This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
  3. Super Smash Bros. Online Lag FAQ V2

User Info: KangXi

KangXi
4 years ago#1
Q. I'm experiencing a lot of lag while playing Super Smash Bros. for 3DS online. Is there any official word regarding this?

A. Sure! Lead Director/Developer of the Smash Bros. Series, Masahiro Sakurai, shed some light on this in a recent interview. He stated:

Connectivity can depend heavily on location so I really don’t know what to say. At the very least, we’ve confirmed that smooth play is possible under various conditions of external networks. During multi-player, you’re connected with another player and sending light amounts of data back and forth, so if the game feels laggy, it’s due to the connection speed. If you play when it’s laggy, then the person you’re playing with will experience the same lag, so it’s best to play when the connection is clear. During development, there were cases where we had too many people and the connection became sluggish, so we turned off our cell phones and the connection would clear up. It’s best to avoid playing while streaming something or by a tethered connection. Free wi-fi spots are probably not very good either.

Q. I play X, Y & Z online and don't experience much lag. Why am I lagging in Super Smash Bros.?

A. There are many factors to explain why you could be lagging.

First, X, Y & Z could be server-based games while Super Smash Bros. is peer-to-peer based. What that means is that in a server-based game, the experience you get while playing depends entirely on your connection to the server. Usually a commercial-grade server will be powerful enough to support thousands of simultaneous connections without issue unless it is overloaded. More often than not, your connection is the primary factor in your gaming experience in a server-based game. Essentially, if another player connects that has a poor connection, this will not affect you.

In a peer-to-peer based game like Super Smash Bros., your connection to the other player(s) will 100% affect you. That means even if you have a great connection but are connected to someone with a very poor connection, you will experience lag. And vice-versa! Both parties will experience symptoms of the game freezing and input lag. The game does this to try to let the other person "catch up" to real-time. The distance you are away from the other person and network interference may also contribute to lag if either connection is poor.

Second, the 3DS is a portable gaming console that is not known for having the most powerful hardware. Granted, it is far ahead of portable consoles of the past, but relatively speaking it is still weaker than most laptops and even some smartphones as far as processing power is concerned. One can also conclude that the wireless card in the 3DS isn't super powerful either.

I did a quick test using my 3DS,a Chromebook and my wired PC. I ran a speed test using my Chromebook and achieved around 30 Mbps (higher is better). Using my wired PC, I achieved 82.25 Mbps. Using the same connection in the same location, the 3DS achieved around 1 Mbps using MobileSpeedTest.com. All were connected to a 100 Mbps connection with the laptop and 3DS being connected wirelessly. So as you can see, there is some sort of bottleneck in the 3DS that keeps it from achieving great speeds. That could be the processor, RAM, the wireless card or the type of storage. What does all that mean? Well, if the 3DS was only able to achieve 1 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection, you can imagine what that would be like on a slower connection that is being used by several devices and/or has a lot of interference. But, we will get to that later.
NNID: KangXi
3DS FC: 1822-1476-9086
(edited 4 years ago)

KangXi
4 years ago#2
Q. Alright, so I think I understand a little bit more about this lag stuff. What can I do to make it better though?

A. Glad you asked! There are a few things you can try to at least make sure you are not the cause of lag while playing online.

1. Try playing closer to your router. This can help minimize interference and give your 3DS a stronger connection.

2. Minimize interference. This means not playing an in area that has a lot of wireless devices such as laptops connected wirelessly, cell phones and other wireless devices.

3. Don't use public WiFi. While public WiFi may be convenient (and free), using it to try to play this type of game probably will not work well.

4. Get faster internet. Going back to the test we ran earlier, you may need to get faster internet especially if your wireless connection is supporting multiple devices.

5. Don't download/stream while playing. Tying up your connection on other tasks certainly will not help the situation unless your connection is very good.

6. Try 1vs1. Minimizing the number of people in a game also minimizes the chance of someone having a poor connection.

7. Keep trying. If you are adamant that your connection is not the issue, simply keep trying. Again, the experience you have will depend on all parties connected. If you are not the issue, you are bound to connect to someone that has a great connection as well at some point. If you cannot find a relatively lag free match after connecting to 10+ different people, then you may indeed be the issue.

Q. Alright, thanks. I'll look into those things. But hey, I connected via local multiplayer to some friends and still lagged! What gives?

A. This goes back to interference. You and your friends may be playing in an area that has a lot of interference. You should try moving to a different area if you can.

In conclusion, having lag-free matches online is possible and has been documented hundreds of times by now online on YouTube, Twitch and personal experiences including my own. My personal advice would be to try playing For Glory and keep trying until you get good lag-free matches. If that doesn't happen, well, see #7 above.

Thanks!
(edited 4 years ago)

KangXi
4 years ago#3
Requesting a sticky would be appreciated!

Please let me know if i should include anything else!

Thanks again.

KangXi
4 years ago#4
Moving fast tonight. Bump!

User Info: Blue7

Blue7
4 years ago#5
Sticky requested! Great topic.
War:"I never change? **** you! You don't know me!" The Four Horsemen of Apocalypse on Fallout: Tactics

User Info: achimed

achimed
4 years ago#6
This is obvious stuff. Do we need a sticky for this?
It was my destiny to be here; In the box.
3DS Friend Code : 1865 - 0341 - 2854.

User Info: ZXR_ReignSlayer

ZXR_ReignSlayer
4 years ago#7
achimed posted...

Might as well sticky so there isn't 5 topics a day or so complaining about lag.

Just 2-3
3DS fc 5172-1412-9775
"If you having engram problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a purp ain't one loot me!"

KangXi
4 years ago#8
achimed posted...

Thanks for the feedback! There have been dozens of topics a day talking about this. Instead of having to repeat the same things over and over, decided to make this. So hopefully people will be able to have a better experience or at least know why they might be lagging instead of just "Smash 4 Online Sucks!"
(message deleted)

User Info: CaioNV

CaioNV
4 years ago#10
I don't know why do you label as obvious answers to questions being made up to five times per day.
GRABBIN' PEELZ! http://i.imgur.com/LkSWXBA.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
  3. Super Smash Bros. Online Lag FAQ V2