This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
  3. This game no longer works on original 3DS systems

User Info: fettster777

fettster777
6 months ago#1
TL:DR I'm thinking either the last firmware interfers with the game or the 1.1.7 Smash update interferes with the latest system firmware.

I used to play this game all the time on my original 3DS and it worked flawlessly. I haven't played in years but got the itch yesterday and booted it up. Saw there was both a 3DS and Smash update and updated them both. Launched the game, it launched fine, and even decided to buy Cloud in the DLC shop. (I'll be asking my CC to reimburse me on that). Everything appears to work fine until I select my character. Either three things happen.

1. It completely freezes immediately and I have to hard reset.

2. It lets me pick a stage but then "freezes" on the loading screen. The match just never starts and the load icon spins forever.

3. It lets me in the match but freezes at some point during. It only let me in the match ONE time after about 25 tries, but froze midway.

Never had these issues until those updates. I thought maybe the SD card was corrupted but literally everything else on the system, every other 3DS game, even digital ones work fine.

My copy of Smash is physical. I even uninstalled and reinstalled all Extra and DLC data and tried to play the game and still got all the problems. In fact without the latest update the game won't boot at all.

While searching around the web I've seen many other players with these issues. On official Nintendo forums Nintendo just says the cartridge is faulty, but I've kept it in its case on a shelf untouched for years and it worked perfectly when last touched. No, this is a firmware issue.

Since SSBU has been the focus for a while now I don't think there will ever be a fix for us original 3DS owners with this issue. I'm not sure if this affects 3DS XL or later players.
(edited 6 months ago)

User Info: mothballs

mothballs
4 months ago#2
very weird

it should work but it takes MUCH longer to load- even on the latest firmware.

the only thing the last update did was made DLC amiibos useable.
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: ReducedShark342

ReducedShark342
3 months ago#3
I have the physical copy of the game and i play it all the time on my mom's 3ds (it is the original 3ds) without any issues.

Edit: i don't have any dlc, and i have amiibo but i have no amiibo adapter.
FC(Nintendo Switch): SW-8042-8525-4329
Username: P1KACHU99
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: Mofiebrown

Mofiebrown
2 months ago#4
How odd. I had a similar problem with mine. Physical copy of smash and original 3ds. It was giving me an error message and shutting my 3ds down, I couldn't even get to the menu. What I did was rolled back the update and then redownloaded it. I don't know why but it worked, I recently had the same problem with pokemon moon.

User Info: ReducedShark342

ReducedShark342
2 months ago#5
Mofiebrown posted...
How odd. I had a similar problem with mine. Physical copy of smash and original 3ds. It was giving me an error message and shutting my 3ds down, I couldn't even get to the menu. What I did was rolled back the update and then redownloaded it. I don't know why but it worked, I recently had the same problem with pokemon moon.
Do you have a modded/hacked 3ds cause that might be the problem
FC(Nintendo Switch): SW-8042-8525-4329
Username: P1KACHU99

User Info: fettster777

fettster777
2 days ago#6
ReducedShark342 posted...
Do you have a modded/hacked 3ds cause that might be the problem

No, its not modded. I let my friend borrow and it doesn't work on his 3DS either so I just tossed it. I don't know what happened with the game. A shame really.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
  3. This game no longer works on original 3DS systems
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A