Link is not an avatar. He has personality. He has character.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Link is not an avatar. He has personality. He has character.

User Info: Jakerific44

Jakerific44
2 years ago#241
Hotel_Security posted...
Link is not an avatar. He has personality. He has character.

This thread failed on these three sentences. He has none of these things.

Just because we can't hear his thoughts or hear him speak, doesn't mean he isn't a character.

Just imagine in your head if they replaced Link with a monkey. Then imagine all the scenes with him and see if they'd still "work," considering that everyone else accepts that he's a monkey. He could still brainlessly smile at people, he'd still do a confident and determined nod when asked to do stuff and he'd still mindlessly run off to do whatever task anyone asked of him without a word. NOTHING would change. When a character is easily replaced by anything else and nothing else in the story changes as a result then it's not much of a character.

Heck, they've changed the Links in every game and they're so generic that most people don't even notice. If you didn't pay attention to the lore, you'd think they're all the same guy.

And before another person once again puts words in my mouth, I'll repeat this for the 10th time: I'm not saying Link is deep or complex.

Well good, because this would be a moronic take.

You've got WW Link who throws himself off a cliff in a fit of rage trying to save his sister. That's some personality.

That's generic "hero determination" that any main character in the same place would also do. Now, if Link stopped short of jumping because he has a fear of heights then THAT would be a unique character trait that sets him apart from others. But he doesn't have that.

Also that same Link goes to fight Ganondorf without realizing his sword can't damage him. And then you've got OoT Link who f***s up and lets Ganon into the sacred realm.

Neither of these events required even a single thought from Link, let alone personality.

How many of my posts have you read? Of course people think that the Links are all the same guy- thanks for proving my point. It's because all of the Links make the whole of "Link", the spirit of the hero. He's an iconic character who I believe does not need to be changed into a completely emotionless avatar.
Generic or not, it doesn't matter. A generic character is still a character and better than a blank slate.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/HikariJake

User Info: mp443556

mp443556
2 years ago#242
^Should replace Link with a robot instead because monkeys have personality and character.

What we could do to see that Link has character is consider what the game does and does not allow us to do and take that as the basis for determining his character. For example, not being able to kill NPC's, Majora's Mask aside, would imply that Link has some sort of moral restriction against this, though we can also see that he believes in using violence when he has justification, for he has no trouble attacking certain human enemies. On the other hand, breaking pots in people's houses and abusing certain lesser animals might suggest many things; among them being that he is capable of anger, that he is apathetic to those he doesn't know, that he cherishes violence whenever its not too unacceptable, etc.
"They have shown themselves to be that which they hate, that which they want to chase away out of the village." -- Jesse Ball

Jakerific44
2 years ago#243
mp443556 posted...
^Should replace Link with a robot instead because monkeys have personality and character.

Are you suggesting that Link is no more than a robot? Again, I disagree. But at this point I am beating a dead horse.

User Info: mp443556

mp443556
2 years ago#244
Jakerific44 posted...
mp443556 posted...

Are you suggesting that Link is no more than a robot? Again, I disagree. But at this point I am beating a dead horse.

No, I'm more closely saying that if one wanted to show that Link had no character or personality then we should choose a comparison which isn't capable of consciousness or any real thought.
In doing this we would see that he does have at least fragments of a personality as he would, in certain cases, differ from a robot.
"They have shown themselves to be that which they hate, that which they want to chase away out of the village." -- Jesse Ball

Jakerific44
2 years ago#245
mp443556 posted...
Jakerific44 posted...
mp443556 posted...

No, I'm more closely saying that if one wanted to show that Link had no character or personality then we should choose a comparison which isn't capable of consciousness or any real thought.
In doing this we would see that he does have at least fragments of a personality as he would, in certain cases, differ from a robot.

Ah, okay. That makes sense, sorry for misunderstanding.

User Info: -Erika-

-Erika-
2 years ago#246
Jakerific44 posted...
Hah, one of my posts got modded for 'flaming'. Yet all of the off topic posts and Erika purposefully trying to 'insult' me by bringing up otakus for some reason are seen as perfectly acceptable. Beautiful.

Get rekt.
Joshi Spirit

User Info: AshkeAngel

AshkeAngel
2 years ago#247
mp443556 posted...

What we could do to see that Link has character is consider what the game does and does not allow us to do and take that as the basis for determining his character. For example, not being able to kill NPC's, Majora's Mask aside, would imply that Link has some sort of moral restriction against this, though we can also see that he believes in using violence when he has justification, for he has no trouble attacking certain human enemies. On the other hand, breaking pots in people's houses and abusing certain lesser animals might suggest many things; among them being that he is capable of anger, that he is apathetic to those he doesn't know, that he cherishes violence whenever its not too unacceptable, etc.

I play my Links as if they have some sort of pottery and poultry phobia stemming from childhood trauma and lingering PTSD.

Jakerific44
2 years ago#248
AshkeAngel posted...
mp443556 posted...

I play my Links as if they have some sort of pottery and poultry phobia stemming from childhood trauma and lingering PTSD.

I play my Batman as a murderous psychopath who runs over and blows everyone up with the Batmobile due to being abused by Alfred after Alfred tortured Bruce's parents and murdered them with a banana in a restroom (I created that backstory for him because it's a video game, I can do whatever I want with the characters ^^).
My Batman also loves to dance because when I spin the analogue stick around on my controller he looks like he's doing a spinning dance. Batman is such a funny guy when he spins like that!
I'm so happy that Rockstar made a Batman game because now I can create my own Batman!!!
Now if only I could make Batman a female, that would be perfect! I have trouble identifying with him when he doesn't have the same genitals as me... :(

User Info: paco1995

paco1995
2 years ago#249
Jakerific44 posted...
True, but I would like Nintendo to show it a bit more in depth like this video.

Why? You'd basically hammer down whatever Link's struggle is to the player. If anything, they could add a few subtle reactions or something else to show Link's feelings on certain events. But that format where you tell the player every f***ing thought that goes through the guy's head is too much.

And yet some users here still would like to be in denial that Link is indeed a character.

Well, of course they do since the guy shows any sort of personality in like 3 or 4 games of the bunch. And what is shown is pretty small.

Hotel_Security posted...
That's generic "hero determination" that any main character in the same place would also do.

No, that's a guy really pissed off at the fact that his sister got kidnapped.

Neither of these events required even a single thought from Link, let alone personality.

That's because those events were aimed at the part of Jacob's post that had to do with Link making mistakes.
"Paco is better than me." WellComeOn talking about Smash

User Info: AshkeAngel

AshkeAngel
2 years ago#250
paco1995 posted...
Jakerific44 posted...
True, but I would like Nintendo to show it a bit more in depth like this video.

Why? You'd basically hammer down whatever Link's struggle is to the player. If anything, they could add a few subtle reactions or something else to show Link's feelings on certain events. But that format where you tell the player every f***ing thought that goes through the guy's head is too much.

+1

Good Storytelling 101: "Show, don't tell."
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Link is not an avatar. He has personality. He has character.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived