• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Just started playing this. Thoughts so far.
Sega9599 4 months ago#21
I do like how certain other staples from the open world or wrpg genres aren't here. For example, weight isn't a factor, you don't get weighed down by the amount of stuff you carry. You don't have to upgrade your materials bag (or even your wallet like past Zeldas).

Also, fast travel is available almost right from the start, with no penalties at all.

No magic or mp to deal with. Previous Zeldas....never really used magic like traditional wrpg open world games. I guess spells would have been cool to wield, maybe instead of elemental swords, coloured chu chu jelly allows you to embed elemental power into any sword bar the master Sword.

Btw, I defeated my first guardian with the MS. How was I supposed to know that it was excellent for chopping them up???

You don't have to deal with guards (those yuga guys count as bandits I guess, but they can't engage you without you talking to them - i did like how i saved one only for her to turn on me!) or bribes or anything like that. Dialogue options compared to most other wrpg/open world games isn't quite as fruitful, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

I guess weapon durability is the micromanagment of the game. No pesky skill trees, use armour and recipes instead to boost your status.

You also can't really permanently fail quests (from what I've seen).

Enemy variety isn't quite as varied. It doesn't matter to me, but it is something I've noticed. You do get.....some variation of enemies depending on where you are but not as much as ...well just as much as some wrpgs I guess lol

No settlement build up, although someone did mention they were building a house in hateno village....

For that part, no invasions or village attacks. I'm not saying I want online Invaders destroying me, but...it might be nice to have to rescue previous places from under attack.

Despite all this, the game is still amazing in my eyes. Once again, Zelda sits between RPG and Action games in it's unique mix of both.

Needed: New Pokemon Puzzle League, Shining Force and Left 4 Dead....
Sega9599 4 months ago#22
So.....

Beat the bird guardian, whatever he's called. The game tried to throw me off with some puzzles, but got through. The master sword feels like a cheat code for the guardian bosses though. Cuts through them like butter.
Not much side quests to get to him, just a quick target practice and we're off. I loved flying around him and seeing the world below. It makes me wish the Wii U had more power, so all the detail remained even when far away.

Next up, went straight down to Gerudo territory. In the highlands there is a ridiculously strong Lynel, he breaks my royal and guardian shields in one hit. Weapon is like....74 attack, highest I've seen so far.

Lot lot lot of exploring and korok seed gathering. So so many hours spent grabbing chests and killing enemies.

Gerudo city itself, interesting that you have to dress up as a female before you can enter. Only now do I take seriously the elixir creation, as you can't just buy equipment to offset heat resistance.

Yiga clan hideout was the next place I was totally stuck on for a long time. I kept getting spotted and having to fight impossible battles vs 3 of the Yiga soldiers. They're easy 1v1, but with the annoying ninjas, plus 3 or even 4/5 of them at once, and their OHKO attacks...

Finally I gave up trying to sneakstrike all of them, and just settled for sneaking past. Master koga was pretty easy though. It's weird because you can climb out of the hideout showdown area, I wonder if I could have glided in straight to him from above?

Next exploring the desert. Another insane labyrinth. I wander around for hours before discovering the correct route. The map should correspond to the layout!!!

Then a fight with molduga. Bomb in his mouth and it's not bad. Got clothes. Few quests, 7 heroines, follow swordsmen, the weird tall statues/matching orb pattern quest, the noble pursuit (i love how she says she loves drinking the most after the quest - this Zelda definitely kept it's edge), GSCâ—‡ club with expensive equipment.
Sadly all my money went to the 10,000 fairy in the bottom left of the map.

Before I tackle the divine beast with the helmet, I still need to find the 8th heroine quest.

I didn't know you could use both bombs at once - had a shrine literally called the two bombs.

Beautiful views.

I'm in two minds whether to unlock the S and SE of the map before continuing.

Also, I'm very curious about beating Ganon early with no divine beasts or master Sword. How early can you do it?
Stanger5150 3 months ago#23
You can go fight Gannon as soon as you leave the Great Plateau (beginning of the game)
Super Mario Maker 2: BlackRain* XDY-6B2-1KF
Sega9599 3 months ago#24
Stanger5150 posted...
You can go fight Gannon as soon as you leave the Great Plateau (beginning of the game)

How viable is that though? Beating him with maximum 6 hearts and rusty broadswords?

Anyway.
I beat the last divine beast. Kept exploring the south and southeast of the map. Finding tons of korok seeds.
Eventually I gave up, and the last 2 weeks I've used a guide. Turns out there were a lot of quests and shrines I missed. Long grind though, I almost got sick of the game.

Beat the EX champions of the ballad also. The first part with the obliterator was quite a challenge. Couldn't get hit once. Rebeating all the bosses was also more challenging than I expected.
The extra divine beast was surprisingly more enjoyable than I expected. Well at least the first 3 rooms and the boss...

Btw, those cutscenes feel like they should have been included in the standard game. They give a bit more character to the champions.

Then I got the motorcycle. What rubbish is this? Locked the best way to travel right behind one of the final challenges in the game! It's almost useless now. Excellent vehicle though, it feels purposefully throttled to compensate for the games draw distance.

That quest, the weapon connoisseur, i searched everywhere for a standard moblin club. And I hadn't found one in the whole game, until I had to take on the four guardians in the zora uplands. Dumb. How stupid is it that the guardians during EX champion quests don't activate the master Sword? I must have used 100 arrows with my 50 royal bow on the flying ones!

The DLC Shrines seemed a bit more....inventive at times than the ones in the standard game.

