This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
  3. I just had a 25 hour smash (with amiibos, for grinding the 50 hour challenge)

User Info: JonnyBoyFF

JonnyBoyFF
3 months ago#1
I'm just going to share this in case someone looks into an easy way to grind for hours in the future.

So first, obviously, it's best just to play the game for 50 hours to finish the challenge as intended. The problem is that all of my friends (and myself, mostly), have moved onto Smash Ultimate, so I don't have anyone to play with. Internet battles don't interest me much. I just finished grinding Smash Runs for a month to get the last of the custom moves. The fact is, there was so much to do in this game that it kept me plenty busy even outside of the main smash mode. I'm tired of grinding away and I just want to wrap up the 50 hours challenge.
For those that don't want to, well, that's the reason why we have Golden Hammers. But I haven't used a hammer yet, and I don't intend to at this point.

So, I decided to put my amiibo to work. At least, I'd maybe get some equipment out of the deal. Here's how I set it up...

The only items were...
-all of the healing items
-star man
-the 1-up special flag
-back shield
-franklin badge (was unneeded since there were few projectiles)
-metal box (not entirely sure if it delayed as many KOs as it assisted)
-sandbag

Set to 0.5 damage, 99 stock, no time limit, custom characters on.
Set the stage to the boxing ring.
You need to have a human in the match to accrue time, so I used a custom Ganondorf with all defense equipment.
The amiibos were all completely refreshed at level 1. I chose Jigglypuff, Kirby, and MegaMan.

Plug the 3DS in and ideally leave it somewhere cool with plenty of airflow. It did get a bit warm at one point. I'm planning to replace my battery soon anyway, so you might leave such a task for the end of your 3DS battery lifespan too.

So here are my results and observations. I started a stopwatch when the match began. Somewhere between hour 5 and hour 6, they had finished off Ganondorf. All of the amiibos had made it to level 50 by now. About 3.5 hours later, MegaMan died. Nearly 15.5 hours later, Jigglypuff finally finished Kirby off. Nearly 25 hours were added to my total smash time.

Kirby amiibo received 20 rewards: 6 trophies, 2 custom moves, 2 headgear, 9 equipment, and coins (1539)
Jigglypuff amiibo received 18 rewards: 4 trophies, 1 custom move, 1 headgear, 11 equipment, and coins (1539, also)
MegaMan amiibo received 19 rewards: 9 trophies, 1 custom move, 8 equipment, and coins (1283 coins)

Considering that Jiggly and Kirby stuck around long after MegaMan, you can see that there seem to be diminishing returns with the rewards. Many short matches will yield far more rewards than a long one like this. Still, it was more of a reward than just letting a regular CPU do the fight, and if they hadn't been improving, then I'm not sure if the match would have ended yet.

Jigglypuff actually ended with over 80 or 90 remaining stock. The 1up flags were always fought after. The last few hours, Kirby would go back and fourth between around 3 remaining stock and 8 or so remaining. I actually began to worry that they could conceivably be obtaining lives more efficiently than KOs, and the match might never end.

Kirby had obtained 240 extra lives, Jigglypuff obtained 306, and MegaMan only got an extra 71 lives.
The flag definitely was the key to making this last so long.
Life's too short to hate! Let's band together!
Become immortal Before it's too late!
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: nessspampkfire

nessspampkfire
3 months ago#2
was there any reason you used amiibo instead of Ai at lv1
Switch FC-4593-5856-7004
Congratulations @gaming_player for winning my 99 stock death match prediction competition.

User Info: JonnyBoyFF

JonnyBoyFF
3 months ago#3
Simply because I had them, and because I could get a small extra reward when they finished. With lvl 1 cpu, it might even take longer.
Life's too short to hate! Let's band together!
Become immortal Before it's too late!

nessspampkfire
3 months ago#4
JonnyBoyFF posted...
Simply because I had them, and because I could get a small extra reward when they finished. With lvl 1 cpu, it might even take longer.

I’m thinking of doing this in ultimate with all lv1 cpu, but they might not try to get the special flags
Switch FC-4593-5856-7004
Congratulations @gaming_player for winning my 99 stock death match prediction competition.

nessspampkfire
3 months ago#5
nessspampkfire posted...
JonnyBoyFF posted...

I’m thinking of doing this in ultimate with all lv1 cpu, but they might not try to get the special flags

Maybe I could put stamina on 999
Switch FC-4593-5856-7004
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
  3. I just had a 25 hour smash (with amiibos, for grinding the 50 hour challenge)