This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
  3. Question about DLC characters

User Info: Yeong-Tae

Yeong-Tae
1 month ago#1
Ok, so I got this game for my daughter from a used store. After playing a little while, she said she wanted to play from the start so that she could unlock the characters herself, so we deleted the save data (per hitting all 4 buttons when starting the game). But after we did that, she told me that before we did that, all the DLC characters had been unlocked....and now of course they aren’t and it looks like we have to buy them if we want them again.

But I’m wondering, I thought the DLC would’ve been tied to the previous owner’s Nintendo account/SD card data. Was my daughter just mistaken? Or did we just waste a golden opportunity to get the DLC for free?
Korean, living in Japan, and an avid gamer for 30 years.

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
1 month ago#2
If the characters aren't there on a new save file of the same card, then yes, you need to have it connected to your eshop account, in which case you're out of luck, sorry. The 3ds game DOES save on the card itself (aside from replay data etc). though I never tried putting my card in another 3ds that doesnt have the dlc (didnt want to risk losing anything)

That said, I'd recommend getting ultimate instead, but you probably don't have a nintendo switch.
"No point in having two characters that are pretty much carbon copies. Am I right?" - Viridi
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Yeong-Tae

Yeong-Tae
1 month ago#3
Thanks for the reply!

Everywhere I looked, it seemed like it wasn't possible to have the DLC unless you had bought them yourself - I saw one post from a person asking if he sold his game with all DLC, would the next person be able to use it (exactly our situation, I think) and the answer was mostly "no." So...maybe my daughter just thought she had those characters but actually didn't????

We're getting a Switch in the upcoming months, so we'll get Ultimate and then the 3DS won't be as important, so we most likely won't buy the DLC characters "again" anyway. Oh well... there's no way to confirm if we actually had those DLC characters or not, since I didn't even think to look before deleting the save for her. She didn't know who any of them except Mewtwo were anyway, so I guess it's not too big of a deal....it's just hard for me to swallow the idea that I just POSSIBLY deleted $35 worth of free DLC. lol
Korean, living in Japan, and an avid gamer for 30 years.

User Info: Marley117

Marley117
2 weeks ago#4
She was probably referring to the unlockable characters that show up as you play the game and she probably noticed because the previous owner most likely unlocked all the characters and when you reset the game she noticed that a lot if the characters were missing

User Info: mothballs

mothballs
1 day ago#5
I'd recommend CFWing the game just to play with the DLC if you can't afford over Ultimate.

the DLC characters are awesome in this game- a little more power/less endlag in moves then their newer counterparts
(edited 1 day ago)

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
1 day ago#6
mothballs posted...
CFWing

what
"No point in having two characters that are pretty much carbon copies. Am I right?" - Viridi
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
  3. Question about DLC characters