Also had a huge sidequest around starting a town up! I'd spoken to the front guys in hateno village before, but the boss was at the back of the house! How was I supposed to know that??
So yeah, had to farm like 100 wood lol. Great wedding sequence at the end though.

Annoying how you can't put the DLC saddle and hood onto the Giant horse.
Saying that, I saw a ghost horse near the cherry tree.....i still don't know what to do there as he runs every time.

Now I've done every shrine and quest, except for the royal guard and the royal recipe, which require searching hyrule castle. One final memory in there and that's it. Barring Trial of the sword, which I may just give a miss.
Then i get to take on Ganon.

I have enjoyed this game. I'm looking forward to Hyrule Castle.

......but I will not be replaying this one, and I don't think I have the energy for BOTW2.
(edited 3 months ago)
Sega9599 3 months ago#25
Urbosa's voice sounds like Ada Wong from RE2 og.

Anyway. Hyrule castle. Impressive atmosphere, bottom floors weren't too bad, upper floors got tough outside with lots of guardians locking on.

Found the memory where the king is a bit harsh on Zelda, along with the royal recipe/weapon/EX armour quests.
Another shrine round the back. Last one, so had to travel to the temple for the old link costume essentially.
Royal recipe was a fruitcake and a monster cake, although he only needed one of them. I'm surprised there is no recipe book to record the ingredients of dishes, unless I'm supposed to take photos of them?

So back in the castle, dead guardians stayed dead, and nice to see the master Sword work on all enemies. Went to the top to get korok seed and a hidden final piece of the ex armour. Even tamed the lord of the mountain, shame you can't keep him.

Next was Ganon. Champions took him down to half health. Not too hard, although I probably got too careless during his glowing phase, ended up having to use a lot of meals.

But doing him right at the start of the game? I'd need that attack up ex armour, or a few more hearts, or something, even with the weapons found in the castle.....that you can only carry 4 of at that stage without korok seeds! Insane.

Anyway, nice open second bout, reminds me of twilight Princess final boss. Hit the glowing points! Gave me a different horse to ride though. I hope my white horse didnt die after I neglected it for the motorcycle. I never did find epona in this game either.....

Nice end, zelda seals him ( he's never shown to have the Triforce of power?), talks about visiting the zoras domain, king comes out to watch her right at the end. I hope the next Zelda game, the queen survives past childhood, unlike in the writings of the king's diary here.

Sooo....yeah. If I'm honest, I liked the open world aspect of Hyrule castle. But I uh....think it could have been even better. A shock to see lynels in there, but....

That's it. Yeah I didn't get every korok seed, nor beat trial of the sword, but did basically everything else. No I didn't do it on master mode.

Thus ends the best Zelda game ever. A game that I will not replay in the future, unless maybe in 20 years it gets a super remaster with a completely clear draw distance and quite significant QoL additions. Possibly even make it two or 4 player co-op.

I am curious about beating Ganon early though.
(edited 3 months ago)
R_O_B_Sentry 1 month ago#26
Sega9599 posted...
Urbosa's voice sounds like Ada Wong from RE2 og.

Anyway. Hyrule castle. Impressive atmosphere, bottom floors weren't too bad, upper floors got tough outside with lots of guardians locking on.

Found the memory where the king is a bit harsh on Zelda, along with the royal recipe/weapon/EX armour quests.
Another shrine round the back. Last one, so had to travel to the temple for the old link costume essentially.
Royal recipe was a fruitcake and a monster cake, although he only needed one of them. I'm surprised there is no recipe book to record the ingredients of dishes, unless I'm supposed to take photos of them?

So back in the castle, dead guardians stayed dead, and nice to see the master Sword work on all enemies. Went to the top to get korok seed and a hidden final piece of the ex armour. Even tamed the lord of the mountain, shame you can't keep him.

Next was Ganon. Champions took him down to half health. Not too hard, although I probably got too careless during his glowing phase, ended up having to use a lot of meals.

But doing him right at the start of the game? I'd need that attack up ex armour, or a few more hearts, or something, even with the weapons found in the castle.....that you can only carry 4 of at that stage without korok seeds! Insane.

Anyway, nice open second bout, reminds me of twilight Princess final boss. Hit the glowing points! Gave me a different horse to ride though. I hope my white horse didnt die after I neglected it for the motorcycle. I never did find epona in this game either.....

Nice end, zelda seals him ( he's never shown to have the Triforce of power?), talks about visiting the zoras domain, king comes out to watch her right at the end. I hope the next Zelda game, the queen survives past childhood, unlike in the writings of the king's diary here.

Sooo....yeah. If I'm honest, I liked the open world aspect of Hyrule castle. But I uh....think it could have been even better. A shock to see lynels in there, but....

That's it. Yeah I didn't get every korok seed, nor beat trial of the sword, but did basically everything else. No I didn't do it on master mode.

Thus ends the best Zelda game ever. A game that I will not replay in the future, unless maybe in 20 years it gets a super remaster with a completely clear draw distance and quite significant QoL additions. Possibly even make it two or 4 player co-op.

I am curious about beating Ganon early though.
Great well done, do try out Master Mode, you get golden enemies lol and health of every enemy will regenerate.

This will make you run away from everything. You are definitely more prepared on the second run
Hi ! I'm Omochao. @_@ ) I'm here to help you.
Ah... My, my... <3 I foresaw your arrival, Mario. -- Merluvlee, Paper Mario
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Just started playing this. Thoughts so far.
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A