NG3. It's more of a combo than a cheesy SOB animation, which is an improvement, of course. And it can miss easily if the first strike doesn't connect. I missed at least three UT's during my playthroughs.

can the flying swallow insta-kill?

It isn't a grab anymore, if that's what your asking. There's a chance that the FS will decapitate (like in NG2) instantly killing the targeted enemy.

does ryu do a crazy long UT combo or still teleport to each enemy killing them instantly.

The UT is a combo this time around. It still teleports him to the nearest enemy, and it's essentially a guaranteed kill if it connects. But as I said, it does miss.

how to the enemies fight you, do they spam grabs or actually fight you?

Not really. Because the Steel-on-Bone mechanic is tied to the grab system (SOB is a grab-counter), enemies grab much less. If they spammed grabs all the time, they'd leave themselves vulnerable to an SOB. They will still use them, but it isn't the grab-cheese-fest that NG3 on Master and Ultimate Ninja was.

the baret guys with the daggers, do they still non-stop throw kunai until they get to you?

There was only one beret mercenary in the demo (Ayane's mission). I can't really say for sure how spammy they are with their throwing knives, but the one in the demo never used any.

Do the combos feel like NGS2 or do they still got that NG3 hold heavy to continue your combo.

It feels like a cross between the two. You still hold strong to extend combos, but there are enough combos for each weapon that you don't need to use the charge system. I played with the Lunar and dual katana without charging anything, and it felt perfectly fine. The single katana (Blade of the Archfiend in the demo) made the most use of the charge mechanic, but the charging is fast. Literally a split second. It feels speedy and responsive.

how does ninpo work? Is the Nuke dragon still in the game?

Same as in NG2. No dragon that I can see. Wind blades, Piercing Void and Inferno function exactly as they did previously.

do you still gotta keep fighting until the wave is over to get health or are there items to refill health?

No items that I can see. You still use Ninpo and Save Points to heal. There's a power-up you can buy that increases your max health, but that seems like a one-time purchase.

are there any natural items at all? (key items, health items, etc)

Not that I could tell. In the E3 demo, you collect a Golden Scarab by walking over it. It's added to your counter on the Gamepad, and you get an instant Karma bonus for picking it up (5000, I believe). There aren't any key items, pick-ups or power-ups that I could see.

how long was ayane's chapter?

No idea how long the actual mission is. The demo version was relatively short, so you only fight through a few rooms. There's the about four rooms you fight through - two plazas full of grunts, heavies and rocket terrorists, a shopping arcade with grunts and the beret mercenary, and an enclosed plaza with waves of grunts, TAC ninja, and alchemist warriors. I got through it in... I dunno. Ten minutes? I can only assume (hope) that the full mission is longer.

Dracozombie
6 years ago#6
youngbro posted...

Do you still got to mash buttons to finish steel on bone and/or forced in-game scenes where you have to kill someone to move ahead.

Such scenes were not in the demo, so I don't know. Steel on bone requires an additional button press to chain, but the overall mechanic is more precise, so you can simply not use it if you don't want to

can you skip fights or are you forced to fight everything?

I skipped a fight and froze the game. So... I don't think you're meant to skip fights.

Are wall moves useable? (do they actually do something like chop a limb off,etc)

They're effectiveness varies. I personally didn't find them very useful in NG2, and I feel that NG3 is not very different. They're great for breaking up enemy clusters, but they weren't particularly overpowering, either.

merny posted...
are the ayane missions part of the main campaign or are they more like side missions like the aida missions from re4? being forced to play as the girls in sigma 2, especially on master ninja mode was frustrating as hell.

Seems like they're part of the main storyline, so you'll be forced to play them at some point. If it's any consolation, Ayane's chapter was easier than Ryu's. His Grip of Murder fight is tough.

lowuw posted...
That's awesome how you can play as Ayane or Ryu on their stages. Do you know if the stages are different from PS3/360 version? Also did the graphics look better from the last time you played it?

Ayane's chapter takes place in Paris, so that's new. Ryu's is in Japan, so that didn't hold any surprises for me.

User Info: NinjaPwnageRedo

NinjaPwnageRedo
6 years ago#7
First off thanks as always for info.

I'm assuming Ryu's demo was Day 5, was it any different from NG3 level design wise. Like more platforming hidden areas etc, or is it the same linear game with no exploration?

And I'm also wondering if you remember charging up a UT by only holding the heavy attack down without any kills like in NGB and NG2, or is it just single slash like in NG3?
NinjaPwnage + Redo = Because I lost my account.

User Info: youngbro

youngbro
6 years ago#8
i forgot to ask the most important question

How is the camera?
Darkness is power. Offer your soul or I will Izuna Drop you
PSN and XBL - TheSchwarr

Dracozombie
6 years ago#9
NinjaPwnageRedo posted...
First off thanks as always for info.

I'm assuming Ryu's demo was Day 5, was it any different from NG3 level design wise. Like more platforming hidden areas etc, or is it the same linear game with no exploration?

And I'm also wondering if you remember charging up a UT by only holding the heavy attack down without any kills like in NGB and NG2, or is it just single slash like in NG3?

It was indeed Day 5. Same linear level that I could tell. In all honestly, I didn't look, though. If I had more time I would have done some more exploring and such to find any hidden paths, but I didn't think to at the time.

Holding the heavy attack button does not result in a UT. You can only UT after kills (when your weapon glows red), exactly like in NG3.

Dracozombie
6 years ago#10
youngbro posted...
i forgot to ask the most important question

How is the camera?

Y'know, I don't really know. I can't say I had any issue with it, but centering the camera in a Ninja Gaiden game has become second nature for me. I may have been centering it subconsciously without realizing it as I fought.
  1. Boards
  2. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
  3. So I played the updated Razor's Edge at the WiiU event today...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived